• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

last minute questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

version2point0

ok heres my list of last minute questions. i have 6 weeks before OCS and this is the stuff that keeps rattling around my head. it may not be important in the long run, but id like to know nonetheless :) answer what you can, just put the number next to your answer. you dont have to type anything else if you dont want to.

1 what clothing do you sleep in?
2 nail clippers vs nail scissors. which are better?
3 what type of running shoes? cross trainers or runners?
4 do you really have time for an evening shower?
5 i heard about being assigned a bookbag. what is in it?
6 do i have to bring a notebook for class?
7 i heard we are issued a weapon at the same time as our bookbag. true?
8 what is "outpost"?
9 someone said that BDCP doesnt roll anymore for failing in-PRT, they got straight to boot camp as an enlistee E-2. (non BDCPers get dropped) anyone else hear/see this?
10 i heard the NAMI physical is NOTHING compared to the MEPS physical. i thought it was the other way around. comments?
11 wear a watch but dont wear it when you sign in or they will take it away?
12 will they take away my maglite too?
13 numerous sources say they average your PRT scores, but a fail on one is a fail overall, right?
14 how many people are in one room?
15 can you ask to pee during class?
16 do we get lunch or is it just breakfast and dinner?
17 just to reiterate question #9, no more rolling in OCS, its either pass or fail now?
18 what do you wear on a daily basis until you get your class uniforms?
19 perhaps i should ask how quickly you get your class uiforms
20 where do you get the silver dollar for your DI when you graduate?

thats all i can think of right now, ill post more when they come to me. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

-v2.0

av8tor

1. Sweats it's cold. 2. 3. Cross trainers, it's shows dedication to have shin splints. 4. Sure, 40 guys and five shower heads in 10 minutes (rinse off and get out for the next guy) 5. paper with a staple through it. 6. yeah, your are your notebook, just write in your book or steal an candeo's gouge) 7. M-1 with cement in it, used for holding outstretched and perpendicular to the body. 8. Are you a Marine? 9. False, double False, their recruiter rolls. 10. No difference, please refer to NAMI as the Whammy. 11. How else will you know when it's time to go to bed. 12. Not if it's in your sock, for years candeo's have been unable to figure out it's in your sock. 13. Don't fail. 14. besides your self, 3 initially and one rust trash can. 15. Just do pushups now for asking. 16. 3 hots and a cot, just like grandma's house 17. False again. 18. poopies with sweat and sand, alot of sand. 19. 2 weeks, working Kakies. 20. It's a secret, but for all the geek coin collector out there - they hold the secret. OCS is fun, funny.

version2point0

first of all, BUMP :)

ok new questions mixed in with old questions:

1 nail clippers or nail scissors. will they be confiscated?
2 if im only given paper with a staple through it, what do i write with?
3 m-1 with cement huh? that sounds cool. what do we do with it when we arent using it? is it secured in the locker?
4 i didnt know outpost was a marine thing. what is it anyway?
5 an answer from someone else about failing the in-PRT and getting tossed instead of rolling would be nice. (just to make sure)
6 why is NAMI called the Whammy?
7 i heard on this board recently that a watch will be confiscated. ill know when to sleep when they tell me to. is this true?
8 what are poopies? underwear?
9 where does the sand come from? i thought we ran on concreet and did excercises on ratty grass.
10 must we sit at perfect attention in class? or can we stretch or scratch our legs or whatever? i dont mean lean or sit unprofessionally, im just saying we are going to be sore.

thats all i have for now. PLEASE ANSWER :)

-v2.0

GatorNFO

SNFO in Primary
8. poopies are green overalls. Otherwise known as the "poopie suit". This suit also goes with the "chrome dome".

navyswo

#1 It doesnt really matter which one as long as you keep it in your small shaving kit bag
#2 they supply you with pencils
#3 Outpost occurs on the Friday at the end of your first week, Its considered one of the most challenging days of the whole OCS process, It is basically where you are outside all day long working out and being introduced to everything on base.
#4 if you fail the in PRT- you will be rolled to the H company and will fall in with the next class that comes to OCS
9. the sand comes from two sand pits the DI's like to throw new indoc candidates into and make them do all kinds of exercices while there

version2point0

wait... one more thing: if there are anywhere from 6 to 8 schools going through OCS at the same time... how many DIs are there? i thought thats how the people all seemed to know the DIs, because they were the same for every class, but thats not it right? do the DIs cross classes? are all the DIs watching all of the classes at the same time or are there just the class DIs and thats it? you get three and no one else can tell you what to do or whatever...

-v2.0

demax182

CEC Officer from Class 15-03

Did your recruiter give you that book that gives you basically a very brief overview of OCS? That book tells you what to bring and not to bring and the gouge you will need to know. It even gives you exercises and stretches to do before going to OCS. That book is all I went buy before going to OCS. I didn't really start using this forum until after I started OCS.

There were about 9-10 DI's walking around when I went through OCS. Some may be gone now however, I knew of some retiring and a couple being promoted.

That being said, there will also be about 9-10 Class Chiefs, Class Senior Chiefs, and Master Chiefs walking around.

