• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Law School or OCS?

Hammer10k

pilot
Hi all,

Thanks for reading. I'm in an interesting position..

I'm currently in law school with a semester left for graduation. I'm the Student Body President. I've been offered an OCS slot for Aviation but have to leave in a month due to age limits (getting close to 27).

Being a Naval Officer is a dream, and serving as an Aviator would be an amazing honor. However, I am not sure if it would be worth leaving my post early. I can graduate law school with some work through on-line classes. It is the backing out of my position commitment that I am most hesitant about.

Hard to answer, but any thoughts are much appreciated.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Hi all,

Thanks for reading. I'm in an interesting position..

I'm currently in law school with a semester left for graduation. I'm the Student Body President. I've been offered an OCS slot for Aviation but have to leave in a month due to age limits (getting close to 27).

Being a Naval Officer is a dream, and serving as an Aviator would be an amazing honor. However, I am not sure if it would be worth leaving my post early. I can graduate law school with some work through on-line classes. It is the backing out of my position commitment that I am most hesitant about.

Hard to answer, but any thoughts are much appreciated.

I had an office job for four years that I wasn't overly happy with. That's what drove me to look into the Navy (I had never thought about it at all prior to that point, unlike most of my bewinged peers). Shortly after my acceptance to OCS, I got an offer for an even bigger office job with bigger income numbers in all the right decimal places. And I politely told that job to kick rocks.

In this situation, I'd say do what you want to do because you want to do it, and not because you are worried about the outcome. That advice doesn't always apply everywhere in life, but let's face it: You're comparing a law career and a naval aviator career. All things considered, you don't really have any shitty options here :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Which opportunity has a shelf life? Which one will never be available again? Which one, flight school or law school, would most embrace a pink t-shirt with the word "virginity" embossed on it? Just a couple of questions to consider.

Yeah, you have one chance at achieving a dream while the other option will be there to finish whenever you want in the future. If there is a question why even apply in the first place?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
This is how rocket surgeons are made.

But seriously, there is no age limit to being a lawyer and the MGIB can defray done class costs.

Go fly.
Pickle

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Have a buddy who was a law school graduate, went to OCS as a SWO, left and came back to ODS as JAG a year later.

Unless you have a JAG program acceptance and are on the path to serving that way, go aviator at OCS. If it doesn't work out there's always an outside shot you can be a JAG later on. Attorneys in the civilian world are a dime a dozen and industry employment statistics reflect that these days.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Go back to law school after your initial commitment as a Naval Aviator. Who knows, you might actually end up making a career in the Navy? It's possible.

Also, decline your Pilot spot and the window closes for ever getting accepted into officer programs. The board will see you've declined a spot before and will question your overall commitment to the Navy.

afsf1

Go back to law school after your initial commitment as a Naval Aviator. Who knows, you might actually end up making a career in the Navy? It's possible.

Also, decline your Pilot spot and the window closes for ever getting accepted into officer programs. The board will see you've declined a spot before and will question your overall commitment to the Navy.
I sure hope this isn't the case, as I have declined a spot previously and am on the Dec. 2nd board (after another round of surgery)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I sure hope this isn't the case, as I have declined a spot previously and am on the Dec. 2nd board (after another round of surgery)

If the reason for declining was medical-related that is a completely different story and folks are much more understanding of that than declining because they decided to do something else more important to them.

afsf1

By the time my OCS date rolled around my eyes were (well) out of spec for Naval Aviation, which is stated on their paperwork. I have since then gotten another round of PRK surgery and written a statement discussing this (as well as mentioned it in my motivational statement). Due to my age this board will be my one shot so I sure do hope this is the case.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
By the time my OCS date rolled around my eyes were (well) out of spec for Naval Aviation, which is stated on their paperwork. I have since then gotten another round of PRK surgery and written a statement discussing this (as well as mentioned it in my motivational statement). Due to my age this board will be my one shot so I sure do hope this is the case.

Like I said before, that is a much a different scenario than someone who just says no thanks for no good reason. You had a good reason so I wouldn't sweat it much at all.