• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lady SNA's/SNFO's

Cortney

I'm interested in flying for the Navy - and at the moment, I am attending flight school vicariously through my best friend (and ex bf). He's in primary (hopefully) headed to be a NFO. God help us all - he's the WORST with directions. Anyways, the point of this thread...

Like I said, I want to fly. Front seat, back seat - doesn't really matter as long as my feet are off the ground. :) I am very petite, but I know I am technically big enough (read: tall enough w/ long enough arms) to make it into flight school. My question is, are there any ladies out there who can tell me about their experiences w/ flying and school overall? My friend told me HE has trouble closing the canopy...so he doesn't think I would be able to do it. While I am tiny, I pack a surprisingly large punch...and he's no giant. Any thoughts? Or is he just a certified wimp? :p

Thanks in advance!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm interested in flying for the Navy - and at the moment, I am attending flight school vicariously through my best friend (and ex bf). He's in primary (hopefully) headed to be a NFO. God help us all - he's the WORST with directions. Anyways, the point of this thread...

Like I said, I want to fly. Front seat, back seat - doesn't really matter as long as my feet are off the ground. :) I am very petite, but I know I am technically big enough (read: tall enough w/ long enough arms) to make it into flight school. My question is, are there any ladies out there who can tell me about their experiences w/ flying and school overall? My friend told me HE has trouble closing the canopy...so he doesn't think I would be able to do it. While I am tiny, I pack a surprisingly large punch...and he's no giant. Any thoughts? Or is he just a certified wimp? :p

Thanks in advance!

Well, admittedly, I have mixed feelings on this subject (reference my illustrious posting history), but as far as closing the canopy goes, my fleet jet canopy closes pneumatically, so if you can manipulate a simple lever, you're good to go. ;) If you think you want to fly - just do it. :D

Brett

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Dont let him make excuses for you not to do it ... go for it. Best of luck.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Your male friend can barely close what canopy? He's either FOS or a big you know what. If it's what you want to do, just go for it. Petite girls can fly airplanes to. You might just need so help reaching the rudder pedals :D

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I remember struggling to close the T-6 canopy in the beginning. It does take a little muscle. I would just use both arms and kinda thrust my body weight down on that beast. Don't let that stop u from applying. I know a few females in both SNA and SNFO training and theyre all doing just fine.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Yeah the t-6 was a little tough to close, but eventually you figure out something that works for you. If you can pass a prt and college you should be able to find a way to close it.

EvilGN

pilot
your bf must be talking about the T-6, its the only plane i can think of that would require extra force/arm length, to where one would say its hard to close...

but that issue should never persuede you to not try, no matter how short you are, with the seat in the full up position, you can reach the rail

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
The T-6 canopy was not hard to close... At least I, nor any on my instructors, had any issues closing it... save the one time the canopy latch handle broke off...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Bubba, I think you might have a little more mass working for you than a petite young thing. And besides, IPs never have trouble w/ anything. :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder if the side-closing canopy is just a pain by nature; the T-45 has a similar setup and I remember it being a PITA on occasion. I'm a small guy anyway, but the problem never turned out to be brute strength; you just had to fiddle with it some.

Cortney

your bf must be talking about the T-6, its the only plane i can think of that would require extra force/arm length, to where one would say its hard to close...

but that issue should never persuede you to not try, no matter how short you are, with the seat in the full up position, you can reach the rail

Thanks guys! He was talking about the T-6, but I think you're right...he's mostly a wimp. (And I must also correct...an ex.) I'm 5'4, and well, let's just say I'm not big enough to donate blood. However, size is not necessarily the best measure of strength. I could kick his arse on most days (and usually did). That's either from being a gym rat or having grown up w/ 4 brothers and knowing what it takes to beat up on guy :p

I will most definitely be a pilot some how, some way. I'm actually starting lessons on my own this weekend....I'm so excited.

Another interesting tidbit bout the ex: He said he couldn't picture me as a pilot, in the Navy or as a civilian, and he admitted it was probably due to my size. When I asked him what he did see me as, his response was (literally) "a stay-at-home mom." While that is not offending in any way (my mom rocked at being 'just' a mom), I find it funny how people tend to equate size to potential/ability.

It's all cool though. When I am a pilot, I will be able to go anywhere I want...and him, well, he'll go where the pilot wants to go. :icon_glas
(not hatin on NFO's...just those with no faith, ie: him. haha)

If they start asking you to post pictures, you probably will not find any more useful info in the thread :)
Ain't that the truth...