That being said, you better be locked on when you get there, you're always being watched.

version2point0

yeah i got the book, but my mind goes wild with other questions... probably because of the philosophy degree i have :) thanks for the answers everyone. if anyone else has more to add, let me know! heres the questions i dont think were answered:

where do you get the silver dollar for your DI when you graduate?

what do we do with the M-1 when we arent using it? is it secured in the locker?

why is NAMI called the Whammy?

must we sit at perfect attention in class? or can we stretch or scratch our legs or whatever? i dont mean lean or sit unprofessionally, im just saying we are going to be sore.

thanks a lot again!

-v2.0

signud

Final Select SNA
V20- I can answer a couple of your questions, but I don't know them all. This is just what I know from reading and general knowledge:

Silver Dollar: You can buy these at just about any coin dealer shop, pawn shop, some sort of collectible shop, etc. Use your liberty when you get it to go shopping for it, shouldn't be too hard to find. Just look under the yellow pages.

NAMI is called Whammy because you can lose your pilot spot if you don't pass all of the medical checks. Remember the game show? "no whammies, no whammies..."

As for the others... don't know, just read around and you can probably find the anwers. And I have a feeling you'll find the rest out when you get there anyway. I wouldn't stress it too much.

submariner8

2.0-

You will soon see that no matter how much gouge you get before going to OCS, you will never know everything you need until you get there. Most of the gouge I got turned out to be wrong, so take everything with a grain of salt.
The main reason for this is because every class has a different class team, and what is and is not allowed depends in large part to what the class team allows, along with what is in the Officer Candidate Regulations (OCR), which you will have access to in due time.
That said, here are some answers based on my experience (with my class team!) at OCS:
1. sweats, comfortable and warm
2. you get issued both
3. running shoes, though I still ended up with shin splints and a stress fracture
4. maybe, but not likely in the first week
5. nothing initially, later canteen and class material
6. notebook issued to you
7. not at the same time, you can't carry a rifle and a bookbag at the same time
8. you will find out when you get there...
9. anyone can roll for failing the in prt
10. more or less the same
11. bring a watch
12. if they find it, could be taken
13. they do average the scores, but you don't want to fail any portion, trust me
14. initially everyone, then 4
15. you won't ask, you will be begging to go
16. all 3
17. wrong: roll, roll, roll
18. poopy greens
19. a week, doesn't mean you will wear them right away
20. coin shop, and you will probably want 2 (DI and class CPO)

jaerose

Why are you worried about a coin when you aren't even there yet...get there and get to graduation, then worry about a coin. No matter what you ask you won't be prepared. It's designed that way. Learn your big 4 and make sure you are physically fit...if you've done that then quit stressing about it and relax before you get there, you'll need it.

JR

MikeGuy

1 what clothing do you sleep in?
I sleep in sweats; it gets chilly at night.

2 nail clippers vs nail scissors. which are better?
Bright neither; you will be issued with both when you arrive.

3 what type of running shoes? cross trainers or runners?
You will be tested for proper running shoes and will be issued with a pair when you arrive.

4 do you really have time for an evening shower?
That would be telling.

5 i heard about being assigned a bookbag. what is in it?
A bookbag is OCS talk for a briefcase. You put your class supplies (textbook, highlighter, etc.) in it.

6 do i have to bring a notebook for class?
You don't "have" to, but it's a handy thing to have.

7 i heard we are issued a weapon at the same time as our bookbag. true?
You will be issued with a weapon, but when depends on your class team.

8 what is "outpost"?
That would be telling (hint: it's a whole lotta fun!)

9 someone said that BDCP doesnt roll anymore for failing in-PRT, they got straight to boot camp as an enlistee E-2. (non BDCPers get dropped) anyone else hear/see this?
That's bs. If you fail in in-PRT, no matter what your designator is, you go straight to H company.

10 i heard the NAMI physical is NOTHING compared to the MEPS physical. i thought it was the other way around. comments?
Couldn't comment on this one.

11 wear a watch but dont wear it when you sign in or they will take it away?
In general, you are not allowed to wear a watch until the Candidate Officer phase, although there are some exceptions to this rule. Go ahead and bring a watch. They will keep it with the rest of your personal gear until you need it.

12 will they take away my maglite too?
Read the official OCS website. Flashlights are contraband ;)

13 numerous sources say they average your PRT scores, but a fail on one is a fail overall, right?
False.

14 how many people are in one room?
It's about fifty to a squad bay.

15 can you ask to pee during class?
There are frequent head and water calls.

16 do we get lunch or is it just breakfast and dinner?
In that classic navy phrase, OCS provides you with three square meals a day.

17 just to reiterate question #9, no more rolling in OCS, its either pass or fail now?
People roll all the time at OCS. You have to really work hard to be attrited from the program.

18 what do you wear on a daily basis until you get your class uniforms?
Poopy suits.

19 perhaps i should ask how quickly you get your class uiforms
That would be telling.

20 where do you get the silver dollar for your DI when you graduate?
Worry about that when it's time to graduate. For the first 12 weeks, you'll have *much* bigger problems.

anselmosna

Take a flashlight. If they say you can't have one, keep it hidden and use it discretely. Flashlights are an extremely valuable tool in OCS.

version2point0

yeah thank you everyone. i know and i said in my first post that these things may not be that important in the grand scheme, but i just wanted to know anyway. thank you to everyone who replied!

-v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.