• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kneeboards for Tablets

sickboy

pilot
I found the inflight weather, although time late, to be much more valuable than the traffic advisories. Not enough to pick through a cell but just as a general SA tool.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Recommend hitting up the Weapons School and getting a walk-through with some Android app options. There’s a civilian release of ATAK that has a lot of great options. Also compatible with ADS-B, weather plugins, etc. too.
Huge, thanks.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I found the inflight weather, although time late, to be much more valuable than the traffic advisories. Not enough to pick through a cell but just as a general SA tool.
Yep, it's useful in a couple ways (that complement proper preflight planning, of course).

In a few seconds you can see the general field conditions—IFR, VFR, low IFR—across a wide area and keep track of whether things are progressing as forecast, deteriorating faster than you expected, or just as importantly for mission accomplishment see if they're improving faster than you expected. The key here is it only takes a few seconds, much much easier than listening through a handful of ATIS loops (if you even have reception) or calling a weather service and having a two-way radio conversation. Not that those old fashioned ways aren't useful tools in their own right, they're just different.

The weather radar and precipitation picture is great. Again, in a few seconds it tells you if you'll have to fly hundreds of miles to get around a strong front or if it's a weak front with some passable gaps that might only cost you a few minutes of time and fuel. Same with airmass (popup) thunderstorms.

Side note on the old fashioned weather stuff, I actually miss the HIWAS broadcasts on VORs, although with internet weather you can access the source inflight. Those broadcasts got discontinued a few years ago but I'd found them substantially useful on long cross country flights. You could listen to a seemingly tedious convective sigmet description but it would give you the states affected, which actually filled in my SA in a big picture sense. The "two zero miles south southwest of the pawtucket V O R extending to three five miles northeast of the East B F E V O R" thing was rarely useful, but I can easily picture "northern Mississippi and Alabama, western Tennessee, Arkansas..." in relation to my route. "Tops 300/450/600" instantly tells me the difference between bad weather, really bad weather, and "gonna be on the news" weather, and finally "moving little/25 knots from the southwest/40 knots/etc." gives me a good idea where that weather is going to be in an hour, two hours, and so on.

Anyway, just some thoughts on using all that different technology for local hops, going one or two hundred miles, or trying to get somewhere a thousand miles away.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

The TH-57's GTN-650's in flight weather was a game changer for me. I estimate my sortie completion rate jumped up probably 10-15% after getting them.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Any reason you cannot bring along a battery powered ADS-B receiver sunction cupped to window to pair with your tablet?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Yep, it's useful in a couple ways (that complement proper preflight planning, of course).

In a few seconds you can see the general field conditions—IFR, VFR, low IFR—across a wide area and keep track of whether things are progressing as forecast, deteriorating faster than you expected, or just as importantly for mission accomplishment see if they're improving faster than you expected. The key here is it only takes a few seconds, much much easier than listening through a handful of ATIS loops (if you even have reception) or calling a weather service and having a two-way radio conversation. Not that those old fashioned ways aren't useful tools in their own right, they're just different.

The weather radar and precipitation picture is great. Again, in a few seconds it tells you if you'll have to fly hundreds of miles to get around a strong front or if it's a weak front with some passable gaps that might only cost you a few minutes of time and fuel. Same with airmass (popup) thunderstorms.

Side note on the old fashioned weather stuff, I actually miss the HIWAS broadcasts on VORs, although with internet weather you can access the source inflight. Those broadcasts got discontinued a few years ago but I'd found them substantially useful on long cross country flights. You could listen to a seemingly tedious convective sigmet description but it would give you the states affected, which actually filled in my SA in a big picture sense. The "two zero miles south southwest of the pawtucket V O R extending to three five miles northeast of the East B F E V O R" thing was rarely useful, but I can easily picture "northern Mississippi and Alabama, western Tennessee, Arkansas..." in relation to my route. "Tops 300/450/600" instantly tells me the difference between bad weather, really bad weather, and "gonna be on the news" weather, and finally "moving little/25 knots from the southwest/40 knots/etc." gives me a good idea where that weather is going to be in an hour, two hours, and so on.

Anyway, just some thoughts on using all that different technology for local hops, going one or two hundred miles, or trying to get somewhere a thousand miles away.

I bet you miss morse code too. ?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Any reason you cannot bring along a battery powered ADS-B receiver sunction cupped to window to pair with your tablet?

That's exactly what I did. Just had to remember to take it off and back on going through about FL180 or it'll fall down. Turns out suction at sea level and suction at cockpit altitude of 20k are different.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Thankfully "Auto ID" of VOR/TACAN/LOC is a thing ;) (and even the dumbest of Nav receivers do this now)
I gotta admit, I felt a bit like this and also happy at the same time when I realized the box did this step for me and puts "I-BFE" on the screen to tell me I dialed in everything correctly.

zoolander-300x188.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
.--- .. -- / .. ... / -. --- - / --- .-.. -.. --..-- / .... . / .. ... / ...- .. -. - .- --. . .-.-.-

(copy and paste to any morse code translator online).
I recall tuning receivers in VT/HTs and hoping that no one asked me to actually verify that it was the right one via Morse. Hearing some dots and dashes is good enough for ID right? (It's been over 9yrs since my last instrument check so I think the statute of limitations has past and I can admit this without the Stan police coming after me).

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
NGA publishes a very basic FLIP reader app - for both iPad, Android and Windows of all things. Not pretty and basic but it works for the lowest common denominator. I think it even works on Android phones. CAC access needed for download.

EDIT: I am told the Android and Win apps are crap and havent been updated since 2012.

PMPT

I've used it in the T-45 and a grey jet fairly extensively. Works pretty well for the most part. It's a cellular-enabled ipad mini (which allows you to utilize the GPS without any internet or telecom connection). It has dropped my track at various points while flying across the country, but it's been great for supplementing onboard equipment and obviously beats the hell out flying with paper pubs.

I did the ghetto version of making my own kneeboard with velcro which cost the kneeboard + $5 for velcro strips from walmart. Works pretty well. That being said though I wear a G-suit and i've honestly just started using the otterbox case and clipping it 'around' the G suit leg strap so to speak. I've used it in higher g/more dynamic flights and it's never given me any issues in terms of flying off or anything. might not look pretty but it gets the job done.