• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Khaki vs. Green Flight Suits and who can wear brown boots

Coota0

None
The rank insignia is a Staff Sergeant so I'm guessing a door gunner or similar. Probably not a crew chief since they have no wings. Since you are Army I'd assume you know more about uniform insignia than I do for the Army.

I don't like the 2 piece flight uniform. Just MHO.

The no wings thing is because there are no leather patches allowed on the A2CUs and pin on wings are a FOD hazzard, so in effect no one wears their wings on A2CUs. I was just generally complaining about A2CUs.

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
Fleet and Training Command are different. You won't find anyone who has issues with Chiefs or Non aircrew officers wearing brown boots. In flight school, most of the people who have issues with Students wearing brown boots are other students. I don't give a shit if you wear brown boots as a student (especially since thats what you were issued). If your good enough to die in a mishap you are good enough to wear brown shoes and brown boots.

I completely understand there are differences (BIG differences) between the Fleet and TRACOMs, I've been in both. My post was directed more towards my fellow students who THINK there is an issue with brown boots. Like I said, I haven't seen an IP (in the TRACOM) with an issue nor have I seen anyone confront a wearer of khaki uniforms w/out gold wings about it (in the Fleet). The only place where it seems to pop up is in these forums. I'm just trying to get my peers to chill out about it.

But I completely agree with your opinion about who's "good enough" to wear them! :D

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm just trying to get my peers to chill out about it.

If leadership has determined that something is OK to wear, be it brown boots or tan flight suits, then feel free to wear it, regardless of what your peers say. Don't let your peers pressure you just because they're weak dick. Next thing you know, it's going to be winter and people are going to be saying that their peers said wearing a jacket is bad luck or that you shouldn't dip your cover or some other BS. And guess what? It's all BS.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
First lesson of JO-ship: people like to make up stupid shit based on what they think you should do.

If another JO tells you you can't wear/do something, particularly if it's issued, just ask them for the reference. Or shrug and carry-on.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I was told brown boots will be worn or cammies. Full uniformity with shoulder patch and all, big difference from flight school. Could certainly be different at the next squadron.

AE, I'm an 11 in boots

Same @ -101, though they are ok with us wearing black boots until supply gets our orders for browns in. But camo/tan bags and no non-squadron shoulder patches.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Go by the general it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission rule. I managed to get a pair of brown boots at the RAG first (my classmates followed soon after) and never got shit. Every instance that I had where an instructor noticed and asked me where I got them was followed by a nice headwork remark. All I did was ask for a pair and I got issued one. Why wear the uncomfortable boots if they're perfectly willing to issue the much more comfortable brown Bellevilles? There's not wanting to usurp something you haven't earned, and then there's just being retarded.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Same @ -101, though they are ok with us wearing black boots until supply gets our orders for browns in. But camo/tan bags and no non-squadron shoulder patches.

I meant the "tan" brown bellevilles, not the brown bellevilles that I was used to seeing instructors wear in the VT's. You likely meant the same ones, but I think it's funny that there are two kinds of "brown" boots.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I meant the "tan" brown bellevilles, not the brown bellevilles that I was used to seeing instructors wear in the VT's. You likely meant the same ones, but I think it's funny that there are two kinds of "brown" boots.

Ahh roger that. I know the "tan" ones you speak of from Meridian, but yeah I was talking about the browns most of the Navy types wear.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Two words. Red. Wings.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Not authorized. I could walk from one end of Hadjiville a lot easier/more comfortably in those than the Leadvilles.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You get issued tan and green flight suits. Some squadrons have additional colors (i.e. Black Aces - Black).

As for wear, in VTs it seems to be preference of the wearer. In the fleet at home some squadrons have tactical wednesday (or something similar) where everyone wears tan. I have heard out at sea it depends on what environment you are going to be flying into... but I defer to those who have BTDT

No

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Two words. Red. Wings.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Not authorized. I could walk from one end of Hadjiville a lot easier/more comfortably in those than the Leadvilles.

Did a boat deployment with each as well as a staff tour in Qatar with the Bellvilles.
Love the Bellevilles & now have black (for BDU's), brown (for green bag) and desert (for bag & DCUs) while my Red Wings are now my paint & yardwork boots.