• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life of a Naval Aviator, how you manage work and personal life.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Not sure where else to post this question but I was wondering if anyone can provide insight on how people get tours in Japan. I was reading this article (https://www.airlinepilotcareers.com/post/a-day-in-the-life-f-a-18-naval-aviator-dylan-aaker) and he mentions that he had to live in Japan for 4 years. Is he actually living there the entire time? How does one get in to/avoid that situation?

In my case, I asked. I had a background for the job I was taking and had a window of opportunity for the 2 months of school I took beforehand. Detailer happily obliged in sending me as far as I could tell.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Not sure where else to post this question but I was wondering if anyone can provide insight on how people get tours in Japan. I was reading this article (https://www.airlinepilotcareers.com/post/a-day-in-the-life-f-a-18-naval-aviator-dylan-aaker) and he mentions that he had to live in Japan for 4 years. Is he actually living there the entire time? How does one get in to/avoid that situation?
I asked to be sent and the detailer was happy to have a body for a hard fill billet. Yes, you live in and deploy from Japan for the duration of your orders.

WannaFlyHigh

Generally speaking, you will have very little say in where you are eventually stationed. Sometimes that will be overseas. If that is unsettling to you, perhaps consider other non-military career opportunities.
I understand that. I’m just gathering all the facts so I can plan appropriately for the future. Nothing wrong with knowing all your options.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
In my spouse's experience, it seems like you get orders to Japan (twice) by really, really not wanting to go. And yes, you live there. Depending on timing and which base, you may be able to choose between living in military housing or out in town, or you may be required to live in military housing. We've done both and each has advantages and disadvantages.

It seems like most of the time, if you request to go, there is a very good chance you will. There is also a decent chance you will, even if you don't request or want it, so you need to be prepared to be sent to wherever your aircraft is housed.

croakerfish

pilot
I understand that. I’m just gathering all the facts so I can plan appropriately for the future. Nothing wrong with knowing all your options.

You can absolutely get screwed into going overseas. I spent my first fleet tour in Guam and it was pretty evenly split between those of us who fought to go overseas and those who got sent there kicking and screaming. Ironically, the people I know who whined the most while actually there speak the most fondly of the experience after the fact.

I highly recommend it. As a first-tour aviator, you can go to Japan (Atsugi, which is Tokyo-adjacent or Iwakuni, which is far west near Hiroshima), Guam, Honolulu, or Rota Spain. It’s a blast. As previously mentioned, if you go forward-deployed later in your career the pain to pleasure ratio is significantly worse.

WannaFlyHigh

You can absolutely get screwed into going overseas. I spent my first fleet tour in Guam and it was pretty evenly split between those of us who fought to go overseas and those who got sent there kicking and screaming. Ironically, the people I know who whined the most while actually there speak the most fondly of the experience after the fact.

I highly recommend it. As a first-tour aviator, you can go to Japan (Atsugi, which is Tokyo-adjacent or Iwakuni, which is far west near Hiroshima), Guam, Honolulu, or Rota Spain. It’s a blast. As previously mentioned, if you go forward-deployed later in your career the pain to pleasure ratio is significantly worse.
I personally would not mind an overseas tour. It just is a harder situation when you have an SO who also has dreams and aspirations and you sort of have to give them the hard pill to swallow.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I personally would not mind an overseas tour. It just is a harder situation when you have an SO who also has dreams and aspirations and you sort of have to give them the hard pill to swallow.

You both need to be prepared for the possibility. If you aren't, DO NOT join the Navy, or DO NOT marry this person (if you aren't already married).

Now, being prepared for the possibility can look a few different ways. Most typically, it will mean her putting a pause on those dreams and aspirations (and dealing with the fact that it is hard to just unpause most careers without seeing significant backsliding). But some people choose to separate their family for those 2.5-3 years, living apart. That can be hard on the relationship and the finances, but easier on the SO's dreams and aspirations. Don't forget to take into account children, if there is any chance you will have them before you leave the Navy. It's one thing to say that you are okay living apart from your spouse for 3 years, and another to say that you are okay living aprt from young kids for that long, and for your spouse to be okay having no one with whom to share the day-to-day realities of childrearing (and the affect that can have on dreams and aspirations). It's easy to just think you will cross that bridge if and when you come to it. That's a massive mistake. It's also easy to think that you will just work it out. Also a mistake. Have specific conversations and think through these things as much as you can when it is just theoretical to really determine if it is for you. Sure, it may not happen. But it can.

And frankly, even if you don't go overseas, it can still be a pretty significant hit to dreams and aspirations. You move across country. After a few months or maybe longer, she finally finds a job that is aligned with those dreams. And then 2 years later, you get orders, and she starts over. And maybe you live in a place not conducive to those dreams. And depending on her career, there can be issues with having to get licensed in a new state before being able to practice that career. These things aren't insurmountable, but can require big sacrifices and many headaches, and also career gaps and having to constantly start over, making it hard to move up.

Again, if you both aren't ready for that, you need to really rethink either the Navy or the relationship.

jakebacc

44 5/7/7; GPA: 3.46; Pro-Rec: Y SNFO; Class 02-23
Hey been doing some research and can’t seem to find a straight answer. Does a WSO in the super hornet or EWO in a growler have final release controls for any weapons systems? If so which weapons systems? I know they laze targets for air to ground, but do they have final release? Thanks.