• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Legal Officer School

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Looks like I lost the new guy roulette and will be going to Legal-O school in Norfolk in January. No one seemed to have much in the way of gouge around the squadron since our two current legal-o's weren't around. Anyone ever been there/have anything to add?

I feel like this was karma for sitting in my last squadron's legal-o office and constantly telling him that his life sucked. At least it will be for a VT and not a fleet squadron.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I keep hearing that legal-o sucks, but I've never heard about why...

What is it about that job that people hate so much?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I found it to be a great job. You get lots of direct interaction with the CO which can be great for establishing your reputation with them if you have your shit in one sock. I think people complain about it because it's one of those jobs like ASO where people need your expertise when bad things happen. You learn a lot about how the military justice system works and that is good for your professional development.

Brett

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
In keeping with the ASO comparison, more paperwork/rules than you can shake a stick at.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

My legal-o friends say the thing that really sucks is the unpredictable nature of your work. If you're in maintenance, for example, you know when inspections, imc, etc is coming. You never know when AN schmuckatelli is going to get drunk and punch a cop.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I started writing about my memories of Legal school back in the day at Newport. But then I remembered that was long ago, things are much different now, and my experiences would be irrelevant to today. So lets just say it was 5 weeks of agony for me as one of two aviators in a class of blackshoes.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Looks like I lost the new guy roulette and will be going to Legal-O school in Norfolk in January. No one seemed to have much in the way of gouge around the squadron since our two current legal-o's weren't around. Anyone ever been there/have anything to add?

I feel like this was karma for sitting in my last squadron's legal-o office and constantly telling him that his life sucked. At least it will be for a VT and not a fleet squadron.

When I was the legal O in the VTs, I was told going to school wasn't a requirement. Not sure if something changed, they guy I was relieving was wrong or if your CO just wants you to go, but in case it's a school you want to miss.

The good thing about being the legal O in the VTs is very little happens but when it does, it usually just requires a PIO and you're the one who gets to give that out vice actually do it.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I did the Legal O-Course in Norfolk last spring. I'm definitely glad I went. It's a pretty full three weeks but it's not hard by any means. The days were way shorter than a normal squadron workday. I think the best thing I did was to stay after class each day and do the homework. It kept me ahead and let me go to DC to party with old friends both weekends. While technically you aren't required to go, I can't imagine doing the job without it. There's absolutely no read ahead requirement. Just be ready to be power pointed to death.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
So far everything I've heard here jives with what I've been able to find out.
-The unpredictability of legal type work makes the job "interesting" but that it shouldn't be that bad in the VT squadron with no AMAN Schmuckatelli to punch any cops.
-Classes tend to be shoe heavy which will give me prime opportunity to push some buttons in SWO-land.
-Gator, I hadn't heard that it wasn't a requirement, but I'm pretty sure I'm actually going to want to go to the school so I have an inkling of what I'm supposed to do. I'm fairly certain my XO would laugh me out of her office if I tried to get out of it.
-Doc, that's exactly what I was looking for. The welcome e-mail I got from the school made it seem like it was going to be a lot of work. One of the outgoing guys said it really wasn't that bad, just death by powerpoint.....three weeks of death by powerpoint.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I did the Legal O-Course in Norfolk last spring. I'm definitely glad I went. It's a pretty full three weeks but it's not hard by any means. The days were way shorter than a normal squadron workday. I think the best thing I did was to stay after class each day and do the homework. It kept me ahead and let me go to DC to party with old friends both weekends. While technically you aren't required to go, I can't imagine doing the job without it. There's absolutely no read ahead requirement. Just be ready to be power pointed to death.
Am I correct in assuming that there's going to be about a 0% chance of getting to wear a bag in class?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Be careful what you say about flight students coming up short on young Schmuckatelli for creative ways to get in trouble. You might jinx yourself! :)

Over the past several years, flight students across the training command have gone on adventures such as running a rented civilian airplane out of gas and crashing it into the mall, high speed car/motorcycle police chase, poaching protected birds, rearranging traffic cones and signs at a construction site, making enough ruckus during the wee hours of the morning (while dressed only in skivvies while drinking in the apartment complex jacuzzi) that the neighbors call the cops with a noise complaint...

That's just off the top of my head where nobody really got hurt.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Be careful what you say about flight students coming up short on young Schmuckatelli for creative ways to get in trouble. You might jinx yourself! :)

Over the past several years, flight students across the training command have gone on adventures such as running a rented civilian airplane out of gas and crashing it into the mall, high speed car/motorcycle police chase, poaching protected birds, rearranging traffic cones and signs at a construction site, making enough ruckus during the wee hours of the morning (while dressed only in skivvies while drinking in the apartment complex jacuzzi) that the neighbors call the cops with a noise complaint...

That's just off the top of my head where nobody really got hurt.

I had to do a PIO for a stud that "wrestled" (I forget the details) with an off-duty cop/bouncer in Panama City. But like you said, it rarely results in a full blown mast.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun. Their shenanigans are cruel and tragic.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My question: what happens if you just wear a bag on the first day? Are they going to turn you away? Okay, then you can go change, but seriously, you're there to learn, not have a uniform inspection.