• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Last Class

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
The drill instructor for the school's final class is Gunnery Sgt. Jason Jones, a veteran of two combat tours in Iraq. His gravely voice comes from years of yelling commands

I THINK HE WAS MY PLT SGT AT OCS!!
I never knew his first name but how many GySgt Jones' are there that are Sergeant Instructors in the Marine Corps

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I don't disagree that OCS is easier now than it has been or AOCS was. Sure we had people get beat for all sorts of reasons, and people leaving rifles unlocked. Those guys got to go to their DI ask about the rifle, get RPTed and sent to DI schmukatelli who had it only to get RPTed by the other DI and sent to at least 3 more DIs for personal beat sessions.

I agree with the above that it did seem a bit easier to get through (in retrospect, although I received a lot of attention and thought I might attrite at the time) than I expected.

Bottom line is, I don't see how I'm a terrible ensign when compared with ensigns from AOCS because I didn't get beat "as much". Sounding off and bear crawling more doesn't make you a better ensign. It serves a purpose in training, but think about what the Navy is there to do at OCS. Just like people say OTS for the AF is ghey. Well the AF doesn't need to be intense like Marine OCS, because that isn't necessary for what they will be doing as 2LTs. There is a mission at OCS and I feel that it is being fulfilled with the current curriculum.

@Jdawg: There are more than 1 GySgt Jones. I know specifically of a black guy and the one currently there (white guy) so don't count on it. Especially if he's at OCS, I doubt he's a Marine Corps instructor.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Bottom line is, I don't see how I'm a terrible ensign when compared with ensigns from AOCS because I didn't get beat "as much".

No one is saying you are. AOCS was 16 weeks of my twenty year career. I just believe that the initial 16 weeks under (in my case) GYSGT Bowling was a much more abrupt indoc than the OCS burden faced now, particularly with the additional burden of academics and av phys to bear. From an overall health standpoint I came out of AOCS worse than I went in.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Bottom line is, I don't see how I'm a terrible ensign when compared with ensigns from AOCS because I didn't get beat "as much".

You might not be a terrible ensign but you sure as hell were a terrible officer candidate... And you probably would have been beat as much but you were standing at the front of the class with the CDI while everybody else was paying for your mistakes... ah fun times...

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Just like people say OTS for the AF is ghey.

AF 2LT in my API class exact quotes "Man, if you didn't have a laptop at OTS, I don't know how you'd make it through." and while laughing at the current OCSers getting thrashed, "Wow, we never had to do anything like that"

As far as AOCS goes, they had higher numbers coming in, if you look at the yearbooks they had classes everyweek with a lot more people than current classes. Therefore they had a lot more leeway in attriting people and beating the crap out of them. Today its all about the money and its in Navy's best interest to get officers in and out of OCS as quick as possible. They don't have the money to spend attriting people, especially when you think of all the BDCP and Nupoc kids, in addition to all the money they already spent on getting you there. Our class LTs even said that it seemed easier than when they went through. For example, if they fell out of formation during a run, they got rolled, not anymore. There's no doubt we still got thrashed, but I don't think the consequences were as harsh if you weren't keeping pace. The DIs though say that if they can't do one thing anymore, they'll think of something else to make sure you get yours.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I never said that AOCS era were "better Ensigns" than the current ones commissioned through today's OCS.

Whether or not you are a terrible Ensign waits to be seen. That is something your current superiors and instructors will have to determine.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The last class was the only class to graduate in the chapel. Our class (second to last) was still on the parade field and we conducted a normal, albeit abridged (no rifles, only 3 platoons, 2 of which were the last class) pass in review. The last class having no junior classes and having such large media attention was given this special ceremony in the national museum of Naval Aviation. I was there and it was a really nice ceremony. MANY flag and O-5/O-6's were present. It was a combination of the commissioning ceremony and decommissioning ceremony where the CNP spoke.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
I took leave from -129 to swear-in my sister-in-law (what's up, red!) and I have to say that the whole experience was great. The ceremony in the Museum was top notch and it was a very appropriate venue for the de-com.
Glad to have been a part of it.

red1323

The last class was the only class to graduate in the chapel. Our class (second to last) was still on the parade field and we conducted a normal, albeit abridged (no rifles, only 3 platoons, 2 of which were the last class) pass in review. The last class having no junior classes and having such large media attention was given this special ceremony in the national museum of Naval Aviation. I was there and it was a really nice ceremony. MANY flag and O-5/O-6's were present. It was a combination of the commissioning ceremony and decommissioning ceremony where the CNP spoke.

A few errors: the last class was the only class NOT to graduate in the chapel and it was the deactivation of OTCP, not the decommissioning. I understand now why all the aviators hate it when you talk about stuff you know little about.

I don’t get why you are the first one to comment about the last class. It would be different if you had actually come down the hall and tried to get to know us (the people who actually were in the last class), but I never saw that happen. Most of your class was really cool and I look forward to serving with them. You were probably only good at inspection arms (class joke for those who don’t get it).

Anyway, all the media attention our class got was cool in some ways, annoying in others. Our class team did a great job of keeping our focus off the media and on whatever task was at hand. The ceremony in the museum was very nice but the best parts were the private commissioning (thanks fmr!) and the first salutes.

The most awesome part of the constant media coverage is catching the little screw ups. For example, if anyone noticed in the article above apparently we now have female nuclear submarine officers. For the most part they were really polite to us and on point, but it’s the details like that that crack me up.