• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaving My OR for a New One

CampB

I've started a packet only a few days ago and I have my official transcripts and LORs on their way to my OR's office. But I get the feeling she couldn't care less about helping me put together a solid packet because I'm a bit of a difficult case (being tattooed, F, 28 y.o., non-prior, GPAs from five diff colleges/universities, no military connections).

I want to look for an OR who'll work as hard as I am to give me advice, guidance, and at least a fighting chance of getting selected. I've only talked to her once on the phone during my initial inquiry about the officer program and once I sent in my basic information sheet which included info re: my tattoos (chest, shoulder to elbow half sleeve, both wrists, back of the neck), she emailed me and shut me down stating my neck tattoo was an automatic disqualifier. I had to fight and ask about a waiver and even made my first appointment for laser removal. It's been about a day since she sent me the waiver application and I scanned her a copy of my birth certificate and social security number as she requested but she has yet to confirm receipt.

I don't know if she's just really busy but I just feel I'm not getting the attention I deserve.

Any advice on how I should proceed or how I can change ORs?

Thanks for your time and input.

Last edited:

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
ORs are busy people. If you go to another recruiter, your new recruiter is going to call your old recruiter and ask about you. There are a lot of people who don't need waivers who want in. The Navy can afford to be picky right now.

Be ready with the stuff that she asks for. Don't be too much of a hassle.

CampB

I understand they're busy people and the Navy has the luxury to be picky but if I have a recruiter who was more willing to guide me through the process, couldn't I have a better chance of getting into OCS?

Renegade One

None
I've started a packet ...Thanks for your time and input.
Coupla things…they probably all fall into the "tough love" category:

1. Only a few days ago? Christ on a crutch…we've got people on this forum who have been working the issues for many, many months…who died and made you Princess Diana?
2. Not sure why you think your OR couldn't care less…unless you're carrying the usual baggage from a 28 year old tattooed female who has attended no less than five…count 'em…FIVE…colleges to amass an undergrad degree in something.
3. I like ORs…they have a demanding and challenging job, and I think they're "judged" on how well they manage to get folks into the program. Yes…being "judged" is a HUGE part of Naval service. But I don't frankly think any OR is as interested in your Naval service as you should be…much the same as you don't give a crap about hers. One of my favorite Naval dictums: "Your Detailer cares as much about your career as you do about his/hers."
4. Don't know what to say about your ink, except: "What we do in life…echoes in eternity!" ~ Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor.
5. "It's been a day since she sent me the waiver application…but she has yet to confirm receipt.": Um…what can I say except sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up for a bit.

Everything in your post tells me you are NOT the kind of person we're looking for in the Naval Officer Corps. But I've been wrong before.

The system works…if it ain't good enough or fast enough for you…so sorry…we have a rich pool of eminently qualified folks without chips on their tattooed shoulders who are humbly "waiting for the system to show positive movement".

Coulanon

1 per diem, 2 per diem, 3 per diem, floor!
Time, time, time.... No matter how on the ball you are, there is always someone with a different schedule.

Seeing as you have only spoken to her once I would say you have made a lot of progress. In my experience with my OR was there was kind of a 'probationary' period where he really wasn't super proactive, then once he had he chance to see 1: My transcripts (also 5 different colleges) and 2: my ASTB/OAR scores he got more into it and was enthusiastic and wanted to help me. For my first submittal for Intel I actually received far more help and support from the processor in the office than the recruiter. Yes you have done a couple things but until she sees something that defines you as a candidate you are not someone she is going to spend hours helping get a packet together, so again: Give it time and if the quantifiable parts of the packet are what she wants to see, the other pieces will no longer be so 'difficult' to her. Study for the OAR - it is one thing you can control at this point.

Also, it would be helpful if we knew a little more about what you are looking to apply for and such.

CampB

Coupla things…they probably all fall into the "tough love" category:

1. Only a few days ago? Christ on a crutch…we've got people on this forum who have been working the issues for many, many months…who died and made you Princess Diana?
2. Not sure why you think your OR couldn't care less…unless you're carrying the usual baggage from a 28 year old tattooed female who has attended no less than five…count 'em…FIVE…colleges to amass an undergrad degree in something.
3. I like ORs…they have a demanding and challenging job, and I think they're "judged" on how well they manage to get folks into the program. Yes…being "judged" is a HUGE part of Naval service. But I don't frankly think any OR is as interested in your Naval service as you should be…much the same as you don't give a crap about hers. One of my favorite Naval dictums: "Your Detailer cares as much about your career as you do about his/hers."
4. Don't know what to say about your ink, except: "What we do in life…echoes in eternity!" ~ Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor.
5. "It's been a day since she sent me the waiver application…but she has yet to confirm receipt.": Um…what can I say except sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up for a bit.

Everything in your post tells me you are NOT the kind of person we're looking for in the Naval Officer Corps. But I've been wrong before.

The system works…if it ain't good enough or fast enough for you…so sorry…we have a rich pool of eminently qualified folks without chips on their tattooed shoulders who are humbly "waiting for the system to show positive movement".

Renegade, there's a difference between tough love and being an asshole. Nothing about my post suggests that 28-year-old tattooed females carry baggage. If that has been your experience, that is unfortunate. If you knew me, you wouldn't have made this assumption. Either way, you shouldn't judge. Perhaps you mistook my eagerness for the princess syndrome which elicited your pugnacious response. All I was asking for was some advice, which others have kindly given.

exNavyOffRec

I've started a packet only a few days ago and I have my official transcripts and LORs on their way to my OR's office. But I get the feeling she couldn't care less about helping me put together a solid packet because I'm a bit of a difficult case (being tattooed, F, 28 y.o., non-prior, GPAs from five diff colleges/universities, no military connections).

