• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lemoore Is Tough to Get On!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I used class A in the verb sense, as in "that shit's not going to buff out."

I have no idea how they're pursuing it officially.

Yeah, wasn't directed at you specifically, just generally asking. I would not be surprised if an AMB was formed anyway. But I'm jaded that way.

HuggyU2

None
Anyone who has anything to do with Lemoore knows the pop-up bollards get more than their fair share of work every day. The fact that they weren't triggered in time for this incident boggles the mind...completely ridiculous.
Word in the street is the bollards were triggered.... Right after the perps passed them... and effectively stopping the law enforcement vehicles in pursuit.
The girl was decapitated.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I missed this when it happened. To see it play out more than validates the critical posts above. Security was totally AFU. At the time, were they contract, DOD police, or Federal Protective Police? I am thoroughly shocked at the response.

I was a bit surprised that it seemed like the Tactical Flight Officer had a hard time tracking the suspect. Most CHP and CA large muni airborne crews are highly skilled at these sort of things.

I was glad the helo crew landed. Lots of units, especially muni units, are not allowed to land and assist. In my agency, we would land and the Tactical Flight Officer would get out. The pilot NEVER got out, and some of our volunteer pilots were not even armed. Here we saw both crew get out. And, they got out pretty quickly after they landed. When one of the crew walked back to the aircraft you can hear him say on the radio they were going to shut down and be there awhile. So, apparently, the pilot got out and left the aircraft turning? The helo guys here know that I takes a few minutes to allow for cool down and rotor to stop turning (if you don't have a brake, which CHP likely does not).

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Here we saw both crew get out. And, they got out pretty quickly after they landed. When one of the crew walked back to the aircraft you can hear him say on the radio they were going to shut down and be there awhile. So, apparently, the pilot got out and left the aircraft turning? The helo guys here know that I takes a few minutes to allow for cool down and rotor to stop turning (if you don't have a brake, which CHP likely does not).
The "Navy" in my brain cringed a lot about both of them hopping out of a turning helicopter, but-

the rest of my brain is considering the tactical situation and figures those cops probably know their job better than I know their job- pilot back up his partner, they have a really good shot at rolling this guy up if they act right now before he changes his mind, and the rest of the uncertainty of the situation (when will the base cops show up, how many other people are in the vehicle). Crank down the friction on the flight controls and very carefully watch your step on the way out. That helicopter isn't going anywhere, nothing short of a one-in-a-million hydraulic malfunction or other weird mechanical things that simply aren't going to happen.

(Except if the perp circles around and tries some GTA level shit. How many "stars" do you get for hopping in the police helicopter?)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I missed this when it happened. To see it play out more than validates the critical posts above. Security was totally AFU. At the time, were they contract, DOD police, or Federal Protective Police? I am thoroughly shocked at the response.

I was a bit surprised that it seemed like the Tactical Flight Officer had a hard time tracking the suspect. Most CHP and CA large muni airborne crews are highly skilled at these sort of things.

I was glad the helo crew landed. Lots of units, especially muni units, are not allowed to land and assist. In my agency, we would land and the Tactical Flight Officer would get out. The pilot NEVER got out, and some of our volunteer pilots were not even armed. Here we saw both crew get out. And, they got out pretty quickly after they landed. When one of the crew walked back to the aircraft you can hear him say on the radio they were going to shut down and be there awhile. So, apparently, the pilot got out and left the aircraft turning? The helo guys here know that I takes a few minutes to allow for cool down and rotor to stop turning (if you don't have a brake, which CHP likely does not).

I dunno what model this helo is but I know some commercial operators of the 206 (and I think 407) will just use the collective friction knob at max to keep the aircraft on the ground with the rotors spinning and no one in the cockpit.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
The helo guys here know that I takes a few minutes to allow for cool down and rotor to stop turning (if you don't have a brake, which CHP likely does not).

Yes engine cooldowns are typical. Not exactly a requirement in a situation like that. Not exactly hard to throw a colllective strap on or engage the collective trim to prevent movement. Honestly, I’d probably just chop throttles in a situation like that. Maybe pop on the APU if you got time and have one.

I have heard of CBP MD pilots flying single piloted and roping illegals up in what almost sounds like a modern version of a airborne human rodeo in a similar manner. Apprehend then, tag them, throw some bottles of water, mark the position, take off, and then call in the ground units to pick them up. Not sure if that’s done anymore.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I believe that's a 407, which has the 2-minute cool down (and no APU). The Army guys seem to have no real issue getting out at idle, I've noticed. I can't remember if the 407 has a collective lock, but the aircraft I fly does. Once you put the collective lock on (which is different than friction), it's not going anywhere unless some bizarre issue happens, which is good, because if you don't have the lock on, the collective likes to creep up during startup. Or so I've "heard."

or engage the collective trim to prevent movement.

A lot of the civilian helos don't have 4-axis autopilots, so there is no collective trim/autopilot channel, just cyclic and pedals.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is clear the pilot wanted to back up the TFO and he certainly justified leaving what appears to have been a turning aircraft. I can't know their SOP regarding exiting the aircraft or mutual back up. BUT, long before those guys were aircrew they patrolled CA highways alone several minutes from back up and had to deal with situations like this, and maybe worse, many times before. The TFO was going to take care of it himself, until the pilot asked him to wait for him. Obviously, the TFO was OK with going it alone. But then again, you always should use all the tools in the tool box. Partner by your side is better then partner in a helo yards away.

PMPT

I am thoroughly shocked at the response.

If you listen to the audio, the guys in the CHP Helicopter literally ask out loud 'are base security supposed to be coming for these guys or what?', clearly being surprised by the apparently free roam these two had over the flight line. Ludicrous.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you listen to the audio, the guys in the CHP Helicopter literally ask out loud 'are base security supposed to be coming for these guys or what?', clearly being surprised by the apparently free roam these two had over the flight line. Ludicrous.
With a RAG jet just bouncing away in the FCLP pattern like it's NBD, too. Let's make the helo doing real-world LE ops climb 1000 feet so LTJG Snuffy can get a few more looks at the ball . . . :rolleyes:

Python

pilot
Contributor
With a RAG jet just bouncing away in the FCLP pattern like it's NBD, too. Let's make the helo doing real-world LE ops climb 1000 feet so LTJG Snuffy can get a few more looks at the ball . . . :rolleyes:

He was a squadron CO. Not that that affects your point. I landed just a moment before he launched.