• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaving Vietnam vs AFG

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, I did not assume ALL of the targets could have been reached for capture. It certainly was not 100%. But some number could have been. That is hard to deny because it was done with a much higher frequency before. No one on this forum can say that 100% of the strikes under Obama we on targets absolutely unreachable for capture. So, we are right back where we started. It is a matter of record that the use of UAV strike increased under Obama, collateral damage went up and captures went down.

Attempting to actually capture a terrorist is often a very high risk prospect that most administrations since soon after the initial terrorists were captured after 9/11 have shied away from in many cases for good reason. The loss of Extortion 17 is a stark example of those risks.

Not only were the missions themselves high risk but as our capabilities to counter terrorist groups post-9/11 have developed I would argue that the value of capturing of high-pri terrorists has diminished as those capabilities have matured. Could there still be value? Maybe. But killing them is probably the much better option in the vast majority of cases.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Welp, the latest update/official announcement about that righteous drone strike is bad all around.

I'm scratching my head over how we made such a blunder of a mistake. Did everybody involved really get such bad tunnel vision? The only alternative I can come up with is that the other side orchestrated a thoroughly convincing information campaign of false witnesses and pictures, and that we're going along with it rather than fight it and give up whatever intel we had to authorize the strike- not impossible but highly doubtful.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Welp, the latest update/official announcement about that righteous drone strike is bad all around.

I'm scratching my head over how we made such a blunder of a mistake. Did everybody involved really get such bad tunnel vision? The only alternative I can come up with is that the other side orchestrated a thoroughly convincing information campaign of false witnesses and pictures, and that we're going along with it rather than fight it and give up whatever intel we had to authorize the strike- not impossible but highly doubtful.
Come on man… Over the horizon…

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

I’ll be the cynical one…the administration needed a “kill” to avenge the 13 people lost in what was supposed to be Biden’s history-making epic of war-ending work (he seriously asked historians what to do to mark his legacy…seriously…one even joked “If you have to ask…”). A target was randomly picked and a story developed. The rest is UAV operators and rocket propellant.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

Come on, man. That was like 15 puddings ago.

Hair Warrior

Contributor

1. I won’t question the decisions of the professionals involved in the joint targeting cycle. They are truly pros. Their task was daunting in this scenario.
  2. As an intel guy, I have a hunch on a possible straightforward explanation for what happened. Caveat: This is conjecture and with zero insider knowledge. The short version is that the Taliban and/or state actors like the ISI, China, or Russia could have exploited our fear of a 2nd attack and set us up to fail, i.e. by feeding us bad intel through a proxy we thought was credible. They gain by punctuating our withdrawal with an event sure to inflame local Afghans and paint us in a bad light across the Muslim world.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
(he seriously asked historians what to do to mark his legacy…seriously…one even joked “If you have to ask…”).
wikipedian_protester.png

SlickAg

pilot
So the General who was actually IN Afghanistan was ignored. Cool. The intel that said things were fine must’ve come from the same sources that said that car was full of ISIS-K.

“Stephanopoulos asked a third time, "So no one told -- your military advisors did not tell you, ‘No, we should just keep 2,500 troops. It's been a stable situation for the last several years. We can do that. We can continue to do that’?"

"No," Biden insisted. "No one said that to me that I can recall."”

“Mr. Biden was asked in an interview last month whether his military advisers suggested that he keep a residual force in Afghanistan to avoid a total collapse. He told interviewer George Stephanopoulos “No. No one said that to me.”

Sen. James M. Inhofe of Oklahoma, the ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, said Tuesday after the closed briefing that “we heard enough to know that there are inconsistencies between what the administration has said and the truth.””

Last edited: