• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaving My OR for a New One

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My two cents: I don't understand the whole tattoo restriction policy anyway. Tattooing is part of Navy tradition. I do understand discriminating against those with tattoos on the face.

Why do we have a tattoo restriction policy? Appearance. We are supposed to look the part and a tattoo above the neck doesn't really say 'US military' and it hasn't in at least the past 100 years. The Army has made some exceptions in the past 10 years but they needed cannon fodder, they are now pulling back on some of that with the wars winding down.

Was part of the USN tradition.

And it still is, even beyond the enlisted personnel it was historically confined to. But above-the-neck tattoos have never been part of Navy 'tradition' and it is still outside the norm in the civilian world as well.

The biggest irony is that the tattoo I'm getting removed is Sailor Jerry's Lady Poison flash.

Visible tattoos are still uncommon for officers, many more officers have tattoos than in the past but they are usually not visible when in uniform with the exception of PT gear. Quite a few people here on the board know fellow officers that do have visible tattoos up to full sleeves but they are usually prior enlisted and are still relatively rare, I can count the number of regular officers (non CWO/LDOs) I have personally personally seen with tattoos visible in khakis/flight suits on one hand. Your 'Sailor Jerry' tattoo might fit right in on the arm of a salty Petty Officer or Chief but less so on the arm of a non-prior officer and not on anyone's neck.

Hello, and thanks for the info. I just don't understand why even after getting it removed, it could still be a problem. I told my OR about my shoulder to elbow half sleeve and the two small ones on each wrist but she focused more on the one on my neck which is why I'm getting that one removed right away.

Because while it may be 'removed' it may still be visible, I think the Navy wants the option of turning someone down who had a tattoo removed but it is still obvious what was there.

Last edited:

Renegade One

None
CampB: I note that your silence on this thread is all but deafening. I hope we didn't beat you into submission.

If you can't take heat on this forum where you don't actually KNOW anyone…you'd never survive in the Fleet Wardroom/Ready Room environment where you know EVERYONE…and bunk with 1-7 of them.

If your application path has some recent "good news"…we'd like to know. It would help others in similar circumstances...

Cheers, R1