• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little known / experimental aircraft

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
This one might have been posted before, but here is the Convair R3Y. It is kind of fitting considering our recent amphib C-130 discussion.

50670C0E-A437-42CC-9585-AA553727C541.jpeg
The aircraft set several records and for the most part could haul a lot of stuff.
D0AA11CE-FCEB-4236-A42A-B871BA977BEA.jpeg

18C55AFC-21B9-4C14-8EE2-C214E358673E.jpeg
However the engine and propeller combination was a terror and the aircraft lasted only a short time. Still, it has kept hold of the seaplane airspeed record. Take a look at this remarkably complex flight engineer station!
550BDC66-24EA-454E-83B0-5D3118C86A00.jpeg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

1668721028335.png

“The U.S. has a comparative advantage in maritime capabilities for special operators — surface and subsurface capabilities — in our naval component," he said. "These are areas of comparative advantage to the United States. And so the question is, how can AFSOC help put those Naval Special Warfare operators closer to their targets and extract them where they need to be extracted?

AMAZES me how the current (and historical) crop of HSC, HSM, and VRx community leaders (O-5 and O-6's) lack such motivation to support NSW to continue to a cede that mission to AFSOC. Its laughable at this point. AFSOC will do an amphibious MC-130, it will be successful and will be deployed at scale.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This one might have been posted before, but here is the Convair R3Y. It is kind of fitting considering our recent amphib C-130 discussion.

View attachment 36745
The aircraft set several records and for the most part could haul a lot of stuff.
View attachment 36746

View attachment 36747
However the engine and propeller combination was a terror and the aircraft lasted only a short time. Still, it has kept hold of the seaplane airspeed record. Take a look at this remarkably complex flight engineer station!
View attachment 36748
FE panel with throttles. Gotta love that. I wasn't so lucky on the 727 and DC10 panel.

hscs

pilot

View attachment 36750

“The U.S. has a comparative advantage in maritime capabilities for special operators — surface and subsurface capabilities — in our naval component," he said. "These are areas of comparative advantage to the United States. And so the question is, how can AFSOC help put those Naval Special Warfare operators closer to their targets and extract them where they need to be extracted?

AMAZES me how the current (and historical) crop of HSC, HSM, and VRx community leaders (O-5 and O-6's) lack such motivation to support NSW to continue to a cede that mission to AFSOC. Its laughable at this point. AFSOC will do an amphibious MC-130, it will be successful and will be deployed at scale.
It’s not a lack of motivation.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

View attachment 36750

The Naval Aviation Twitterverse was gaga over this one.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Another truly innovative, and ridiculously clever program is the Armed Overwatch program. Again a lot of folks thought "it will never happen".

Behold the Air Tractor OA-1K aircraft. Funded, approved.

Have to think NAVAIR would be all over this for NSW.

SDKMLLYI6JAXVHY2PZXYHB62ZY.jpg

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Another truly innovative, and ridiculously clever program is the Armed Overwatch program. Again a lot of folks thought "it will never happen".

View attachment 36791

Put it in the KS, TX, and OK air guard…they’ll find plenty of tail-dragger pilots with experience in that very aircraft! While it looks cool, I doubt the Navy cares at all about aviation elements for NSW. Side note, I’m surprised they didn’t recall the OV-10.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Put it in the KS, TX, and OK air guard…they’ll find plenty of tail-dragger pilots with experience in that very aircraft! While it looks cool, I doubt the Navy cares at all about aviation elements for NSW. Side note, I’m surprised they didn’t recall the OV-10.
Good point. Enlisted Operators are already flying NSW owned Beech 1900's, King Airs, and Caravans.

Endurance/loiter times was a metric OV-10'S would probably not make. And it's a dated design.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Good point. Enlisted Operators are already flying NSW owned Beech 1900's, King Airs, and Caravans.

Endurance/loiter times was a metric OV-10'S would probably not make. And it's a dated design.
I certainly get the endurance and loiter time issue, but a turbine-powered, conventional gear crop duster is hardly a “modern” design.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

View attachment 36791

I don’t know why everyone has such a hard-on for Armed Overwatch and related programs. It’s a niche mission with less relevance everyday.

Leave it to AFSOC and the security assistance types. The Navy and Marine Corps don’t have enough force structure for that type of orphan airframe.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I don’t know why everyone has such a hard-on for Armed Overwatch and related programs. It’s a niche mission with less relevance everyday.

Leave it to AFSOC and the security assistance types. The Navy and Marine Corps don’t have enough force structure for that type of orphan airframe.
I disagree. Looked at Africa lately? That’s just one example. As evidenced by the customers I see at work, I don’t think the need for armed overwatch is going away any time soon. Plenty of countries love the idea of a cost-effective ISR/light attack platform. If nothing else, it frees up high-value assets for the missions only they can do.

If your customers ever want something with more kinematic capability than dusty crophopper, a worldwide logistical tail, and the survivability of ejection seats, give me a call. ?

Last edited: