• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Likelihood of being selected to go P3?

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Lol yes it is. I guess I just didn't word it that way.

69311c75_mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpeg

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I'm prior enlisted and came from the P3 community. It's what I know, and I know exactly what I'm getting myself into by going P3. Becoming a P3 NFO is the reason I joined the program...to eventually become a TACCO on a P3. I didn't even request to go pilot. I've had my eyes on P3 NFO since day-one.

This too, shall pass.

mid1510

It's irrelevant. Whether there's a Hawkeye draft or not, whether they're funneling everyone into Prowlers/Growlers or into TACAMO, IT DOESN'T MATTER. You're going to almost definitely love your platform whenever you find out what it is, with few exceptions. Each community has its goods and its others, but each community is VERY good at talking itself up to get the new guys excited about it.

For example, jets are where all the PR is made, but their FOs are sometimes perceived as a redundancy in a platform that also has a single-seat variant.

The Hawkeye is a big, slow, ugly monster of a bird, but the FOs in the back are some of the most tactically savvy folks in the entire aviation community.

P-3s are getting some new American-built hotness to fly around in, so you might have that to look forward to.

Of course, everyone in every community is going to come back with their own interpretation of how the NFOs are viewed. Just my point of view, YMMV.

Point is, quit the worrying about what plane you're gonna get and just be hungry for time in the air. If you're not flying, you should be wishing you were. If you are flying, you shouldn't give two shits what aircraft you're flying in and be thankful that they're actually paying you to go have so much fun in the air.

Just a quick community plug...I wanted P-3s out of Primary too, then I selected E-2s out of intermediate (everyone in my class got P-3s but me and the dudes who wanted jets) and I absolutely love being in the Hawkeye. For NFOs, there's no better gig, and you can take that to the bank. Chill out about 'desperately wanting' a platform. You should be satisfied desperately wanting to fly. That'll get you where you wanna go.

I'm just a mid, and my opinion really doesn't matter, but I have a few questions about your post.

How is being a ECMO in a Prowler/Growler perceived as a redundancy?

Also, yes, there are single-seat Hornets but how do you explain that the majority of NFOs that are CAGs are from TACAIR? It seems that what they do is not redundant if they are being promoted to those positions.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I'm just a mid, and my opinion really doesn't matter, but I have a few questions about your post.

I believe he answered your question by saying that there are also single seat variants certian aircraft (F/A-18 C/D or the E/F). To those pilots, a second person in the cockpit might seem redundant, as they can function without that second person. At least this seems to be the point that desertoasis was trying to make. Whether or not the perception truly is reality. . .well, that's out of my lane, I'll let someone else address that topic.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor

Also, yes, there are single-seat Hornets but how do you explain that the majority of NFOs that are CAGs are from TACAIR? It seems that what they do is not redundant if they are being promoted to those positions.

I should have said Hornets/Rhinos, since that's what I was referring to. You've got me dead to rights on that one.

For the (exhaustive) discussion of why a higher percentage of CAGs, pilot or NFO, come from TACAIR as opposed to E2/C2, Prowler/Growler, and Helos, see this thread. I'm not gonna rehash it here or start that argument up again...

And just for the record, I didn't say that the TACAIR backseaters are ACTUALLY a redundancy, its just that's what someone might say if they're trying to discourage someone from going into that community. I think it's total crap, to be honest.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I should have said Hornets/Rhinos, since that's what I was referring to. You've got me dead to rights on that one.

For the (exhaustive) discussion of why a higher percentage of CAGs, pilot or NFO, come from TACAIR as opposed to E2/C2, Prowler/Growler, and Helos, see this thread. I'm not gonna rehash it here or start that argument up again...

And just for the record, I didn't say that the TACAIR backseaters are ACTUALLY a redundancy, its just that's what someone might say if they're trying to discourage someone from going into that community. I think it's total crap, to be honest.
Just to correct a misperception in your post, Prowler/Growler is TACAIR and their NFOs are well represented in the CAG club. Maybe you meant to say VFA.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
If you get your hands on P-8, it should be exciting as well. On the ground floor of any new platform should be interesting. I'm happy that my timing will be as such that I flew the T-34...will get one 3P deployment in the P-3 and be able to fly the P-8 as well.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
By the way, Hope is NOT a course of action.

If you've done your best in Primary, talked with your production officer as well as your advisor/on-wing, and put P-3s as your number one choice, then you've done all you can do. Now its up to the needs of the Navy.

-ea6bflyr ;)

MasterBates

If you get your hands on P-8, it should be exciting as well. On the ground floor of any new platform should be interesting. I'm happy that my timing will be as such that I flew the T-34...will get one 3P deployment in the P-3 and be able to fly the P-8 as well.
Except this violates the zeroth law of Naval Aviation.

Never fly the A model of ANYTHING.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Do you know what squadron you're going to yet?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Chances of misery, hate, discontent, and self loathing? Oh, right around 100%. Enjoy! :)