• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LDO vs. CWO

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When I was a Chief, I would've gotten knee deep in a PO1, or PO2 for not knowing, but I'm lucky I can figure out ranks from the other services, I sure don't expect anyone outside my branch to know mine, let alone all the service-specfic slang and traditions.

People like that were jackassess when they were E-1s..khakis are just geography.

I think we're in agreement. In service, sure. But other services and the use of the slang? Come on. I'm sure Army guys would have flipped out when my chief, or worse, an airman, called me "Mr."

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Then there was the 82nd Airborne Division's "Airborne" hooah-ness whenever they saluted (which usually came out about like "Hyah-BONE"). We tried to come up with a good reply:
- Chairborne
- In flight
- Aaaa-float
- At sea
- Ihavethecontrols
- Fvck you, I'm Navy.:D

When I was in Kuwait in 2000, and army unit that was there (sorry, can't remember which one) would say "Gary Owen, sir!!" when they saluted. Often, these events with the soldiers was when they were coming out of the chow hall in sweaty PT gear, cigarette in hand, and uncovered. All of which was foreign to me as a Marine.

In any event, it sounded to me like they were saying "Carry On, Sir!!". At first I just returned their salute politely, but eventually I got around to asking what they were saying. Evidently he's a hero of their unit and that's their normal greeting. I found it actually kind of cool.

I started replying with "Chesty Puller!", "Lou Diamond!", "Pappy Boyington!", and any other heroic Marine I could think of. When in Rome, do as the Romans do, to an extent.

bobbybrock

None
When I was in Kuwait in 2000, and army unit that was there (sorry, can't remember which one) would say "Gary Owen, sir!!" when they saluted. Often, these events with the soldiers was when they were coming out of the chow hall in sweaty PT gear, cigarette in hand, and uncovered. All of which was foreign to me as a Marine.

When I was active duty Army I was in a Cav division right out of flight school. The Cav is big on traditions. The Cav sqaudrons are even bigger. From my understanding " Gary Owen " was the battle cry of Custards 7th Cav. The one of " We were sodliers once" fame. In the division we never got into most of the traditions. In the sqaudrons they would do things like spur rides and other cav traditions. One year they tried to make the 60 drivers partake. Not a whole lot of takers.
The Army warrant officer branch ( which is no longer a branch) is really two branches. The ground bubbas like to be refered to as Chief. Not so in the aviation community. Most Flight Warrants would rather go by Mr. not chief.
The ground warrants are the type of guys who would probably get into someones grill from a sister branch if they addressed them incorrectly.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
7th Cav! That was it! I couldn't remember the unit. Thanks.

I just call everybody "Dude". That works most of the time. SgtMaj's......not so much.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
We had 3 Navy and 1 Marine in my cubicle at Southcom. I put up a "No Hooah Zone" sign and we rigged up a flashing blue light and a whoop-whoop sound device with activation buttons on all our desks. We also had a shelf full of silly string labeled ""Hooah Repellent". Whenever an Army guy visiting us in our cube said Hooah, we'd hit the button to set off the alarm & lights, grab a can of repellent and spray him.

We soon got famous. BGEN Sanchez (later LTGEN Sanchez of Iraq command fame) was the Southcom S3. He came down one day just to see our system. He walked into our cube and shouted "HOOAH" at the top of his lungs. One of us immediately hit the button and we all reached for our repellent. We all turned around at the same time, saw who it was standing there and froze. He grinned and said "go ahead, I dare you". So I did (as I've said before, there are many reasons I never made CDR....). So did the other Navy guy present. Our Marine chickened out....pussy. BGEN Sanchez thought it was great and told VADM Doran (the Deputy CINC) about it. VADM Doran came down, checked it out and decided he wanted one. Since we were all getting ready to transfer (or in my case, retire) with the next few months, we gave him ours. His aide gave us a status report a few weeks later saying it was highly appreciated and used daily.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
We had 3 Navy and 1 Marine in my cubicle at Southcom. I put up a "No Hooah Zone" sign and we rigged up a flashing blue light and a whoop-whoop sound device with activation buttons on all our desks. We also had a shelf full of silly string labeled ""Hooah Repellent". Whenever an Army guy visiting us in our cube said Hooah, we'd hit the button to set off the alarm & lights, grab a can of repellent and spray him.
I'm gonna store that one away for future use...

...assuming my career has a future.:eek: