• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little known / experimental aircraft

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The Sikorsky S-67 Balckhawk (yes, Blackhawk). This attack helicopter was developed without defense funds by Sikorsky in an attempt to displace the Cobra and its new variants. It was fast, heavily armed, could even carry six troops but it lost out to the Apache.

Sadly the ship crashed while on a European sales tour so further development was halted.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Certainly not little known, but some good photos of the original YB-52 first flown in April 1952.

The B-52’s first flight was April 15, 1952 – over 63 years ago. (Notice the B-36 in the background.)

In 1964, a B-52 configured as a testbed to investigate structural failures flew through severe turbulence, shearing off its vertical stabilizer. The aircraft was able to continue flying, and landed safely.

In 1972, B-52 tail-gunner Albert Moore shot down a MiG-21 over Vietnam. It was the last recorded bomber-gunner to shoot down an enemy aircraft.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Happened to see this today: the NB-36 Crusader. A B-36 that was powered by a nuclear reactor hanging in the bomb bay.

A B-29 Superfortress next to the XB-36 in testing.

An air-to-air view of the Convair NB-36H experimental aircraft (s/n 51-5712) and a Boeing B-50 Superfortress chase plane during research and development taking place at the Convair plant at Forth Worth, Texas.

Detail of Convair NB-36H nose section. Note the aircraft has its original designation of XB-36H

Convair NB-36H left nuclear engineer’s panel.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Happened to see this today: the NB-36 Crusader. A B-36 that was powered by a nuclear reactor hanging in the bomb bay.

View attachment 30741
A B-29 Superfortress next to the XB-36 in testing.

View attachment 30742

An air-to-air view of the Convair NB-36H experimental aircraft (s/n 51-5712) and a Boeing B-50 Superfortress chase plane during research and development taking place at the Convair plant at Forth Worth, Texas.

View attachment 30743

Detail of Convair NB-36H nose section. Note the aircraft has its original designation of XB-36H

View attachment 30744

Convair NB-36H left nuclear engineer’s panel.
I don't think the NB-36 was actually nuke powered. Instead, it had normal B-36 powerplants and a working reactor in the bomb bay. But although the reactor was on it didn't drive the props. Also it had 12in thick lead glass windows. And if it crashes imagine the poor SDO? Filing aircraft and nuclear mishap reports at the same time.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
There have been a few articles lately about seaplanes: one from National Defense about special operations and one from Proceedings about seaplane tankers. All roads seemingly point to the C-130. Looks like Lockheed made a scale model back in the 1960’s called the unoriginal Hercules On Water.

Pags

N/A
pilot
There have been a few articles lately about seaplanes: one from National Defense about special operations and one from Proceedings about seaplane tankers. All roads seemingly point to the C-130. Looks like Lockheed made a scale model back in the 1960’s called the unoriginal Hercules On Water.

View attachment 30820
I know Japan has a few amphibians with their US-2s. Are there any other countries that actively fly large amphibians?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

View attachment 30820
I think it makes an attractive amphib with classic flying boat lines.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I feel like this idea died back in the early 60s with the P6M. I mean, who doesn't love a seaplane and maybe some seaplane tenders? But otherwise this just seems like AFSOC trying to figure out how to stay relevant in the Pacific in a way that doesn't involve boats.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I feel like this idea died back in the early 60s with the P6M. I mean, who doesn't love a seaplane and maybe some seaplane tenders? But otherwise this just seems like AFSOC trying to figure out how to stay relevant in the Pacific in a way that doesn't involve boats.
The tenders will help get up closer to that 500 ship navy.