• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Knife pocket on flight suit

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sorry, couldn't resist...at least for another year (or more if I suck).

HueyCobra8151

pilot
At Yuma SAR our Corpsmen carried their medical scissors in that pocket.

The rest of the pockets need to be free so that you can stick tools and aircraft parts in them...;)

GT Propjock

Carry my pocket knife in the shroud cutter pocket, or a Mag-Lite for night flights, keep my hunting knife in one leg pocket, and a K-Bar in my bag. Though it may be a mute point flying Hercs? :cool:

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
My question was more to the point of why anyone would be asking about the "homosex" USAF style flight suits

Just about every Marine pilot I flew with wore the "homosexual" style USAF flight suit. The only guys that wore the kind with the thigh pockets were the guys who had been in about 20 yrs or so. Old Gunnys, master sergeants and Lt. Col.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...If that's where it was put in the past, then I whole heartily apologize for my ignorance.
Not to worry .... that's just where "they" designed and put it ... that's why the pocket had the little white lanyard threaded into the pocket --- for your shroud cutter to attach to --- so you wouldn't lose it when hanging from a tree or floundering around in the water.

The current flight suit and most of it's "cousins" were designed in the '60's and it was to be a "one size fits all" with regards to all NAVAIR communities and their flight suit needs. So what was good for VP guys in flying boats was also good for VA/VF jet jocks yankin' and bankin' in the fastest of the day --- except that they wore G-suits, thus negating any truly useful purpose for the ..... drum roll .... shroud cutter pocket in the left leg of the flight suit.

I tried a spare pack of cigarettes in the pocket once -- didn't work. :icon_rast