• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Licenses after winging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jboomer said:
Yeah, I read the FAR/AIM. That thing isn't written very clearly. Doesn't get into the specifics I was looking for either.
Why do people always want to lump the FAR's and AIM into one? They're two completely seperate pubs. Don't answer that, it's rhetorical. I guess I thought you were asking about specifics on how to get your civilian licenses, and by reading others' responses, so did they. Reading the FAR's and understanding what it means comes with practice. Though, with that said, much of it is still left up to interpretation, unfortunately.

jboomer said:
That's where I am now. Your last post pretty much sums it up I guess. I hoped FBO's were pretty "standardized" that way a blanket comment would be mostly accurate involving all FBO's but as mentioned by you and the variety of other requirements added by other posters in this thread that's not the case at all. It is odd though that it's the actual instructors making those decisions at the local FBO...but, I guess everyone's story is different so it's easier to lay down their requirements on an individual basis. If I could get one of these guys on the horn maybe I could get some real answers.
I guess my last recommendation would be to try to get a hold of the Chief Flight Instructor for the flight school / FBO you are looking to rent from. If he/she isn't able to answer your question(s), I'd be concerned about flying their aircraft anyway.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, I know. Hence why I said the question was rhetorical. It simply amazes me that there are pilots that can't discern between the FAR and the AIM as if they're both the same thing. Not saying there are Naval Aviators in the bunch that would do that, but......well, you never know.

CavemanOgg

I have a suggestion. Call the nearest FSDO to you and maybe a couple of FBO's to see what the procedures are. The gouge you get will probably be closer to 100% and up to date to say the least.
[/QUOTE]

haha, Call a FSDO and your likely to hear the guy on the other end break out the reg's and read them back exactly as you read them 5 minutes earlier. actually, no, they know everything....

nugget81

pilot
[/QUOTE] It is odd though that it's the actual instructors making those decisions at the local FBO...but, I guess everyone's story is different so it's easier to lay down their requirements on an individual basis.[/QUOTE]

Now the instructors don't make the decisions here...the FBO owner does (and his boss is the insurance company). As such, there will be a minimum number of hours (in aircraft category and type, sometimes model also) that the pilot is required to have.

I've gotten checkouts at a few different FBO's and yes, each is different. Generally speaking, they will require 1 hour of ground instruction which usually covers the FBO's policies and procedures, and an aircraft test (V-speeds, EP's, systems, etc). This is typically followed by a flight covering the basic manuevers (stalls, slow flight, EP's, landings). If you want to conduct IFR operations while renting, then you'll likely have to show that you are instrument competent (not just current) by shooting some approaches and holding.

Now this may sound real simple and all, but no one mentioned it in this thread earlier. I hope this clears up a few things and takes the mystery out of the FBO checkout.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
But the reality is the FBO isn't making money unless they rent out their aircraft. The FBO's CFI job is to make sure you can fly the thing without breaking it in the process - but apart from that, you are a big boy/girl.

Take time to study any airplane you are not familiar with. Sit in the cockpit for a spell - before you start flying it, etc. Build yourself a little syllabus and you will be quite surprised how much better you feel.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I've been talking to the local FBO the last couple of weeks and had my first flight today (in their C-152). I flew a .6 in the pattern this morning (5 t&g's) and will fly an hour or so tomorrow (stalls and a couple more t&g's), then a short test on performance numbers and they'll sign me off. They just want to make sure you can land the airplane safely (first 1/3 (where have I heard that before?)) and know what to do if you inadvertantly stall it.

I took the commercial test 2 weeks ago and now I'm waiting for my NATOPS jacket to be updated so I can take it, my log book, and my winging certificate to Jackson to get the actual Commercial Instrument ticket. No passengers until that card is in my pocket. But, all in all, it's a relatively painless process.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Their 152 is like $48/hr (wet) instructors are $25. I haven't seen anything else out there, maybe something in the hangar. Time to slide over to ebay to bid on some headsets. They want $10/hr for theirs.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
Thinking of getting my CFI/CFII so I can instruct part time if I have any spare time. What is a good price for this? I heard VA pays 60%?

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
jboomer said:
Their 152 is like $48/hr (wet) instructors are $25. I haven't seen anything else out there, maybe something in the hangar. Time to slide over to ebay to bid on some headsets. They want $10/hr for theirs.

Or, you can just come buy the Northwoods and borrow mine. Theve been in the closet for a long time. Just hook me up with the gouge for all the crap your doing.

KBayDog

BigWorm said:
Or, you can just come buy the Northwoods and borrow mine. Theve been in the closet for a long time. Just hook me up with the gouge for all the crap your doing.

What's been in the closet? Your plane? Your instructors? Your headsets?

;)

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
Mefesto said:
I would wait until after your first fleet tour. You don't want the pain in the ass of 1.)earning a CFI and 2.) keeping it current. It's not like a commercial certificate, it expires, and if you don't renew it you lose it. It's not an easy ticket to earn.

Boomer... Ebay for headsets. If you wanna drop the cash, my Bose X's are the best thing going. Words can't describe how awsome they are, especially when I was flying 8 hour days by myself. However for just recreational use, you can get your self couple of pairs of David Clarke's pretty cheap. I recommend the H10-13.4's. Retail if I remember mine were like 250-300 bucks, so you should be able to find some on Ebay for a good deal.

What are the currency requirements for CFI?

nugget81

pilot
CFI currency requirements: see FAR 61.197 for all the fun details, but to sum it up...

a CFI certificate is valid for 24 calendar months from date of issue; you can renew it in a few different ways: 1. By passing another practical exam (i.e. CFII, MEI); 2. Prove to the FAA that you've endorsed at least 5 students for a practical test with at least an 80% pass rate on the first attempt; 3. Get a letter from your company showing that you are a check pilot, chief flight instructor, or flight instructor in a part 121 or 135 operation (airlines); 4. (the easiest way) Obtain a graduation certificate by passing an approved flight instructor refresher course.

Aren't you glad the FAA makes this so easy and not confusing?

As for headsets, I started with the David Clark 13.4's but I wouldn't trade my Bose X's for anything in the world...

Geese

You guys are dangerous.
Michael W said:
I had the reverse experience, even though I took all with different examiners. My initial CFI was by far the easiest checkride I had taken thus far, topped only later by my CFII and then MEI. I think it had something to do with actually having all those books their ready to reference if I needed them, even though they never got opened. I was lucky enough to walk out of the FSDO with license in hand around 12:30 when the guy who did my checkride was notorious for working people over till 4-5 in the evening. Like all checkrides, I think it has to do with how you set the tone during the first initial questions. Oddly, I think it's funny how much I can remember stressing over this checkride, and how little I'd stress over 4 hour 121 system orals. The more you take, inevitably the more you take, the less exciting they become.

I think as we progress with our ratings we get more comfortable with checkrides and eventually figure out that we don't have to fly "perfectly", but just within a set of standards. When I took previous checkrides I was always apprehensive and I just thought that I had to fly "perfect".

Now I don't think I'll ever have a checkride where I am completely "relaxed" or not a little bit nervous, but the more checkrides I take the better I get at taking checkrides and the more "relaxed" (still a relative term) I am.

For the CFI checkride, you should have complete mastery of the aircraft and feel very comfortable with it, those pesky power off 180s are always a b*tch, but overall you should be pretty well prepared by the time you get there.

There's a time when you dread checkrides....and then there's a time when you figure out that you'll be taking them for the rest of your life...

Status
Not open for further replies.