• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Knife pocket on flight suit

JustAGuy

pilot
And what, pray tell, did you think I was talkin' about ... ???

Again, there might have been a change in the survival gear, but the shorud cutter for us is right in front of the survival radio on our gear in a very easy location to get to, with a quick release snap/flap. I've always heard it referenced as a "knife pocket" since there would be no reason to have two shroud cutters. Also, let me reiterate this is for the jet community, I could see it being stored there for helo/prop people since they may not wear full survival gear from start to shutdown.

If that's where it was put in the past, then I whole heartily apologize for my ignorance.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Most USMC Hornet guys (and nearly every USAF fighter guy) remove the shroud cutter pocket. The theory is (I'm told) that having it means that you admit there is a chance you'll need it (i.e. shot down). Some kind of machismo "blissful ignorance" thing. Supposedly people will rip it right off your leg at the club if you still have it on.

Lots of chopper dudes carry knives/leathermans in theirs when they don't carry (or in addition to) their super-tactical boot knives.

All I use mine for is the string to tie stuff with (pens, etc). The one in my G-suit is empty, but I have carried a Maglite in it before.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I could see it being stored there for helo/prop people since they may not wear full survival gear from start to shutdown.

We wear survival gear from start to shutdown in helos, it just stops at the waist with the leg straps.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lots of chopper dudes carry knives/leathermans in theirs when they don't carry (or in addition to) their super-tactical boot knives.

Dude, the prefered nomenclature is Helo Dude and I almost stabbed the screen with any of the three knives Im carrying (living up to the stereotype) when I read Chopper dude.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For a while in the mid 90's the Navy issued a flight suit without the pocket on each thigh.

I'm aware. My question was more to the point of why anyone would be asking about the "homosex" USAF style flight suits. ;) Now we know that there are apparently some people who like that kind of stuff, eh Chief? Of all people though, I would never have imagined that it would be an AW. :D

Brett

KSUFLY

pilot
I carry a boatswain's call in my shroud pocket. It was a family member's during WWII and was given to me from my Grandpa when I graduated from college for good luck. I haven't crashed yet so it's doing it's job so far!!!:)

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
I remember the replica pocket on the G suit being filled with a hook knife for cutting chute lines, etc, at Moody for the T-6. That is what the pocket is for, no doubt.

Old NFO

None
I'll agree with A4- it was for your personal shroud cutter/knife that we were issued, which was a backup for the one on the LPA-1 or whatever version of vest they are wearing today. I kept a knife and maglight in mine.

KSUFLY

pilot
Boatswain's PIPE! Hence the term "Piped Aboard". Geezee. :icon_tong

You are piped aboard by the Boatswain's Call. Some wrongly call it a pipe. However, the Boatswain's Pipe is the actual noise the call makes. Hence, "piped aboard." Geezee!!!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I just call it the dogwhistle. What a pain in the a$$.

How else will you know that it's 1412 and Seaman Smith needs to call extension 117? It's not like you're trying to sleep or something...

I wear the mini-mag in my Shroud-cutter pocket. Has always done me well, especially on 0200 preflights in the middle of the ocean and it's inky dark.

As for Cobra guys w/ knifes...My onwing in Primary told me they carried one on their boot because before they had an acutal egress "release," they had to cut through the plexi to get out. Kind of critical if you ditch in the water. Maybe he was just trying to impress me.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No its true, there are egress knives installed in both cockpits that have really stubby blades of questionable sharpness, mostly for punching holes to allow water in the equilize pressure so you can open the hatch (pleasant thought)
The truth of the matter is that you really cant be a skid guy without a knife on your flightsuit, funny I used to laugh at the peple with knives in primary but I have been thoroughly indocrinated and have about 7 of them for wear with a flight suit.
Want to see a lot of new knives, visit an HMLA prior to an Iraq rotation.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, it makes sense. I have a Leatherman that's strapped to my boot for when I go on the road. You never know when you need a tool...unless "it's" wearing an oak leaf.