• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaving for Boot in 2-3 months

This Recruit...

Ive enlisted in the usmc and I am leaving for boot camp (pi) in 2-3 months...my current status is:
Height:5'8-5'9
Weight:133-136
Bench: 200
Deadlift: 315
Squat(Good Form): 235
---PFT---
Pullups: 25
Situps: 120
Run: 21-22 minutes
---------
Asvab asqt: 94
---------
Heres my question: I am trying to gain weight before I go to Boot Camp, but also increase my pullups and decrease my run time as well/without stopping lifting at the gym which i love to do...(i want to be honor grad or squad leader)...can any of you give me some tips on how to combine all these things without overtraining and still gaining weight??? Ps...ive always been a good sprinter but my pace on the longer runs is no good

Thanks!
-Vince Tumminello

mo7stanley

Right no you are averaging about a 7.5 minuets per mile. You need to cut a minuet and a half off of that time per mile. If I were you, I would spend the first week or two just running one mile until you get it below 6 minuets. As soon as you get it below 6 minuets, move it up to two miles. Get that below 12 and so on. I bet that you could be running 3 miles in 18 minuets in 1 month, if not sooner, if you run 5 days a week with one day off on wednesday and one off on Sunday.

You sound like you are fairly athletic, and because of your age, I doubt that it will take you too long to increase your run time to where you want it to be. It just takes discipline.

Oh yeah, what is your main detractor of run time? is it breathing or muscles or both?

S.O.B.

pilot
Go to runnersworld.com. There are a ton of training programs. Essentialy what you are training for is a little less then a 5k. I wouldn't worry about it to much it sounds to me like you are working hard to prepair and are in excellent shape for B/C. Good job and Good luck.

This Recruit...

My main detractor is definetly breathing, whenever i push it hard i end up vomiting no matter how much water, etc i have been drinking throughout the week....def not muscles cuz at the end of the run (wehether IST or PFT, I always have that last 300 yard sprint at the end-and my legs dont ache after running except really long distances)

MaxAvidy

Newb like woah
Throwing up is generally not a good thing, but if you asked my old x-country coach he'd say it made you a man...
M7Stanely had it right, seeing that you have a pretty decent time as is, all you really need to do is work at each mile, brining it under the 6 minute mark. That's what I did, unfortunately I had surgery recently so I can barely do 1/8 to 1/4 of a mile now without feeling like passing out.
Anyway, my brother is in boot right now, graduating June 23, so good luck!

mo7stanley

What helped me with breathing is: I would just run fast paced for about the first half mile until I couldn't really run anymore, then walk for a little bit catch my breath and then try to make the rest of the way going the fast pace. It seems like I have to feal my lungs burning and then I know that my lungs are getting worked and they will perform better later. Then I try to merge that pace into the next 1/4 mile and so on. Right now, Instead of walking to catch my breath, I just am slowing my pace for a little bit then picking it up again.

I have never thrown up from running. I felt like it for about thirty seconds this morning but that is about as bad as it gets.

AV8BQAR

Mech
Don't try to gain weight right now. Whatever you put on will come right back off during basic training.Also, it is difficult to find the right weight for optimum PFT. The run and pullups generally have a negative correlation when it comes to body weight. You have a bit of room to play with, but pullups are golden for score.

If running is making you puke, you need to change something. Especially with that pace- it is not that fast. Try to find an experienced running partner and APPLY the techniques- breathing, form, pace, etc. At your age you MIGHT be able to retrain yourself before basic training, but you will likely have to remind yourself of the techniques all through training.

Is honor grad a personal goal? That is great if it is, but it will not have an impact on your career as a Marine. I have had the highest PFT score in every single unit/school that I have gone to and it doesn't mean crap. Good for you if it is personal, but don't expect much more than a pat on the back.

This Recruit...

Thanks for the tips everybody. Yes honor grad is a personal goal of mine-along with the promotion that comes with it. Im going to work on the individual miles like you all said and try and get them down to 6 min. Thanks again!
!!

AV8BQAR

Mech
Good. I am glad it is personal rather than professional. Honestly I see more meritorious NON-NCO rank revoked than time in grade. It is a maturity issue.

If you are focused on honor grad, do it. However, keep your bravado in check. Keep your eyes open as far as how your leaders operate. You may have a completely different idea on that stuff than the real thing. Follow cue, so to speak. If you are chock full of false motivation, hang it up. Your card will be pulled and it will be transparent. Trust me, we know. PM for running advice- I am a pro runner.

Postal

pilot
So far everyone has been giving advise on how to improve on the PFT (Which the question was). All great info, but the PFT is an individual event. The success to bootcamp is to learn team work. Other aspects beside team work are leadership, academics, swim qual, rifle range, inspections, etc.
I know they say never volunteer, and remain in the shadows to make your time at bootcamp easier. If you want honor grad you need to get noticed and excel in all aspects.

Wanabe Jarhead

Physical fitness is the biggest thing I can help with, not being a Marine yet and not going through the enlisted side. Sound off like you got a pair. Do EVERYTHING as fast as you possibly can with confidence. Get used to getting up early.

This Recruit...

UPDATE EVERYBODY!!!

After only a handful of endurance and speed training taking allof your advice....i just took a PFT and got my run time to......

18:59!!!!!!!

Thanks for all you help and i hope to get this down to 18 in the next month before i go.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This Recruit... said:
got my run time to......

18:59!!!!!!!
Nice job.

We had an O-5 Marine type at our ROTC unit that ran the 3 mile in a tad over 16 minutes. Of course, he was incredibly skinny too...less wind resistance.