• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Let's see your guns!

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
1/8th... 1/10th... hey, who's counting? ;)

Hey...IR major...the point stands.

BTW...I checked and that group would be just a few hundreths of an inch from the Benchrest heavy varmit world record....

My disbelief is growing....

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Ah yes, here we go again.

Your telling me you shot a 1/10th of an inch group, at 200 yards, with no rest, factory ammo, and open sights....and a semi-automatic weapon????

I don't know you from Adam but...this is benchrest rifle accuracy...and seems a little hard to believe.

I guess some people just don't have the ability to believe anything on these boards, regardless of prior postings, but hopefully without having to continually argue these points, yes I did shoot that group.

Let it be noted that I hate having to list the following, but I suppose I have to for support of my point. Oh well.

Additional info on my setup that day:
-National Match Grade M-1. Set up by some of the best armorers in the Navy, so very capable of shooting tight groups.
-Federal Gold Match is one of the best, if not the best, ammo loads out there, yes, straight from the factory. Ask around, you'll see. Quite a few shooters I met at the OTC in Colorado Springs and the AMU in Fort Benning use it.
-Absolutely no wind, I mean none. I've never seen a day so calm.
-Leather shooting jacket, so yes, I can feel the shots between heart beats, plus shooting pad.
-I have better than 20/20, but considering I don't look at the target when I shoot, doesn't make much difference (repeat after me: sight alignment, sight alignment, trigger control....sight alignment.)
-Single shot loading, slide back and locked after every shot and bullet was individually hand loaded.
-Finally, it was just one of those great shooting days, when everything just clicked and every bullet seemed to know exactly where to go.

If you ask any truely competitive shooter they'll say that state/national/world records are broken in practice quite often. Why? Pressure mainly, specifically match pressure. Add on to that fact that matches that can record legitimate records are fewer than the number of matches available (i.e, world records only at World Cups, Olympics, etc), the pressure builds. I'll be the first to admit that pressure gets to me, has in the past while shooting and may again.

Anyways, if you read the post closely, that's my Best group, not my Average, which I think matters more than best group size. My average is quite a bit larger than that, and it keeps getting bigger because of my continually decreasing time available to practice my shooting.

Oh yeah, like I said in another post, I do currently hold a NRA national shooting record. Please don't think I'm saying that to brag "look at me", but that I have demonstrated ability to shoot that well before.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Anyone else have pictures of their guns? That's the point of this thread anyways, and I've got a huge addiction to gun-ography! :icon_tong

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I guess some people just don't have the ability to believe anything on these boards, regardless of prior postings, but hopefully without having to continually argue these points, yes I did shoot that group.

Come on...not like your asking me to to believe that you are really 21 or something here.

If you say you shot it, I won't turn it into a protracted debate...but you have got to understand...especially if you are the shooter you say that you are why I have a hard time swallowing that you made this....
MVC-031S.JPG

Shoot as well as this...
JIM_30_BR.jpg

There....some pics to get this thread back on topic....;)

navy09

None
Do you guys have any input for a first handgun? I like the glock and sig (though i've only shot the G22/23). This isn't for ccw or home defense...just plinking with the guys. I'm thinking 9mm for the cheap ammo. What other mainstream alternatives are there to glock and sig? Any with an external safety?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you guys have any input for a first handgun? I like the glock and sig (though i've only shot the G22/23). This isn't for ccw or home defense...just plinking with the guys. I'm thinking 9mm for the cheap ammo. What other mainstream alternatives are there to glock and sig? Any with an external safety?

9mm is a good choice for a "fun gun". Ammo is of supreme cheapness, unless you want to play with .22, which is just ridiculously cheap.

SIG, Glock, HK, Walther, Springfield Armory, etc. to name a few.

Are you looking for a full-size pistol? Medium-sized?

