• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life of a Naval Aviator, how you manage work and personal life.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
So I did a lot of research on this topic via google and searching threads on AW but found a lot of the stuff is outdated or talked briefly in random threads. No body has really spoke up on this in recent years (Post 2015) so I would like hear from some of the recent (or not) people who have already gone through their first Naval aviation commitment. How many deployments did you go though in your first 10-11 years, and how long were they? How many times did you move? Did you have a family? How did you manage your career and personal life, as in when did you get married/have kids/other big things? I hear delay getting married often but when do you know is the right time. How did your spouse or significant other manage their career? Any other important things to consider when following through with this profession? Stuff like that.

I know it's a lot of questions but I feel these are the things loved ones are curious about when you tell them about a career in Naval aviation.

Our Wing commander in my first squadron was a firm believer in spending time with your family and a work life balance. He encouraged us to spend time between 1630 on Saturday and 0730 on Monday morning with them. He expected us to be available to him outside of that. Worked 8-12 hours a day 5 days a week with random duty days thrown in and weekend flying most weekends when not deployed. 3 deployments, with a more relaxed pace than the home cycle.

Shore tour, the training command was behind in production so everyone was expected to “volunteer” to fly 2 weekends a month on top of the 5 days a week.

Boat tour was mostly overnight duty every 3rd day for most of it plus a 9 month deployment and pointless underway periods 3-4 weeks long.

4 deployments, 5 moves. Work was very time consuming. The successful folks were single or had very independent spouses that were content and capable managers of the homestead on their own for extended periods of time. The ones who didn’t ended up divorced in short order. Home maker was the predominant spousal career path with the most success, followed by nurse (or a combo of the two) that allowed easy transplantation when the new set of orders popped.

WannaFlyHigh

Our Wing commander in my first squadron was a firm believer in spending time with your family and a work life balance. He encouraged us to spend time between 1630 on Saturday and 0730 on Monday morning with them. He expected us to be available to him outside of that. Worked 8-12 hours a day 5 days a week with random duty days thrown in and weekend flying most weekends when not deployed. 3 deployments, with a more relaxed pace than the home cycle.

Shore tour, the training command was behind in production so everyone was expected to “volunteer” to fly 2 weekends a month on top of the 5 days a week.

Boat tour was mostly overnight duty every 3rd day for most of it plus a 9 month deployment and pointless underway periods 3-4 weeks long.

4 deployments, 5 moves. Work was very time consuming. The successful folks were single or had very independent spouses that were content and capable managers of the homestead on their own for extended periods of time. The ones who didn’t ended up divorced in short order. Home maker was the predominant spousal career path with the most success, followed by nurse (or a combo of the two) that allowed easy transplantation when the new set of orders popped.
Was it unheard of to have a spouse who worked in healthcare as a Doctor or Physicians Assistant? I know nurse is more common but how about the more senior positions?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Was it unheard of to have a spouse who worked in healthcare as a Doctor or Physicians Assistant? I know nurse is more common but how about the more senior positions?

No, as long as the MD/DO/PA isn’t super specialized and/ or entrenched in their own practice it’s doable. Portability is the key. It/tech/social media/medical field all work well.

taxi1

pilot
Pharmacist is a good one.

I've known a surprising number of cross-service marriages. Marines and Coast Guard. Navy and Air Force (both pilots). Can't be a co-dependent in that world.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If a spouse (wife, husband, etc) wants to maintain a career it's going to take A LOT of flexibility on their part as they're just not a lot of give in the USN. That's not to say it's impossible it's just a lot harder than someone who doesn't have the USN in their calculus.

My wife was able to keep a relevant career alive throughout multiple PCSs but it wasn't easy, it had a lot of zigs and zags, and you could easily argue that it impacted her career vector.

Jobs that used to be more portable are less so due to increased licensing requirements that make taking a job from State A to B more than a simple move.

