• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lawful Orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Hello All:

I am currently in talks with an enlisted recruiter and may consider enlisting (and afterwards may consider reapplying for OCS).

Have you brought these concerns up with your recruiter? If so, is he still taking your phone calls?

I can't believe I just wasted 5 minutes of my life on this thread that would have been much better spent memorizing chapter 11 NATOPS.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The lawful orders you're worrying about are retarded and unrealistic. You're coming off like a troll, whether you intended it or not.

A CO tells you to shine your boots. You say sir, my boots are only required to be blackened, not shined, and he says roger that...last time I checked, I'm the CO so shine your fucking boots. Is that order lawful? Are you going to shine your boots? A: Who gives a shit, and yes.

The ones that you should be worrying/thinking about are already taken care of. At the level you were posting your questions from, you will be a well trained cog in the machine, albeit one capable of critical thought.

Stop thinking about lawful orders and how you can sea lawyer the shit out of them and learn to follow first.

boogerbrain

Have you brought these concerns up with your recruiter? If so, is he still taking your phone calls?

I can't believe I just wasted 5 minutes of my life on this thread that would have been much better spent memorizing chapter 11 NATOPS.

Haha, I am not losing sleep over it guys.
Look, I was talking to a buddy of mine. He told me that while he was in the Air Force his NCOs would check and make sure no one was doing the five knuckle shuffle or trimming hair below the belt (he later clarified that this was only during bootcamp; he also stated to have joined Air Force Special Forces as the age of 16, so perhaps he is pulling my leg. I have no military experience, so I didn't know what to make of his story). This was something I had never heard of before, and asked my recruiter concerning this policy with the Navy. The recruiter had a good laugh, as did I, and stated that in the Navy "your body is yours".
Yes I have passed the ASVAB and DLAB (as well as the officer physical in April, don't know if I will have to do MEPS) and perhaps soon I will be under one of your commands.

boogerbrain

The lawful orders you're worrying about are retarded and unrealistic. You're coming off like a troll, whether you intended it or not.

A CO tells you to shine your boots. You say sir, my boots are only required to be blackened, not shined, and he says roger that...last time I checked, I'm the CO so shine your fucking boots. Is that order lawful? Are you going to shine your boots? A: Who gives a shit, and yes.

The ones that you should be worrying/thinking about are already taken care of. At the level you were posting your questions from, you will be a well trained cog in the machine, albeit one capable of critical thought.

Stop thinking about lawful orders and how you can sea lawyer the shit out of them and learn to follow first.

*sigh*, guess I should have kept these questions for the recruiter.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
.....I may participate in some premarital sex,
forbids me from seeing my girlfriend for the night and/or an extended period of time......
......at one time I was considering the monastic life and came to find that, at times, superiors may have misused their authority. In part, this eventually led to me not entering the novitiate.
Haha, studying canon law will do it to ya.
Wow....from celibacy to fucking out of wedlock in one thread...all while wondering about the legality......

boogerbrain: "Skipper, I think I'm going to fuck her."
CO: "Son, are either of you married or is she under age?"
boogerbrain: "No Sir!"
CO: "Is she willing?"
boogerbrain: "Yes Sir!"
CO: "Well then fuck away! Just don't forget to use a condom."
boogerbrain: "Sir, I don't think that's a legal order."
CO: "No sweat, you're both going to burn in Hell anyway...."

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Hello All: ...mostly useless questions...

Booger, you are essentially required to do whatever your NCOs and Officers tell you to do, so long as those orders do not violate standing Rules of Engagement, the UCMJ, or other legal precedents. Don't over analyze it. You'll get a class about it at some point in your career. Basically, if an NCO or officer tells you to do something you believe to be illegal, you have every right to verify the order (no use looking like an idiot over a misunderstanding), and then to report the violation to JAG, IA, MPs/SPs, Chain of Command.

boogerbrain

Booger, you are essentially required to do whatever your NCOs and Officers tell you to do, so long as those orders do not violate standing Rules of Engagement, the UCMJ, or other legal precedents. Don't over analyze it. You'll get a class about it at some point in your career. Basically, if an NCO or officer tells you to do something you believe to be illegal, you have every right to verify the order (no use looking like an idiot over a misunderstanding), and then to report the violation to JAG, IA, MPs/SPs, Chain of Command.

I was actually going to send you a personal message with these questions (since you have prior enlisted experience). However, I don't have enough posts to send a private message.
Really wasn't trying to give the military a bad name, nor NCOs or commissioned officers. Essentially what you wrote is what I was looking for (i.e. a "check and balances" type of thing). Natrually I have no problem following orders (at least, in the civilian setting) just wanted to get an idea of how far reaching "lawful orders" were. I have my answer, thanks.
HAL Pilot,
It was an extreme case. Again, just trying to understand the boundries of "lawful orders."

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
There was always "that guy" who asked the stupid questions during the Legal lectures at TBS. Congratulations Booger, you at least have the ability to know that you are that guy. Hopefully you can change that.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Maybe it's just me, but this sounds like the kind of guy who raises his hand after the instructor, on a Friday afternoon says, "Well, unless there are any questions, I guess we're getting out early."
Thats when a hand silently goes up in the back of the room....

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Maybe it's just me, but this sounds like the kind of guys who raises his hand after the instructor, on a Friday afternoon says, "Well, unless there are any questions, I guess we're getting out early."

That's the kind of guy who ends up getting his ass kicked and wonders why nobody likes him.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Maybe it's just me, but this sounds like the kind of guys who raises his hand after the instructor, on a Friday afternoon says, "Well, unless there are any questions, I guess we're getting out early."

In college my friends and I used to each pick out somebody else in the class. If your pick asked five questions or asked one extraordinary question (such as requesting additional homework...) then you had to stand up and yell, "BINGO!" But the "keeners," as we called them, usually sat at the front and us bad kids sat in the back :)

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
What officer/NCO of yours is going to have time to tell you not to brush your teeth, forbid you from having sex with someone, worry about whether or not you do martial arts, and give you a bad eval just because they don't like you?

People are busy! When they're not busy with their own work, they're addressing LEGITIMATE personnel concerns. Show up on time, get your hair cut, do what you are told, and do your job to the best of your ability. I promise if you can accomplish all that, the outlandish scenario you are proposing, and most bad things in general, will pass you by.

Status
Not open for further replies.