• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaving Vietnam vs AFG

Pags

N/A
pilot
Probably. But I think the goal would have been to ensure the bum rush didn't include American citizens or SIVs.
I understand what you're saying but I guess I just don't see it having worked that way. I just figure if we'd waited longer people would have delayed pulling everyone out because "there's still time" and folks would have built schedules assuming they had more time. The end result would still be a madhouse but just X days/weeks/months later. We all hope that any evacuation will be women and children first, single file with a smile but my dim view of human nature says plenty of people would still wait until it's too late (like hurricanes and fires because bad things won't happen) and then there'd be a panic once the true danger sunk in.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The two guys I know are pretty smart, but I am not sure they got to decide the manner used to disable the aircraft. It's also worth considering that their intent was to temporarily disable and devalue the asset.
We are talking about phrogs and 60As here so not exactly cutting edge stuff. Very different than the Iranians getting then brand new cutting edge F-14s.

robav8r

None
Contributor
We are talking about phrogs and 60As here so not exactly cutting edge stuff. Very different than the Iranians getting then brand new cutting edge F-14s.
Maybe true, but a horrible optic for those that are paying attention and care. Here's a thought, how about some high-res Predator footage of some JDAM strikes on the aircraft and hangars before we started the withdrawal?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Here's a thought, how about some high-res Predator footage of some JDAM strikes on the aircraft and hangars before we started the withdrawal?
I suspect there's some backroom deal to get more people out after today- although I'd have loved to have seen the same thing.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Maybe true, but a horrible optic for those that are paying attention and care. Here's a thought, how about some high-res Predator footage of some JDAM strikes on the aircraft and hangars before we started the withdrawal?
I'm sure it was discussed but I wonder what led to the no? Maybe wasn't worth cost of the JDAM? or maybe there were diplomatic issues about bombing stuff that was the ANAs or in violation of treaty with the Taliban? I obviously have no idea as to what drove the decision.

SlickAg

pilot
This phone call happened on July 23rd. Think about what the public was told after this.

“In much of the call, Biden focused on what he called the Afghan government’s “perception” problem. “I need not tell you the perception around the world and in parts of Afghanistan, I believe, is that things are not going well in terms of the fight against the Taliban,” Biden said. “And there is a need, whether it is true or not, there is a need to project a different picture.””

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
In my opinion, it’s all the small arms that’s the biggest loss!
As a gun guy, I have a technical curiosity about whether the M16/M4 system can be maintained by a non-industrial force - that lacks a structure of training and maintenance rigor - or will these weapons go to the scrap heap and the users migrate back to the AK.

Wareal

Contributor
Looking forward to hearing some well considered alternative plans to what actually went down, because after digging through enough of these letters/posts/etc., the solution always seems to have been "Should've done it better, should've made sure we had the adequate resources, etc." Nothing tangible, just...should've done it better. Should've found a way to evacuate 100,000+ people without succumbing to a power vacuum waiting to collapse in on the conclusion of 20 years of occupation.

Also love all this "countries won't trust us America as a partner anymore" horseshit. Apparently I've been wildly misjudging world opinion on our occupation of Afghanistan and their measure of our success over that period of time.

POTUS had an alternative plan. In the last eight weeks he said repeatedly, in public, that he would leave no one behind in Afghanistan. Seven days ago he said, before blaming the HKIA disaster on Trump and the Afghan military "I am president of the United States of America, and the buck stops with me,..." He put Jake Sullivan and Susan Rice in his cabinet. I'm sure he considered their wise council. The same two people who advised Hillary Clinton on Benghazi.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
As a gun guy, I have a technical curiosity about whether the M16/M4 system can be maintained by a non-industrial force - that lacks a structure of training and maintenance rigor - or will these weapons go to the scrap heap and the users migrate back to the AK.
I don't think the maintenance needs are nearly as rigorous as the early versions. It's pretty well known to keep them clean and oiled- an adequate cleaning kit comes with the gun and I'm sure we left behind enough CLP to last until, well... until the next great world power shift.

I doubt there's a shortage of either Stoner's rifle or Mikhail's in that place, probably plenty of both to go around.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Seriously? You think a small piece of tin makes an aircraft airworthy? You think the "Taliban Aviation Administration" is going to frown on flying a plane without a data plate? As someone who has been part of an effort to source parts for 50 year old combat helicopters I can tell you that NO ONE ever asks for proof we have a data plate. And that is using the open legal market.
Yeah they should have removed (or just erased) the compass correction card instead!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The legend of the legendarily unreliable AR platform is in large part due to the absolutely criminal rollout during Vietnam where the beancounters refused to listen to the engineers, i.e. replacing the powder in the issue cartridge with one that fouled more, refusing to even issue cleaning gear at the individual level, refusing to chrome the bore, and so on. I mean, I get it that a DI rifle shits where it eats to some degree, but if you just clean out the bolt carrier every so often, it'll probably run. They're backwoods fundamentalist hicks, but I think we can agree based on how shit went down that we probably killed all the dumb ones.

And I'm sure the AK has an advantage in some degree, but I also think the whole genre of "look how much abuse this AK can take" YouTube videos are largely bourgeois posers abusing a perfectly good rifle. I certainly would never put any of my Kalashnikovs through that shit.