• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LDO vs. CWO

Goob83

None
Do you have a reference for that statement? I've never heard of such a thing and actually heard first hand info to the contrary.

Save Pay a beautiful thing I got it when I jumped LDO my E-8 pay was more than O-1E. very rare to happen but it did in my case but i knew of it going in and made sure to push PSD to make sure I qualified it was painful, I did have to find it in the manuals someplace and explain it to them. i bet you can google it now days

Goob83

None
google comes through

US Code: Title 37, Section 907(a) says; “An enlisted member who accepts an appointment as an officer shall, for services as an officer, be paid the greater of –
(1) the pay and allowances to which he is entitled as an officer; or
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](2) the pay and allowances to which he would be entitled if he were in the last enlisted grade he heldbefore his appointment as an officer.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Paragraph (b) of the same section says; “A warrant officer who accepts an appointment as a commissioned officer in a pay grade above W-4 shall, for service as such a commissioned officer, be paid the greater of – [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](1) the pay and allowances to which he is entitled as such a commissioned officer; [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](2) the pay and allowances to which he would be entitled if he were in the last warrant officer grade he held before his appointment as such a commissioned officer; or [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](3) in the case of an officer who was formerly an enlisted member, the pay and allowances to which he would be entitled if he were in the last enlisted gradehe held before his appointment as an officer.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The US Code goes on to explain that “in determining the amount of pay and allowances of a grade formerly held by an officer, incentive pay…special pay…seaduty…...…proficiency pay…. may be considered only so long as the officer continues to perform the duty creating the entitlement to or eligibility for that pay and would otherwise be eligible to receive that pay in his former grade[/FONT]

BourneID

pilot
Not all rates have CWO's. In some jobs the only way you can get their designator is to be an LDO. PH's had both CWO's and LDO's. They stopped making CWO's in the mid 90's. The only way to be a Photo Officer was to be an LDO. Technically I think you can apply for other rates as an LDO. But you would be competing against those already in that rate. Note: I'm positive about applying for other rates as an LDO.

For pay purposes they also get a promotion on the E pay scale. I remember my DivO (O-2) saying he just got permanently promoted to E-8.

For the Bold Part, you can apply, if for some reason you would be qualified, due to rate mergers, or disestablishment of certain rates, or you have recieved some qual not common in your current rate. As for the pay purposes, if an E-6 picks up LDO, upon the date of his commissioning, he would technically be an E-7, so if he reverted back to enlisted status, they already made chief, and so like you said, when the make O-2, they make E-8. Now if they do revert back, and weren't a Chief before, rumor has it they don't get much respect from the CPO Mess unless they go through initiaion, and they will never advance again past that paygrade due to them reverting.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
For pay purposes they also get a promotion on the E pay scale. I remember my DivO (O-2) saying he just got permanently promoted to E-8.

This is for if they revert back (like mentioned above) or if they choose to retire before doing 10 years as an LDO. If you make LT but don't do 10 years as an officer, you'll get E-9 pay for your high three...not O-3E.

bb1125

None
Thanks Goob. The person I was referring to was an E9 and went warrant, but if I'm understanding the code it doesn't apply until W-4 at which time he had already caught up with his pay. Thanks for the info.

BigRed389

None
Ok, so a CWO still uses a rate, while a LDO is an Officers. Ok. Thanks all for clearing that up. Since both are commissioned, I thought they (CWO) were more of a manager position (like an 0-1 or higher).

CWOs for SWOs at least are still "manager" types.

And they're also usually really goddamn old. Like, in the Navy before you were born old.

bobbybrock

None
And they're also usually really goddamn old. Like, in the Navy before you were born old.[/QUOTE]

I was a 20 something Army CWO2 aviator who made the mistake of calling one of these guys ( Navy CWO)chief. He was a pax on my aircraft in Bosnia and we had a talk after we landed. I thought I was being respectful because that is how we address Army ground Warrants. He read me the riot act and told he was a chief some odd years ago. All I remebr about the dude is that he was crusty.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
If you play it right, you can commit the ultimate scam when you get selected for CWO. I re-enlisted for the SEAL bonus, then got selected for CWO less than a year later, and got to keep my bonus. Of course PSD tried to make me pay it back, but the good ol' pay manual came through!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was a 20 something Army CWO2 aviator who made the mistake of calling one of these guys ( Navy CWO)chief. He was a pax on my aircraft in Bosnia and we had a talk after we landed. I thought I was being respectful because that is how we address Army ground Warrants. He read me the riot act and told he was a chief some odd years ago. All I remebr about the dude is that he was crusty.

Seriously, people need to get over themselves. How about educating a brother-in-arm about his sister service.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
And they're also usually really goddamn old. Like, in the Navy before you were born old.

I was a 20 something Army CWO2 aviator who made the mistake of calling one of these guys ( Navy CWO)chief. He was a pax on my aircraft in Bosnia and we had a talk after we landed. I thought I was being respectful because that is how we address Army ground Warrants. He read me the riot act and told he was a chief some odd years ago. All I remebr about the dude is that he was crusty.[/quote]

He still is a chief...a chief warrant officer. Most of them are pround to be prior chiefs and I wouldn't think any of them would jump down your throat for calling them that, especially not being Navy.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
If you play it right, you can commit the ultimate scam when you get selected for CWO. I re-enlisted for the SEAL bonus, then got selected for CWO less than a year later, and got to keep my bonus. Of course PSD tried to make me pay it back, but the good ol' pay manual came through!

Sounds like a good deal, I'm surprised you were able to keep it, considering they are trying to get bonuses back from guys that come home from Iraq with missing limbs....Don't even get me started on that one.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
My mother in law told me a story once how she referred to a Senior Chief as 'Chief' at a gathering, and he got indignant with her. Some people I guess...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
He still is a chief...a chief warrant officer. Most of them are pround to be prior chiefs and I wouldn't think any of them would jump down your throat for calling them that, especially not being Navy.
That's like saying a LCDR is a lieutenant, or a MGEN is a Major. It might be appropriate to address him as "Chief" in the Army, but he isn't "still a chief."