• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little known / experimental aircraft

HuggyU2

None
Look at a satellite photo of Edwards AFB. Then look at the NE corner of the intersection of Rosamond Blvd and Forbes Ave. There is an airplane junkyard.

The first time I stumbled across this place was 1996. I walked in and couldn't believe what I found. Too much to write, but that Mustang "Enforcer" was sitting in the junkyard. Incredible.

I would guess there's still some amazing stuff in there.

jmcquate

Contributor
Look at a satellite photo of Edwards AFB. Then look at the NE corner of the intersection of Rosamond Blvd and Forbes Ave. There is an airplane junkyard.

The first time I stumbled across this place was 1996. I walked in and couldn't believe what I found. Too much to write, but that Mustang "Enforcer" was sitting in the junkyard. Incredible.

I would guess there's still some amazing stuff in there.
Is that an X-15 fuselage?

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
Another truly innovative, and ridiculously clever program is the Armed Overwatch program. Again a lot of folks thought "it will never happen".

Behold the Air Tractor OA-1K aircraft. Funded, approved.

Have to think NAVAIR would be all over this for NSW.

View attachment 36791

So who is actually going to be allowed these guys? Would they need to go through the T-38 pipeline?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I disagree. Looked at Africa lately? That’s just one example. As evidenced by the customers I see at work, I don’t think the need for armed overwatch is going away any time soon. Plenty of countries love the idea of a cost-effective ISR/light attack platform. If nothing else, it frees up high-value assets for the missions only they can do.

If your customers ever want something with more kinematic capability than dusty crophopper, a worldwide logistical tail, and the survivability of ejection seats, give me a call. ?
1. Not a USN/USMC theater or mission
2. Neither USN or USMC has the budget or personnel anyway.
3. To the extent they need this, UAS can handle most of the requirement. The fact that a Cessna Caravan was considered tells you that gun fighting was not a threshold requirement.
4. Great plane for local allies to fly COIN missions so we don’t have to.
5. When shit really goes down, they can still call for jets.

Think about it like a requirements officer in the Pentagon. The capability gap of air support not already covered by UAS, helicopters, and jets is tiny. It’s not worth programming for, especially considering the overhead costs incurred.
A decent plane for a small number of AFSOC types, but a distraction for everyone else.

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
1. Not a USN/USMC theater or mission
2. Neither USN or USMC has the budget or personnel anyway.
3. To the extent they need this, UAS can handle most of the requirement. The fact that a Cessna Caravan was considered tells you that gun fighting was not a threshold requirement.
4. Great plane for local allies to fly COIN missions so we don’t have to.
5. When shit really goes down, they can still call for jets.

Think about it like a requirements officer in the Pentagon. The capability gap of air support not already covered by UAS, helicopters, and jets is tiny. It’s not worth programming for, especially considering the overhead costs incurred.
A decent plane for a small number of AFSOC types, but a distraction for everyone else.
Suits me. FMS and direct-foreign military sales are more fun anyway.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Another truly innovative, and ridiculously clever program is the Armed Overwatch program. Again a lot of folks thought "it will never happen".

Behold the Air Tractor OA-1K aircraft. Funded, approved.

Have to think NAVAIR would be all over this for NSW.

View attachment 36791

So what % get Air Tractors? :D

Sorry, sorry, I couldn't help myself.