• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NJ Devil Dog

I AM MARINE, MARINE FIND BOX.
Hello All,

Does anyone know what is happening to the Harrier and Hornet pilots once their platforms are retired? Do they automatically go over to F-35 B’ sand C’s respectively?

It appears that the Corps is cutting down on their F-35’s order meaning there will be less F-35’s (B’s and C’s combined) than Harriers and Hornets. Does this mean that the jet spots coming out of Primary are extremely limited due to the older platform guys getting first shot at transferring over?

I tried searching and asking around but no one I ask seems to have a clue.

Thanks for help.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Many are transitioning to the newer airplane. Some are going elsewhere, some are retiring, many are getting out and going to the airlines. You can't fill a squadron with O-4s and O-5s, there will always be slots for new guys.

Same at is has been since the beginning of time when an airplane is retired.

NJ Devil Dog

I AM MARINE, MARINE FIND BOX.
Many are transitioning to the newer airplane. Some are going elsewhere, some are retiring, many are getting out and going to the airlines. You can't fill a squadron with O-4s and O-5s, there will always be slots for new guys.

Same at is has been since the beginning of time when an airplane is retired.
Thank you for the answer!

taxi1

pilot
Does anyone know what is happening to the Harrier and Hornet pilots once their platforms are retired? Do they automatically go over to F-35 B’ sand C’s respectively?
image_99966856.jpg

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello All,

It appears that the Corps is cutting down on their F-35’s order meaning there will be less F-35’s (B’s and C’s combined) than Harriers and Hornets. Does this mean that the jet spots coming out of Primary are extremely limited due to the older platform guys getting first shot at transferring over?

I tried searching and asking around but no one I ask seems to have a clue.

Thanks for help.

Believe it or not, they go straight to jail.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I heard about this the other day. It's only for pilots who are flying legacy airframes. Elon has stated he's gonna take at least 42% of all applicants.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Legacy Hornet guys are getting ~10 hours/month. Now and for forseeable future. The young Capts entering that community are being dealt a crappy hand. Lots of cyclling of airplanes between Beaufort and Iwakuni.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Something something SELRES hardware units . . .

While this is all true, I wish we could have the culture of the ANG, where you can just be a squadron pilot O-5 without an overgrade waiver. Or fly to 30 years as an O-6 on that same gameplan.

*maybe they do get overgrade waivers, but it doesn't seem that there is the same cyclical pressure to retire/send folks out to pasture that we have in SELRES.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
While this is all true, I wish we could have the culture of the ANG, where you can just be a squadron pilot O-5 without an overgrade waiver. Or fly to 30 years as an O-6 on that same gameplan.

*maybe they do get overgrade waivers, but it doesn't seem that there is the same cyclical pressure to retire/send folks out to pasture that we have in SELRES.

They do have to get overgrade waivers, but they're like candy on Halloween. I've only seen one person not get promoted to O-5 as a DSG. AGR's might have to wait a bit longer for a control grade on top of their over grade to get promoted, but DSGs put on pretty much right away. If someone is on full time orders as an O-5 they generally will have a job- flight commander is generally where we put them. Part timers come and go as they please.

O-6s in my state are group and wing commanders, or state staff weenies, so they have a day job.

RoarkJr.

Legacy Hornet guys are getting ~10 hours/month. Now and for forseeable future. The young Capts entering that community are being dealt a crappy hand. Lots of cyclling of airplanes between Beaufort and Iwakuni.
interesting, the rumint we heard is hours are good for legacy hornets. according to the avplan selections start to drop off a lot after this year, from I think 22 to 12 roughly until sundown.