• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lady SNA's/SNFO's

HalfBreed

None
I'm 5'2 and trying to close the T-6 canopy was always amusing. I always just made a show of struggling to reach for the canopy and the instructor took care of the rest while laughing at me. I also had to move the rudder pedals all the way forward (this was step took the longest of any other on the checklist). As long as the harness wasn't locked I could reach everything. Being 2 inches taller than me, I'm sure you'll be fine. My boyfriend is only 5'3 and has had no problems with the T-34. Just know that you may or may not be excluded from certain pipelines because of size. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to open the ditching hatch in the back of an E-2C . . .

Oh, and don't let Bubba fool you, he's about six feet tall.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
limits - mins count too

Don't forget there's a min weight for ejection seat a/c. I think it's 135 #, but waiverable to a certain extent. (Not sure if it's the seat or parachute specifications.) I'm so far below that, they didn't even offer me a waiver, so no ejection seats for me. You'll likely be in the same category. You can get past that for occasional good-deal rides (as I did), but I'm pretty sure it's more stringent for platform assignments.

Rugger

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't forget there's a min weight for ejection seat a/c. I think it's 135 #, but waiverable to a certain extent. (Not sure if it's the seat or parachute specifications.) I'm so far below that, they didn't even offer me a waiver, so no ejection seats for me. You'll likely be in the same category. You can get past that for occasional good-deal rides (as I did), but I'm pretty sure it's more stringent for platform assignments.

Rugger
Speaking as a small guy who was below that limit before my metabolism crashed, I have never heard of anyone being denied a waiver for being too light. Maybe a very tiny chick, but most people do not seem to have a problem. You get a form to sign which goes in either your NATOPS or training jackets which essentially says "I understand I am at increased risk for injury if I eject." Also, some seats have higher weight limits than that. Specifically, the Prowler seat is a 140lb minimum. But I've seen some female aircrew in Prowler land who look smaller than that (obviously never confirmed the fact, though:D). Generally small is good because you get more oomph out of the seat rocket. Big guys on the other end will have issues clearing the tail. However small people are at a bigger risk for back injuries. F=m x a and the rocket has a given F. Thus, the smaller your m the more you get a'ed.

thull

.. However small people are at a bigger risk for back injuries. F=m x a and the rocket has a given F. Thus, the smaller your m the more you get a'ed.

unless you boost your m by duct taping a small rock to your seat somewhere. or filling your pockets with led. c'mon, am I the only one thinking here?:watching3

Cortney

I never even thought about a minimum weight for the ejection seat...hmm. I know if necessary I can pack on weight (~10-15#) faster w/ working out than I can w/ eating. It's not something I really want to do - but it's a small price to pay to have a better shot at what I want. I guess I'll just wait & worry about that when I have to.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I never even thought about a minimum weight for the ejection seat...hmm. I know if necessary I can pack on weight (~10-15#) faster w/ working out than I can w/ eating. It's not something I really want to do - but it's a small price to pay to have a better shot at what I want. I guess I'll just wait & worry about that when I have to.

For best results, I recommend a diet of raw flour and sticks of butter. :D

Brett

Pags

N/A
pilot
For best results, I recommend a diet of raw flour and sticks of butter. :D

Brett

or just combine the two and deep fry batter covered sticks of butter. yum.

or wait until i unleash my horrible invention on america: the deep fried breakfast sandwich. it's an ordinary egg mcmuffin, battered, and deep fried for extra good ness. there's a fat gap coming and america needs to stay ahead.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
or just combine the two and deep fry batter covered sticks of butter. yum.

or wait until i unleash my horrible invention on america: the deep fried breakfast sandwich. it's an ordinary egg mcmuffin, battered, and deep fried for extra good ness. there's a fat gap coming and america needs to stay ahead.
Or you could go to Meridian and sample that pinnacle of Southern cuisine . . . fried Twinkies.

Cortney

Ok...I did say I gain weight EASIER with weight lifting...I've semi-tried the eating method and it just does not work for me yet (high metabolism or whatever). The minimum weight probably varies some based on the model ejection seat used. I did some basic research though...according to the Martin Baker website for the new T-6A's "Minimum installed weight is a fundamental requirement of the light trainer class of aircraft. The MKUS.16L ejection seat has a weight target of 125lbs (56Kg), which includes all pyrotechnics, emergency oxygen equipment, and aircraft mounted seat interface rails."

http://www.martin-baker.com/eject_jpats.htm

I'm sure with all the gear, it'll be a lot easier to make the weight.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok...I did say I gain weight EASIER with weight lifting...I've semi-tried the eating method and it just does not work for me yet (high metabolism or whatever). The minimum weight probably varies some based on the model ejection seat used. I did some basic research though...according to the Martin Baker website for the new T-6A's "Minimum installed weight is a fundamental requirement of the light trainer class of aircraft. The MKUS.16L ejection seat has a weight target of 125lbs (56Kg), which includes all pyrotechnics, emergency oxygen equipment, and aircraft mounted seat interface rails."

http://www.martin-baker.com/eject_jpats.htm

That's talking about the weight of the actual seat, not the rider. Regardless, the weight limitations are for nude body weight, so the gear you wear is already factored in. I wouldn't worry about it too much. From what I've seen, most Navy chicks don't seem to be having trouble gaining plenty of weight. ;)

Brett

phrogpilot73

OR, you could just do the following:

Breakfast: Bagel w/cream cheese, cup of coffee w/cigarette
Lunch: Double Whopper w/cheese KING sized...
Dinner: Large Dominos Extra Cheese & Pepperoni Pizza w/Buffalo Chicken Kickers

Repeat above menu until desired results are achieved - it worked for me before deployment (I balloned up to "fat ass")

Of course, getting the weight back off isn't fun...

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok fine...take all my fun away :-P

Off to find some fried foods...
Seriously, unless you get the Prowler, it shouldn't be an issue. IIRC the T-6 and T-45 seats are modded to allow for a bigger weight range, with a min of 100 pounds or so.