Add on top of this a spousal career that involves them being at sea for at least half of the time and I certainly you start adding kids to the mix it gets increasingly difficult. It's not impossible and plenty of spouses rise to the challenge but they'll be dealing with things their college buds aren't.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Your appliances are evil and are always watching, timing their demise for maximum chaos. Even the garage door opener.

I'm pretty sure I posted on AW once asking for suggestions on how to fix my garage door which was stuck closed. Some percussive maintenance took care of it, thankfully.

Speaking from a spouse perspective, OP, but regarding the question of how well a spouse can maintain a career, it's a solid, "it depends" and any other answer is kind of bullshit. For the first ~10 years of Spouse's career and our marriage, we were in one place. 4 tours--FRS, JO squadron, FRS instructor, SWTI. I was able to get established, work my way up, and finally have a Big Girl career. Then... Japan. Not something was asked for or wanted or saw coming. Fine... I'll take 3 years off. Except after those 3 years came... Germany. Cool. That's recoverable. Except after that came... Japan--once again not wanted, requested, or suspected. All in all, I was out of the working world (other that part time English teaching in Japan, which was a phenomenal experience but does nothing for my resume) for a decade. We got back to the US and while I could have found a job a server or barista, and would have if necessary, finding another Big Girl job was pretty much impossible. I was worse off than a new college grad, as far as I could tell. We've been back about 2 years. I haven't worked a paid job since. And that really fucking sucks. We don't have kids. We never wanted kids. I was a career person. We loved being DINKS; the SINK lifestyle is still great, but finding ways to spend my time that are fulfilling can be a challenge.

We briefly considered a geo-bach situation for Japan 2.0. I could have moved to the States, gotten an apartment and a job, and visited a few times a year. But it wasn't the right choice for us.

I wouldn't make any different choices if I had them to do over again with the benefit of hindsight, but it has definitely been hard.

Sometimes, you end up doing 10 years/4 tours in the same place and your spouse's career will be similar to what it would have been if you were a civilian. (Although, if you have kids and she is doing 100% of the child-minding while you are deployed, that can be a factor.) And sometimes, you end up bouncing around overseas for a decade, and nearly any career she has is going to be affected, if not downright extinguished. And sometimes, you do both of those.

Even a medical doctor or PA is going to struggle if you end up overseas. Yes, there are military hospitals or clinics but no, they aren't often hiring US civilians. School teacher is one of the very few that can somewhat reliably work overseas, and even that may not work in some locations. (I'm thinking of Bahrain, for example, which has an International School, not a DOD school, so I'm not sure what their hiring looks like. Or you end up at a NATO base or something like that.)

Bottom line is that the spouse needs to be prepared for those scenarios and ready to accept them, or you both need to be prepared for 2-3 years, or more, living apart (and consider what what would feel like if you have young children who you end up seeing for ~3-4 weeks a year.) If it doesn't happen, be pleasantly surprised. But if you and they can't stomach the idea, then it's probably pretty risky to join your lives in holy matrimony while those things are possibilities.

WannaFlyHigh

I'm pretty sure I posted on AW once asking for suggestions on how to fix my garage door which was stuck closed. Some percussive maintenance took care of it, thankfully.

Speaking from a spouse perspective, OP, but regarding the question of how well a spouse can maintain a career, it's a solid, "it depends" and any other answer is kind of bullshit. For the first ~10 years of Spouse's career and our marriage, we were in one place. 4 tours--FRS, JO squadron, FRS instructor, SWTI. I was able to get established, work my way up, and finally have a Big Girl career. Then... Japan. Not something was asked for or wanted or saw coming. Fine... I'll take 3 years off. Except after those 3 years came... Germany. Cool. That's recoverable. Except after that came... Japan--once again not wanted, requested, or suspected. All in all, I was out of the working world (other that part time English teaching in Japan, which was a phenomenal experience but does nothing for my resume) for a decade. We got back to the US and while I could have found a job a server or barista, and would have if necessary, finding another Big Girl job was pretty much impossible. I was worse off than a new college grad, as far as I could tell. We've been back about 2 years. I haven't worked a paid job since. And that really fucking sucks. We don't have kids. We never wanted kids. I was a career person. We loved being DINKS; the SINK lifestyle is still great, but finding ways to spend my time that are fulfilling can be a challenge.