I'll give you my diatribe on external safeties on semi-auto pistols. If it is a double-action design such as a SIG or a Glock, they're about the most useless thing you could have on the pistol. They are very important on single-action designs (1911s). But, if you're looking for one, Beretta and Ruger.

6pack

Those of you that do have guns did you get a discounted price since you are in the military and if so how much or did you have to pay the full price?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Those of you that do have guns did you get a discounted price since you are in the military and if so how much or did you have to pay the full price?

Unless the gun shot just has a military discount... buying personal weapons as a military member doesn't entitle you to anything special. You're just Joe-civilian to them.

Like cars, if you're paying MSRP for a gun, you're being raped.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor

Ruger MKII...

I'm thinking 9mm for the cheap ammo.

Ummmmm...no. Cheap is 10$ for 500 rounds...not 50. (Bit of an exaggeration but you get the point.)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ruger MKII...

Ummmmm...no. Cheap is 10$ for 500 rounds...not 50. (Bit of an exaggeration but you get the point.)

Yep, .22 definitely the way to go for super cheap (though 9mm shouldn't cost you $10, if it is, shop elsewhere). It's just not as fun :) That being said, a .22 is an essential in any arsenal.

navy09

None
Are you looking for a full-size pistol? Medium-sized?

I like the look of the medium size better (e.g. Glock 19), but that's just me. I have no practical purpose for a medium vice a full-size.

I'll give you my diatribe on external safeties on semi-auto pistols. If it is a double-action design such as a SIG or a Glock, they're about the most useless thing you could have on the pistol.

That's kind of what I figured since a lot of the big name brands don't have one. Chances are that it will spend 99% of it's time in my house locked up, so it's not a big deal. I think I want to get a Concealed Carry Permit (pretty easy to come by in Arizona) just in case...but I wouldn't feel too comfortable carrying it around regularly, especially without an external safety.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I like the look of the medium size better (e.g. Glock 19), but that's just me. I have no practical purpose for a medium vice a full-size.

That's kind of what I figured since a lot of the big name brands don't have one. Chances are that it will spend 99% of it's time in my house locked up, so it's not a big deal. I think I want to get a Concealed Carry Permit (pretty easy to come by in Arizona) just in case...but I wouldn't feel too comfortable carrying it around regularly, especially without an external safety.

If you are going to be carrying, you may want to look into the medium frame pistol...

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator

When I was shopping for my first handgun I was looking 9mm as well. Cheapest ammo (except .22) and effective w/ a good hollow point. I was originally way into the G19 because of it's size, quality and price. I ended up w/ a .40 P229 because I got a helluva deal on it used. If I had not found this gun when I did, I probably would have gotten a glock 19 for about 500. I think it is great for the price. A P228 or a 9mm P229 would be great too, but at least 200 more than the glock. Currently trying to find a way to get the G19 anyways....the cost of .40 is starting to annoy me.

navy09

None
Thanks for the help guys...I think I'll end up going with the G19. From everything I've read and heard it seems like a solid entry level handgun. I'm also really cheap, so I can't justify the extra $200 just to look like Jack Bauer :D

C-Mike

Have you looked into the Sig Pro 9mm (SP2022)? I would say it qualifies as a medium frame pistol. It is smaller than the P226, however slightly larger than the P229. As it is a polymer frame pistol, you'll save a couple ounces if you are considering carrying it, and it is also cheaper than the other Sig varieties. The pistol comes standard with adjustable Trijicon night sights.

Cheapest place I found on web (new) was $479.00 at http://policeguns.com/2006/cart.cfm?CFID=10154&CFTOKEN=16278410&id=prodview&ProductID=5644
(non two tone is $459.00)

I don't have a vast amount of knowledge when it comes to firearms, but I have had no problems with the SP2022 and would suggest it.

What opinions exist regarding the Sig polymer frame pistols?

...I can't justify the extra $200 just to look like Jack Bauer :D

You can get pretty close with the two tone Sig Pro, and without the price. :D