• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Last Tango in AW Land (Lifestyle questions from prospective SNFO)

tangoman

Marine NFO, F18 or Prowler?

If one becomes a Marine NFO is it harder to get into an F18 squadron or a Prowler squadron?

Given a choice, I would choose flying in an F18 for two reasons; 1) Attack/Intercept is more exciting to me then Electronic Jamming, 2) F18 squadrons are stationed at Miramar and Beaufort, and I would rather be living near San Diego or near Charleston, than being stationed at Cherry Point, NC.

Let me guess, what I want is what every SNFO wants and there are fewer F18 spots then prowler spots. If my own cynical assessment is wrong then great!

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
This is the most useless post I have ever read. You first ask a question (which should be directed to your instructors in the VT), then try to defend your own choice with no real valid reason.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If one becomes a Marine NFO is it harder to get into an F18 squadron or a Prowler squadron?

Given a choice, I would choose flying in an F18 for two reasons; 1) Attack/Intercept is more exciting to me then Electronic Jamming, 2) F18 squadrons are stationed at Miramar and Beaufort, and I would rather be living near San Diego or near Charleston, than being stationed at Cherry Point, NC.

Let me guess, what I want is what every SNFO wants and there are fewer F18 spots then prowler spots. If my own cynical assessment is wrong then great!

The NFO in Marine Aviation is a somewhat endangered species particularly in the F/A-18D squadrtons. Prowlers are the only the only subspecies with any type of longevity. Ragardless, you're trying to ask a variation of the "What are my chances?" and we don't do that here. When you get to selection, it might be impossible or likely. Best answer: it depends (on a lot of things). So you pays your money and you take your chances. Best gameplan: be the best you can be and be happy with whatever happens.

tangoman

This is the most useless post I have ever read. You first ask a question (which should be directed to your instructors in the VT), then try to defend your own choice with no real valid reason.

To clarify; I am a civilian considering the possibility of applying to be SNFO. People have different motivations; it's best not to insult people just because you don't agree with their motivations.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
To clarify; I am a civilian considering the possibility of applying to be SNFO. People have different motivations; it's best not to insult people just because you don't agree with their motivations.

It's not a matter of agreements, it's the fact that this answer exists and a little effort on your part could have easily found it. Besides, this level of insults is mere child's play to what you would find a fleet squadron.

tangoman

It's not a matter of agreements, it's the fact that this answer exists and a little effort on your part could have easily found it. Besides, this level of insults is mere child's play to what you would find a fleet squadron.

This is a forum; questions are meant to be asked. If you think my questions are stupid then just ignore my posts. why waste your time even posting a response?

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
This is a forum; questions are meant to be asked. If you think my questions are stupid then just ignore my posts. why waste your time even posting a response?

Because you're more concerned with location and getting chicks than you are with the military and aviation and it's pissing him off (I'm guessing). Yes, location and lifestyle are important - they are to everyone, but that's not why you join. Stay focused on what's important here....

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ragardless, you're trying to ask a variation of the "What are my chances?" and we don't do that here.
Let me translate.

Homey-the-clown_l.jpg

Homey don't play that.

tangoman

Because you're more concerned with location and getting chicks than you are with the military and aviation and it's pissing him off (I'm guessing). Yes, location and lifestyle are important - they are to everyone, but that's not why you join. Stay focused on what's important here....

My primary concern is to be a good person and live a successful, productive, and happy life. I believe in moderation and at least some balance between career and life outside work. While I was in undergrad and grad school I had no life; everything was work related and not surprisingly I was often stressed out and unhappy. I think people perform better if they learn to find a balance. From what I've read so far I think Marine NFO may be a good fit for me.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
While I was in undergrad and grad school I had no life; everything was work related and not surprisingly I was often stressed out and unhappy. I think people perform better if they learn to find a balance. From what I've read so far I think Marine NFO may be a good fit for me.

What were your undergrad/grad degrees in?

You haven't met stress yet until you're in primary and every single thing you do is analyzed. You walk in every single day and go to a brief where you're quizzed quizzed quizzed. Then you jump in the plane and get graded on everything you do. And then you go home, study, and do it again tomorrow.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None

These questions have been asked before... all of them... and some by the people that are responding. And we got smacked down for it in some cases too. See the little search button on the top menu? It works just like Google. You type something in, press search, and presto... you have some answers. I suggest you use it before you post again.

Those of us with wings... we've been through everything you're going to go through and more. If you want a touchy feely hold my hand sing kumbaya where people won't insult you job, Naval Aviation isn't the place. We aren't those types of people. You will get made fun of. Your moments of pure idiocy will get pointed out. Your stupidity will be publicly ridiculed. You will be smacked down for over stepping your bounds. That's just the way it is. (On a more positive note, it will be funny, you will laugh at it and you will have alot of fun)

What it comes down to is a little initiative. You show it, we help you more.

Another piece of advice for you... don't be a smart ass. You're new. Read, Search, Learn.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

This is a forum indeed and you have 7 posts on it under your belt. A serving Naval Flight Officer with almost 800 posts was trying to clue you into the way things work here and he was right. I'm here as a Moderator telling you to listen up to a few rules of road here that you're already violating:

1. We will ALWAYS advise "newbies" such as you to search for two reasons (a. you should show initiative in your quest to fly with wings of gold on your chest and b. this topic has likely been covered before and Mod Team does not encourage new threads for every idle question that pops in your head (take that to the chat room). The veteran posters on the forum like Alabama Matt know that and frequently try to clue newbie in before the Mods arrive).

2. You may have started a thread, but it not your property or blog or chatroom. The Mod Team decides if it is worthy of remaining or merged. moved, split or edited to serve as part of the AW Forum. If anyone needs corrective action, the Mods will be along momentarily. EVERY post on this forum is scrutinized by a Mod Team that is active 24/7. You don't decide what's 'meant to be asked" or admonish posters for their actions. That's the duty of the Moderators.

3. If there are wings above someone's Avatar, you better think once or twice before copping an attitude. They've "been there, done that" and you haven't. Naval Aviation is like a huge Rock Tumbler and the more experienced folks are the larger, harder rocks that help the more junior, rough-edged rocks like you lose those rough edges and start to take on a shine. (You get a pass this time around for being so new, but cop an attitude here and you won't be standing by for long). IAW, be respectful and listen and people wil be glad to help.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
My primary concern is to be a good person and live a successful, productive, and happy life. I believe in moderation and at least some balance between career and life outside work. While I was in undergrad and grad school I had no life; everything was work related and not surprisingly I was often stressed out and unhappy. I think people perform better if they learn to find a balance. From what I've read so far I think Marine NFO may be a good fit for me.

Brother, if you were stressed out and unhappy in college, flight school and Naval Aviation might be pretty eye opening for you. College was a joke compared to flight school. The fleet makes flight school look easy. I assure you it doesn't get any easier, but it does get more rewarding.

When not on det, you have a "normal life" at home outside of work hours.