• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Knife pocket on flight suit

JustAGuy

pilot
"Knife" pocket??? Do you mean the shroud cutter pocket ???

Nope, he means the pocket on the inside left thigh of flight suits/g-suits. The shroud cutter on the old SV-82's was on top of the radio and is in the same location on the new airsafe vests.

And I have only seen a single person put something in there. When you put a g-suit over it, it's pretty pointless to have something in there. I could see putting a small mag light in the g-suit pocket, but really the only time I would use it would be a survival situation.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Nope, he means the pocket on the inside left thigh of flight suits/g-suits. ...
And what, pray tell, did you think I was talkin' about ... ???

Inside left leg of the flight suit IS the shroud cutter pocket. Unless, of course, if you have figured out some other name for it over the intervening years ... then knock yourself out.

If it's the shroud cutter pocket you're talkin' about (inside, left leg/thigh/whatever, flight suit) then you can't realistically carry ANYTHING in there if you wear a G-Suit over it .... otherwise .... just make sure you don't carry a candy bar in there .... :eek:

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
the flight suits I was issued in 1996 at NASP (Naval Aircrewmen Candidate School) only had pockets on either side at the bottom of the leg, two breast pockets, and a pocket on the left bicep area. Some people had the other kind, I just liked these better.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
the flight suits I was issued in 1996 at NASP (Naval Aircrewmen Candidate School) only had pockets on either side at the bottom of the leg, two breast pockets, and a pocket on the left bicep area. Some people had the other kind, I just liked these better.
Sounds similar to the "dressy" , fitted, nomex flight suits we were issued in the Reserves @ 1980 in dark blue or khaki for C-12 VIP flights ..... FSN, in the system on a limited basis. Hard to get.

Probably not the same as your 16+ years later, but .... ???

Stubby

Ask the Chief
I like the flight suits without the thigh pockets. Anyone else?
WTF are you talking about, Willis?
For a while in the mid 90's the Navy issued a flight suit without the pocket on each thigh. Instead, there was a zipper so you could get to the pockets in your pants being worn underneath (assuming anyone actually does this). I was told at the time that these flight suits were originally used by the Air Force.

If I remember right... they also had the pen holder on the pocket at the bottom of the leg instead of on the shoulder (or maybe in addition to... I can't remember....) That was the only thing I thought was arguably good about them... It's a pain to get to your pen if you are wearing a leather jacket!

To answer Carvone's question.... I use my thigh pockets for my wallet and flight gloves and went to great lengths not to be issued those pocketless flight suits.... and I carry a pocket knife or mag light in my shroud cutter pocket (tied in with the provided line, of course).

Pags

N/A
pilot
I always knew the pocket on your inner left thigh as the shroud cutter pocket. however, since i don't have any shrouds that need cutting, i don't use it for much. i have used it to hold an extra flashlight at night and i know some folks who put a knife in there, but that's about it. if you're lacking string to tie your pencil to your kneeboard with, the string that hides in that pocket is great for it.

@stubby: you still see a few of those crappy AF flightsuits around. I guess the stocks of them didn't dry up for the shorter sizes.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I never put anything in the theigh pockets, not even the shroud-cutter pocket. I had a couple USAF-style ones in API. The main benefit was that you could rearrange your junk as required, but they just looked kinda strange.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
There's a chick in my squadron who carries a knife in the shroud cutter pocket. The thing is huge, and we make fun of her all the time for it.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
I used to carry a small knife in there...but then I found out if you want something cut that bad just ask any Marine