• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Likelihood of being selected to go P3?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
so just call for the option....?
A lot of times a pilot trainer will end on a no flap or 2 engine landing. He/she may have had every intention of making it a full stop but were just not in a position to make a safe landing and had to wave off. Thats my best guess.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that since you guys are all brainwashed/programmed to request permission, nobody has ever tried to do otherwise, thus nobody has had their "nuts hammered" for not doing it. :D
Brett

Tried it at Bahrain International because ground was so clogged with heavies requesting starts, pushback, taxi, etc. They made us shut down and sit on deck for almost an hour before they would even acknowledge us on the radio. Probably the only day in my life I've been thankful to operate out of Shaikh Isa.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
If we could convince the jax helos inbound to the seawall or crossing under us at 500' to talk on uniform, we'd have an all around happy airspace thing going on.
Okay, what the shit folks. You're at a military installation and talking on VHF?

WHO DOES THAT.
WHY.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The bitch of it is that there are also a crap ton of other items that must be briefed verbatim from NATOPS before you can let the stud touch down. A lot of studs will rush through and try to get it all briefed, even inside the 180, and end up waving off when they can't get it done.

Sometimes, though, we just need to see a waveoff from the student.
Why not just hold somewhere until all NATOPS items are cleaned up/briefed and once ready to land you exit holding?
Is it considered bad form to try and rush to get this stuff out? I mean, it's a 3 engine landing, it's not like you're plummeting from the sky and you've got the time to brief it right.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Is it considered bad form to try and rush to get this stuff out? I mean, it's a 3 engine landing, it's not like you're plummeting from the sky and you've got the time to brief it right.

Very bad form, on both accounts (rushing the brief or plummeting from the sky).

SlickAg

pilot
Norfolk always required "Griffin xx radio check engine start LP-27"

Which meant about 5 minutes of confusion on ground, if they answer at all

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk

That's NATOPS requiring a radio check before engine starts, not Norfolk.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
That's NATOPS requiring a radio check before engine starts, not Norfolk.

Not to be confused with the 20 minute long comm check that occurs when a P-3 turns over to another P-3 on-station.

I gained contact on a sub but couldn't report it since we were being 'comm jammed' by two P-3's!

MasterBates

Your TMS NATOPS requires a radio check before engine starts?

Brett

Not to my recollection. Otherwise how the fuck would I launch out of uncontrolled fields, or the boat.

Then again.. I never memorized stuff beyond limits and EPs, because the RAG had a "STOP" manual that almost contradicted NATOPS in more than one spot.

Pleas post Chapter & Verse where a Radio Check is a NATOPS requirement.

I threw out my E-2 NATOPS after I used it for DITY weight, but I never remember seeing that, and can't really check.

You sure it's not STOP or an SOP?

(Neat fact.. 120's STOP manual does not have the force of law outside 120.. But try telling a RAG IP or RAG wannabe that)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to be confused with the 20 minute long comm check that occurs when a P-3 turns over to another P-3 on-station.

I gained contact on a sub but couldn't report it since we were being 'comm jammed' by two P-3's!

It's always fun playing the I'm tx no rx on this radio, but the aircraft I'm relieving is tx no rx on another radio (or vice versa, or whatever) game. Broke ass comm systems are awesome!

81montedriver

pilot
Very bad form, on both accounts (rushing the brief or plummeting from the sky).

Hell yes it is. Not sure how the other 4-engine bubbas do it, but every couple of flight hours across the country, there is a J-model base somewhere where we could potentially get support. If I find myself in a 3-engine situation and my wing is not on fire, i'm going to these locations: 1. home 2. USMC J-model base 3. USAF or USCG J-model base.

Even with three engines, once I get all procedures completed and she is all trimmed up, I am allowed to turn on the autopilot and fly however long I need to.

Now if it turned into a 2-engine scenario...

SlickAg

pilot
Pleas post Chapter & Verse where a Radio Check is a NATOPS requirement.

Chapter 7 Shore Based/General Procedures - Pilots

7.9 Before Starting Engines

6. Establish ICS communications with at least one member of the CIC crew, if present, and confirm if they are ready to start. In addition, a UHF/VHF radio check with ground control facility is required.