• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Last Class

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
class 17-01 here. Anytime I think of Newport....I picture the SWOish side of the Navy. I miss drilling on the grinder with Gunny Burns watchin the Blues do their thing. And who can forget going down to Seville in whites for the first time. I never liked the fact that schools command replaced the VA-35 A-6 with the whorenutt out front though.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
WOW I still think 25 is alot, we started with 39 and graduated 31...and this was with arguably one of meanest DI's there (yes yes I know everyones was mean...lol) aprox 2 years ago....he was a staff sgt and made gunny while we were there...same guy that got in trouble for beating one of his classes in choker whites...not a whole lot of fun!!

Yeah, I didn't like him much either. But some of his classes did have a high attrition rate.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
in our class (second to last) we had 48 start and 28 commission. 18 were original to the class. This kind of attrition was normal for most of the classes while I was there. The RI move was consolidation of all officer training schools (DCO/CWO school, OIS, OCS, chaplain school etc), so once again- it was $$. For those who rolled out of the last class due to illness (rabdo, heat cases) many were given the opportunity to go up to RI. For those who had ongoing medical problems and were not likely to class up soon, they were given the boot (ie: one guy with a shoulder problem). For the sh!t bags who were languishing away in H not doing anything to prove they wanted to class up, they were given the boot. Almost everyone who wanted to continue with training got the opportunity.
So basically, you only fail out if you either have unforeseen medical issues, or you are a complete jackass and don't deserve to get a commission anyway?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
16-98 Here, we had about a 50% attrition too. If I remember right, once you began rolling classes, the chance that you would commission went down dramatically. No matter what the reason for the roll...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
16-98 Here, we had about a 50% attrition too. If I remember right, once you began rolling classes, the chance that you would commission went down dramatically. No matter what the reason for the roll...

Exactly. If people want to read complete fabrications into whatever I said, so be it. But The point is, people roll because of medical issues...the vast majority of which are CAUSED by the PTing and beatings (ie- rabdo, heat exhaustion, injured joints, shin splints/stress fractures etc etc). If you go to H, the odds of making it through dramatically reduce. Those who push through and show the determination to commission do make it. We had a girl in our class commission after almost 8 months at OCS. Stress fractures. If you're a pvssy and go to medical for every itch and pain, you won't make it. If you have what it takes, show determination and drive and press on, you should be fine. Yes there are guidelines that limit PT like the "flag condition". I can't tell you how many times we drilled and PTed in red and black flag. Don't be THAT guy that brings that to the attention of the staff...

Those who went to AOCS think OCS is pvssified. Those who went to OCS 5 years ago think OCS now is pvssified. Everyone wants to think he had it harder than the enxt guy. Everyone needs to stop this dick-size contest. OCS sucks. Period.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The only reason I ask is because I want to be as prepared as possible, so I was curious if the guys who attrited were just lazy slobs, never memorized the stuff they were supposed to going in, dropped out voluntarily, or had bad attitudes; or if it's really just that rigorous. I was under the impression that attrition was significantly lower than 50%.

Stupid question: Am I correct to assume that 'beatings' doesn't refer to being punched and kicked to a pulp by the DI?

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
The RI move was consolidation of all officer training schools (DCO/CWO school, OIS, OCS, chaplain school etc), so once again- it was $$. .

I'm interested to know what Navy wisdom prevails here. For the RI move, they had to build more quarters and structures at the Newport base to house all the added personnel and schooling... and I hear they have no idea what to do w/ the empty Pcola buildings now. Also, they'll need to transport all pilot/nfo selectees all the way back down to Pcola for API after grad (whereas before they were already there to begin with). Understandably, all other community selects will still have to be moved, at least in Pcola the aviators were already where they needed to be. Seems like just one extra cost after another... Might have made more sense to move NSI and OIS down to FL....

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
What? The Navy is doing something that doesn't make sense? I doubt that....

Lyse01

I'm interested to know what Navy wisdom prevails here. For the RI move, they had to build more quarters and structures at the Newport base to house all the added personnel and schooling... and I hear they have no idea what to do w/ the empty Pcola buildings now. Also, they'll need to transport all pilot/nfo selectees all the way back down to Pcola for API after grad (whereas before they were already there to begin with). Understandably, all other community selects will still have to be moved, at least in Pcola the aviators were already where they needed to be. Seems like just one extra cost after another... Might have made more sense to move NSI and OIS down to FL....

But if they moved schools to Florida, Newport wouldn't have much to offer as a naval base and the Secretary of Defense would've gone after it looking to shut it down during BRAC 2005. It's a pretty base (in my opinion - but then, I'm from New England. I think nearly anything on the New England seashore is pretty.) and there's a lot of history there. I think most agreed it would be a shame to close it down, so the Navy needed to justify its expense and existence, as they did with every base. Their solution was to make it a training center.

p.6 in this PDF deals specifically with Officer Training Command, Pensacola, FL:
http://www.brac.gov/docs/final/Chap1NavyFindingsandRecommendations.pdf
The Secretary of Defense justification is, as is typical in this report, rather weak. The commission found that, while not a cost-effective move, it supported the Navy's training-center initiative. It stayed on the list.