• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Khaki vs. Green Flight Suits and who can wear brown boots

altuc

In different pictures/videos I've notice various colored flight suits, mostly Green and Khaki. How does one determine what flight suit they will be issued? By this I mean is there any logic to it, ie Squadron, Aircraft Platform, Command, rank? I was curious, im not sure if there is a definite answer.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
You get issued tan and green flight suits. Some squadrons have additional colors (i.e. Black Aces - Black).

As for wear, in VTs it seems to be preference of the wearer. In the fleet at home some squadrons have tactical wednesday (or something similar) where everyone wears tan. I have heard out at sea it depends on what environment you are going to be flying into... but I defer to those who have BTDT

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
In general, while stateside you wear green flightsuits. The same goes for when you go somewhere, look outside and see, well, green: Europe, Japan, etc. I've only worn my desert flightsuits on deployment in the Middle East and Northern Africa, places you look outside and see lots of brown.

Going through the VTs we had instructors that wore their desert flightsuits every now and then, usually during the summer. Occasionally you'd see an embroidered flightsuit from a fleet squadron on Fridays in keeping with Fleet Patch Friday.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Tan flight suits in the Sandbox, Fallon, Nellis... brown sandy places. Green everywhere else. My squadron does tan bags for SDO while at home.

Marines do it a little different. Can't talk to that seeing as how I'm not a Marine.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Too many rules that are based on what some XO thinks his skipper wants. If they issue 'em to you and there isn't any written guidance, wear what you want. Tan in sandy places, sure, but tan in Key West makes sense too because its freakin' hot there, and the lighter color is somewhat cooler. Basing your color on the your location can be kinda dumb at times. Are you trying to hide from the SAR helo in Fallon if you need a lift?

What is a pet peeve though, and you NUW guys (P-3 and exped EA6B) can answer for this... The floppy "boonie" hat with the desert flight suit is GAAAAAAAAAAAAY. Let me spell that out, gee, ay, why... GAY. Get a command ball cap or a piss cutter, but the floppy hat looks sloppy - like you're heading for the "crick" to go fishing. Don't need to hear about how its issued, lots of things are issued, that one needs to go - at least at home.

altuc

Ah, I didnt know there was so much that went into choosing the color you were that day.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I think the Marines (stateside) rotate by time of year......at least that's what they always did in flight school. When I checked into -101 we were warned to not come back in bags until we got some tan/desert ones.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the Marines (stateside) rotate by time of year......at least that's what they always did in flight school. When I checked into -101 we were warned to not come back in bags until we got some tan/desert ones.
Because it'd be thuch a travethty to wear tan bags after Labor Day . . .

Seriously. I've never understood the logic behind the USMC biannual Camouflage Fashion Show.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot

That sounds a little homo.... Generally speaking services adhere to their own uniform regs even when attached to commands of another service... i.e. USAF guys going to HEB in flight suits, USMC studs doing their tan in the summer green in the winter thing.... IMO same rules should apply for you guys at a USMC rag.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
In my squadron, there is absolutely no guidance/direction for flight suits or patches. I wear an FDNY patch on my right sleeve every day and my tan flight suits whenever my green ones are piled in the hamper. I guess that comes from two consecutive skippers wearing their tan flight suits on random days without any rhyme or reason. It might also come from being HSC stationed in San Diego, but I can't speak for other squadrons.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Because it'd be thuch a travethty to wear tan bags after Labor Day . . .

Seriously. I've never understood the logic behind the USMC biannual Camouflage Fashion Show.

It is a little silly to switch back and forth but I like it. Tan bags do seem moderately cooler in the sun, and at least it keeps everyone uniform. I never understood the Navy way in the VT's where people basically wore whatever they felt like that day for a fashion statement.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It is a UNIFORM, in any case, working uni or not. Whether by season, location, or whatever, everyone in the same unit should be wearing the same thing.

I think it is silly to wear anything tan in North Carolina any time of year. I kind of think tan is for deployments in sandy places, but that's just me.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Retarded question for the Navy types, what color shirt under the tan bag: brown or green? I know the Marines wear green underneath, but just wanted to know what color I should stock up on since I might be going somewhere I need to wear tan soon.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Retarded question for the Navy types, what color shirt under the tan bag: brown or green? I know the Marines wear green underneath, but just wanted to know what color I should stock up on since I might be going somewhere I need to wear tan soon.

When I was in the desert we wore brown. Green is a marine thing.

The instruction leaves a lot of this up to squadron CO, so the wearing of tan flightsuits stateside varies from place to place. I think the only concrete rule is that unless you're in the desert, tan flightsuits are a summer only kind of thing.

At my fleet squadron we wore tan flightsuits only when deployed to the desert. We were never allowed to wear them stateside. When we did wear tan flightsuits, it was always with subdued patches and brown shirts.

At my current squadron, tan flightsuits are an option during the summer. And since we don't have subdued patches, everyone just wears their normal colored patches. Some folks wear the squadron colored tshirt and others wear brown shirts, but I think this depends more on whether it's laundry day. For some reason, some folks seem to think that wearing tan flightsuits stateside is some sort of horrible sin, but our leadership could care less.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

You'll still stand out with rank on your shoulders and that tan pisscutter though. It's not like you'll blend in...