• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kneeboards for Tablets

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Wife just got me a Samsung Tab A7 10.4". Determined to not be a luddite anymore in the cockpit, what kneeboard do you guys use? Pros and cons? I see a lot of different options and am overwhelmed and am also not even sure what instructions governs them (I am assuming there is more than CNAF 3710). Any other options besides foreflight out there?

Considered resurrecting a couple of old threads, but decided this may be enough of a different topic. MODS, feel free to merge with the Ipad in the Cockpit if not worthy of its own discussion.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This is a little dated, but... https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/tw5/assets/docs/EKB.pdf There's another NAVAIR link that's has all of the current EFB info, but I can't remember what it is. It's behind a CAC firewall.

Any EFB you can get signed off through the NAVAIR checklist in concert with your Wing physiologist (I'm not even sure it's required for him/her to be there).

What aircraft will you be flying in? Still a -60? The iPad Mini 5 is a nice size, as it fits in the map case and can also stand up in the CDU. I'm guessing the Mini 6 will share the same foot print (haven't used one yet). The Mini 5 is already approved.

Foreflight really is the easiest solution and CNAF still has .mil subscriptions available for free. The Navy Android app has a lot of the same basics, but it's clunky. I haven't used FlyQ in a while, but it's historically been a little more refined. Personally, I just stick with FF, as it's worth the expense to me for my personal flying.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I use the standard 9G kneeboard with Velcro on it that I put on myself. I put Velcro on the back of the tablet. Never had the tablet become loose or unstable. Only costs like $5 to set up.

Works great with iPad mini for ForeFlight and whatever Samsung we use for Kilswitch and AeroApp.

Only downside to putting tablet on your knee is sometimes you can’t make it bright enough and the sun can be too bright. I know some dudes have suction cups and put them on the canopy and some that just put them on the glare shield… ie theyre loose in the cockpit. I tried doing the glare shield thing once but had the tab fly forward on a bunt strafe…. never again.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
This is a little dated, but... https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/tw5/assets/docs/EKB.pdf There's another NAVAIR link that's has all of the current EFB info, but I can't remember what it is. It's behind a CAC firewall.

Any EFB you can get signed off through the NAVAIR checklist in concert with your Wing physiologist (I'm not even sure it's required for him/her to be there).

What aircraft will you be flying in? Still a -60? The iPad Mini 5 is a nice size, as it fits in the map case and can also stand up in the CDU. I'm guessing the Mini 6 will share the same foot print (haven't used one yet). The Mini 5 is already approved.

Foreflight really is the easiest solution and CNAF still has .mil subscriptions available for free. The Navy Android app has a lot of the same basics, but it's clunky. I haven't used FlyQ in a while, but it's historically been a little more refined. Personally, I just stick with FF, as it's worth the expense to me for my personal flying.

Thanks. Yeah, back in the 60. Unfortunately, tablet is already bought and paid for as a gift. I'll be using it, just have to find out how to properly use it in the cockpit. Didn't realize only certain models were approved or not officially.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Stupid question: what is the connectivity being used for these tablets while flying . . . . . ?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Stupid question: what is the connectivity being used for these tablets while flying . . . . . ?

In the T-6, I used ADS-B at altitude for METAR/TAF/Radar, and LTE data down low. Not sure what's up outside CNATRA land.

BT BT

@DanMa1156 , in all seriousness, I'd get an iPad. I saw lots of folks try to go the Android route in VTs and get really frustrated at the shitty App quality. Things may have changed and the fleet may be a different animal, but ForeFlight on iOS was 10x better than anything else. Even better if Uncle Sugar is footing the bill for the subscription.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
In the T-6, I used ADS-B at altitude for METAR/TAF/Radar, and LTE data down low. Not sure what's up outside CNATRA land.

BT BT

@DanMa1156 , in all seriousness, I'd get an iPad. I saw lots of folks try to go the Android route in VTs and get really frustrated at the shitty App quality. Things may have changed and the fleet may be a different animal, but ForeFlight on iOS was 10x better than anything else. Even better if Uncle Sugar is footing the bill for the subscription.

Got it. I just don't think it's inside the return window at this point.

jtmedli

pilot
Wife just got me a Samsung Tab A7 10.4". Determined to not be a luddite anymore in the cockpit, what kneeboard do you guys use? Pros and cons? I see a lot of different options and am overwhelmed and am also not even sure what instructions governs them (I am assuming there is more than CNAF 3710). Any other options besides foreflight out there?

Considered resurrecting a couple of old threads, but decided this may be enough of a different topic. MODS, feel free to merge with the Ipad in the Cockpit if not worthy of its own discussion.

I tried going the iPad pro route and anything bigger than an iPad Mini is just too big. I already tried the Android options and nothing even comes close to foreflight. It's worth paying for foreflight out of pocket of you have to because it will save your ass from flying through a TFR, SIGMET, or some other BS one day.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
If you are flying ADS-B it comes through the system. So, in my case, my little “box” receives the signal from various towers and sends it to my iPad. With that I get all sorts of GPS based information and weather. I can also use a simple GPS with a Bluetooth connection for navigation support.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Any gouge on this? We had to pay out of pocket last time I was in the cockpit, but since I’m starting the RAG again very soon, might as well ask.

I'm sure JOPA has the angle where you are (based on your IP). I know JOPA instructors have the gouge on the other coast. I just don't know how many more subscriptions exist or how they're allocated...or for how long. It does require your .mil address, though.

Officially none, other than GPS signals. Personally I think what the TRACOM guys do by running ADS-B through wifi/BT makes a lot sense, especially for the flying they do.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot

I'm new to ForeFlight, so anything I say is very likely to be common knowledge around here for folks who have been using it.

I know ADS-B will give you TCAS, but a cool ForeFlight feature that works even if you don't have in-flight connectivity is the ability to "pack up" any files necessary to support your particular flight. I have a general "local area" route built that includes every airfield I might work at over the course of three hours or so, and when I hit the "Pack" button, it downloads all the pertinent weather/charts/pubs/NOTAMS/etc. for any airfields in the vicinity of that route.

Between the GPS signal (cellular-enabled iPad, but no plan required) and the packed files, that's all I've found myself needing.

red_stang65

pilot
Recommend hitting up the Weapons School and getting a walk-through with some Android app options. There’s a civilian release of ATAK that has a lot of great options. Also compatible with ADS-B, weather plugins, etc. too.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know ADS-B will give you TCAS,

A small point of order, but it does not give you TCAS, it only gives you time-late positional information of "nearby" traffic. Your IFF is actually giving you more reliable info than ADS-B. But for those of us without such toys when flying, it's still a handy tool.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
A small point of order, but it does not give you TCAS, it only gives you time-late positional information of "nearby" traffic. Your IFF is actually giving you more reliable info than ADS-B. But for those of us without such toys when flying, it's still a handy tool.

Good correction. I just found out about that feature while picking up a multiengine rating in an old Beechcraft, so the feature was much appreciated!