I want to look for an OR who'll work as hard as I am to give me advice, guidance, and at least a fighting chance of getting selected. I've only talked to her once on the phone during my initial inquiry about the officer program and once I sent in my basic information sheet which included info re: my tattoos (chest, shoulder to elbow half sleeve, both wrists, back of the neck), she emailed me and shut me down stating my neck tattoo was an automatic disqualifier. I had to fight and ask about a waiver and even made my first appointment for laser removal. It's been about a day since she sent me the waiver application and I scanned her a copy of my birth certificate and social security number as she requested but she has yet to confirm receipt.

I don't know if she's just really busy but I just feel I'm not getting the attention I deserve.

Any advice on how I should proceed or how I can change ORs?

Thanks for your time and input.

There are a variety of reasons the OR could be doing what she is doing.

1) you are very close to the age limit for most designators and what you need to have done it is doubtful you would make the cutoff
2) GPA, you didn't tell us what your average GPA is.
3) Tattoos, if she knows what her CO's policy is then she might know her CO won't give a waiver for what you have that "might" be waiverable.

CampB

Time, time, time.... No matter how on the ball you are, there is always someone with a different schedule.

Seeing as you have only spoken to her once I would say you have made a lot of progress. In my experience with my OR was there was kind of a 'probationary' period where he really wasn't super proactive, then once he had he chance to see 1: My transcripts (also 5 different colleges) and 2: my ASTB/OAR scores he got more into it and was enthusiastic and wanted to help me. For my first submittal for Intel I actually received far more help and support from the processor in the office than the recruiter. Yes you have done a couple things but until she sees something that defines you as a candidate you are not someone she is going to spend hours helping get a packet together, so again: Give it time and if the quantifiable parts of the packet are what she wants to see, the other pieces will no longer be so 'difficult' to her. Study for the OAR - it is one thing you can control at this point.

Also, it would be helpful if we knew a little more about what you are looking to apply for and such.

Well noted, Coulanon. Thanks a lot. I have yet to set up the date for the OAR but I've been studying. Mechanical is where it'll choke me since my background is really Bio/Chem and I'm shooting for >60 on the OAR, although I don't know how realistic that is. She had just given me a sense of urgency because she suggested I go SWO (I actually want Intel) which meant I had to be at OCS on Feb 2. After I told her about my tattoos she told me that my chances of getting in were zero - even before receiving the "quantifiable parts of the packet". But like everyone is saying, I need to be patient and do my part until she sees I'm "worth the trouble".

exNavyOffRec

ORs are not at all like normal recruiters. Realize that you must court the OR to get anywhere. It doesn't work the other way around at all.

That has backfired bad on some OR's, congressman -> CNRC -> Region -> NRD CO -> OPS -> OR, shit rolls downhill fast.

I know this from experience, however I had emails in a CYA folder that went right back up showing the person that started this didn't tell the whole story.

CampB

There are a variety of reasons the OR could be doing what she is doing.

1) you are very close to the age limit for most designators and what you need to have done it is doubtful you would make the cutoff
2) GPA, you didn't tell us what your average GPA is.
3) Tattoos, if she knows what her CO's policy is then she might know her CO won't give a waiver for what you have that "might" be waiverable.
Ah, I see. She did say the cutoff for SWO was 29 and that timing would be tricky with my bday being in May, but did say she wanted to work with me to get things rolling right away. Although, for Intel I was told I still have time. My average GPA (from the various colleges/univ), I don't know - but from the Univ I graduated with my degree: 3.2
If they see that I've started laser removal by the time I'm reviewed, would it better my chances? My first appointment to remove my neck tattoo is this Saturday.

exNavyOffRec

Ah, I see. She did say the cutoff for SWO was 29 and that timing would be tricky with my bday being in May, but did say she wanted to work with me to get things rolling right away. Although, for Intel I was told I still have time. My average GPA (from the various colleges/univ), I don't know - but from the Univ I graduated with my degree: 3.2
If they see that I've started laser removal by the time I'm reviewed, would it better my chances? My first appointment to remove my neck tattoo is this Saturday.

How they calculate the GPA is they add up all your GPA credits earned and then divide that by credits attempted, that is the GPA that they see on the front of the application, that is what they will use to qualify you as far as GPA.

They cannot send your application to board to be reviewed without you being fully qualified and waivered.

On Intel or IW or IP you do have time, more than you may be aware of as I was meeting with some friends still at the NRD and they have been told not to count on any IDC or Supply boards in the near future and to push them to SWO and/or aviation if they want to get in.

BackOrdered

Contributor
That has backfired bad on some OR's, congressman -> CNRC -> Region -> NRD CO -> OPS -> OR, shit rolls downhill fast.

I know this from experience, however I had emails in a CYA folder that went right back up showing the person that started this didn't tell the whole story.

I think we are talking about two different things. I'm referring to making sure you are meeting the OR more than half way as a prospective Officer worth investing time in and not marching into their office with a thousand problem.

I sure didn't mean literally "wine and dine" them. :confused:

Renegade One

None
Renegade, there's a difference between tough love and being an asshole. Nothing about my post suggests that 28-year-old tattooed females carry baggage. If that has been your experience, that is unfortunate. If you knew me, you wouldn't have made this assumption. Either way, you shouldn't judge. Perhaps you mistook my eagerness for the princess syndrome which elicited your pugnacious response. All I was asking for was some advice, which others have kindly given.
Fair enough…off my shaky soapbox. Glad you're getting some good, substantive device. Keep plugging away and be a little patient with the OR…probably has a big caseload to work.
Cheers.