We briefly considered a geo-bach situation for Japan 2.0. I could have moved to the States, gotten an apartment and a job, and visited a few times a year. But it wasn't the right choice for us.

I wouldn't make any different choices if I had them to do over again with the benefit of hindsight, but it has definitely been hard.

Sometimes, you end up doing 10 years/4 tours in the same place and your spouse's career will be similar to what it would have been if you were a civilian. (Although, if you have kids and she is doing 100% of the child-minding while you are deployed, that can be a factor.) And sometimes, you end up bouncing around overseas for a decade, and nearly any career she has is going to be affected, if not downright extinguished. And sometimes, you do both of those.

Even a medical doctor or PA is going to struggle if you end up overseas. Yes, there are military hospitals or clinics but no, they aren't often hiring US civilians. School teacher is one of the very few that can somewhat reliably work overseas, and even that may not work in some locations. (I'm thinking of Bahrain, for example, which has an International School, not a DOD school, so I'm not sure what their hiring looks like. Or you end up at a NATO base or something like that.)

Bottom line is that the spouse needs to be prepared for those scenarios and ready to accept them, or you both need to be prepared for 2-3 years, or more, living apart (and consider what what would feel like if you have young children who you end up seeing for ~3-4 weeks a year.) If it doesn't happen, be pleasantly surprised. But if you and they can't stomach the idea, then it's probably pretty risky to join your lives in holy matrimony while those things are possibilities.
Thank you for giving your perspective. Did the Japan, Germany, Japan gig all occur in the first commitment?

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Thank you for giving your perspective. Did the Japan, Germany, Japan gig all occur in the first commitment?

No. Japan 1.0 was for his Department Head tour, which started at about ~~10 years of service. I'm not sure what the winging commitment is like these days, but I'm pretty sure you can get out before what would be your DH tour. But you can just as easily be sent to Japan (or Guam, or Spain) for your JO tour, which is your first tour after you are finished with your training (winging, plus the FRS where you learn to fly your specific aircraft, then you do your JO sea tour). Second tour (so still within your commitment) would be less common to get sent overseas, but they definitely exist.

Pags

N/A
pilot
No. Japan 1.0 was for his Department Head tour, which started at about ~~10 years of service. I'm not sure what the winging commitment is like these days, but I'm pretty sure you can get out before what would be your DH tour. But you can just as easily be sent to Japan (or Guam, or Spain) for your JO tour, which is your first tour after you are finished with your training (winging, plus the FRS where you learn to fly your specific aircraft, then you do your JO sea tour). Second tour (so still within your commitment) would be less common to get sent overseas, but they definitely exist.
Or disassociated tour. Turns out "unusually arduous sea duty" isn't a joke when they put it on your orders.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Not sure where else to post this question but I was wondering if anyone can provide insight on how people get tours in Japan. I was reading this article (https://www.airlinepilotcareers.com/post/a-day-in-the-life-f-a-18-naval-aviator-dylan-aaker) and he mentions that he had to live in Japan for 4 years. Is he actually living there the entire time? How does one get in to/avoid that situation?

Most overseas postings are volunteer basis because there’s usually a line of people wanting to do it. But, like anything, sometimes people are forced to go.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure where else to post this question but I was wondering if anyone can provide insight on how people get tours in Japan. I was reading this article (https://www.airlinepilotcareers.com/post/a-day-in-the-life-f-a-18-naval-aviator-dylan-aaker) and he mentions that he had to live in Japan for 4 years. Is he actually living there the entire time? How does one get in to/avoid that situation?
Generally speaking, you will have very little say in where you are eventually stationed. Sometimes that will be overseas. If that is unsettling to you, perhaps consider other non-military career opportunities.