• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lady SNA's/SNFO's

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Go helos or P-3s....the Navy has plenty of aviators to fly ejection seat aircraft but far too few spinners.......:eek: :D

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the minimum wasn't good enough..

When I was going thru NPA, I was at the min's an aviator could be (weight, ht, functional reach, etc) and still be on flight status. That was after playing 4 + years of rugby. The paragliding exercise was interesting, needless to say.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
Don't forget there's a min weight for ejection seat a/c. I think it's 135 #, but waiverable to a certain extent. (Not sure if it's the seat or parachute specifications.) I'm so far below that, they didn't even offer me a waiver, so no ejection seats for me.

Rugger

The medical director I worked as an EMT for in Jersey helped design the ejection seat in the F/A-18s, and, although he did not tell me the minimum weight, told me that my 120 lbs was enough. I hope that helps.

Red

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The medical director I worked as an EMT for in Jersey helped design the ejection seat in the F/A-18s, and, although he did not tell me the minimum weight, told me that my 120 lbs was enough. I hope that helps.

Red

Well, that's novel, but engineers usually don't set policy, so his opinion is pretty much worthless. I thought you had other anthro issues anyway. Did you get those resolved?

Brett

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
The T-2 has the heaviest minimum weight. Not a factor for SNA anymore. I think some SNFOs still fly it? The waiver was never really a question, they just called us small ladies in one day before API and said "here sign this." (2002) I have not heard of anyone not getting a waiver.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The T-2 has the heaviest minimum weight. Not a factor for SNA anymore. I think some SNFOs still fly it? The waiver was never really a question, they just called us small ladies in one day before API and said "here sign this." (2002) I have not heard of anyone not getting a waiver.

It's really more of an acknowledgement of liability than a waiver.

Brett

HalfBreed

None
If I remember, I think the T-6 seat has the widest range for weight than any other ejection seat. I think min is 104 lbs. All other ejection seats require at least 135 lbs. or something like that. When I last talked to the flight physiologist about this, he said that some F/A-18s have the same seat as the T-6 and more will get them. Brett is correct about the form they make you sign. It's a liability thing informing you that you have an increased risk blah, blah, blah. From what he said, it sounded like the only "waiver" you get is the individual decision of the squardron CO and/or flight surgeon to let you fly. Amusingly enough, I was stashed in the anthro office and never signed the form even though I should have. :p

Also, don't think they count equipment weight towards your overall weight. NOMI will weigh you in PT gear and that is the weight that will pretty much determine pipeline eligibility.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking as a small guy who was below that limit before my metabolism crashed, I have never heard of anyone being denied a waiver for being too light. Maybe a very tiny chick, but most people do not seem to have a problem. You get a form to sign which goes in either your NATOPS or training jackets which essentially says "I understand I am at increased risk for injury if I eject." Also, some seats have higher weight limits than that. Specifically, the Prowler seat is a 140lb minimum. But I've seen some female aircrew in Prowler land who look smaller than that (obviously never confirmed the fact, though:D). Generally small is good because you get more oomph out of the seat rocket. Big guys on the other end will have issues clearing the tail. However small people are at a bigger risk for back injuries. F=m x a and the rocket has a given F. Thus, the smaller your m the more you get a'ed.

I know of one gal, she went all the way through VT-86 and got to the RAG before they DQ'd her from Prowlers, and all other tactical jets. She was like 4'11'' and 90 pounds though. She went EP-3's instead, I wish she had been DQ'd altogether.........:( Her husband was DORK from 134, he was whipped.....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know of one gal, she went all the way through VT-86 and got to the RAG before they DQ'd her from Prowlers, and all other tactical jets. She was like 4'11'' and 90 pounds though. She went EP-3's instead, I wish she had been DQ'd altogether.........:( Her husband was DORK from 134, he was whipped.....

Ahh, pocket FO - I know her well. Ended up on Hainan Island with People's sexiest man alive, if memory serves. Went through the RAG w/ her husband and concur on his status as douche-bag. :eek:

Brett

robav8r

None
Contributor
Ahh, pocket FO - I know her well. Ended up on Hainan Island with People's sexiest man alive, if memory serves. Went through the RAG w/ her husband and concur on his status as douche-bag. :eek:

Brett
I worked with her in Whidbey on the staff here for the last 8 months. She is on her way to the USS Enterprise to be a TAO.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Brett

One and the same. People's sexiest pilot is now Nebraska's State Treasurer, a career in politics suits him.......

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

Brett

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... yes. And I love Flash's retro history. And I love Flash.

The Officers driving the EP-3 into Hainan Island .... while I don't want to resurrect a "bad thread" from AW's archives ....:)

THEY WERE "COLLECTIVELY" THE BIGGEST BUNCH OF LOSERS TO COME ALONG IN A LONG, LONG TIME FOR AND FROM NAS WHIDBEY.

Believe it ... and I'm not gonna resurrect old arguments ... BUT: I long for the Bomber Days @ NUW .... *sigh*

But to the original thread title .... want to eliminate the problems???

GET/KEEP the WOMEN OUT OF THE MEN'S/AND/OR COMBAT UNITS!!!!!

Is anyone listening .... ????