• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Khaki vs. Green Flight Suits and who can wear brown boots

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I was told brown boots will be worn or cammies. Full uniformity with shoulder patch and all, big difference from flight school. Could certainly be different at the next squadron.

AE, I'm an 11 in boots

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
The rank insignia is a Staff Sergeant so I'm guessing a door gunner or similar. Probably not a crew chief since they have no wings. Since you are Army I'd assume you know more about uniform insignia than I do for the Army.

I don't like the 2 piece flight uniform. Just MHO.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
...there really is no reason to wear tan flight suits...I find the lack of uniformity...annoying.
We wear 'em because for now, we can. It's inevitable that at some point some chooch is going to get a bug up his ass and make sure that a nastygram hits global message traffic (minimize considered) specifying when we can and can't. Til then, wear 'em if you got 'em!

PSU3333

None
Is nothing sacred?

I was in Pensacola last week for the 50th Anniversary of VT-10. While doing a dog and pony for the NFO Students, I couldn't help but notice that the NON-WINGED ENSIGNS were wearing brown boots. I commented to their Skipper about this and he said that API just started issuing them to all students. I don't know about the rest of you, but I got mine when I checked into my fleet squadron, and wearing them early NEVER crossed my mind!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brown boots before wings?

I was in Pensacola last week for the 50th Anniversary of VT-10. While doing a dog and pony for the NFO Students, I couldn't help but notice that the NON-WINGED ENSIGNS were wearing brown boots. I commented to their Skipper about this and he said that API just started issuing them to all students. I don't know about the rest of you, but I got mine when I checked into my fleet squadron, and wearing them early NEVER crossed my mind!

See below for why. What else can they wear if they're only issued brown boots?

"Not allowed" to wear? Is that a command thing? Black boots may not be issued anymore, but they are authorized.

I wouldn't want to wear the black ones, anyway. They're an abomination.

Probably the same reason they are issuing the brown boots in API.... Money wise it makes far more sense to issue as much 'fleet' gear as possible, as opposed to issuing gear specific to the TRACOM which is only going to be replaced upon check-in to the RAG / Fleet sqdn.

81montedriver

pilot

Maybe its because I missed out on Navy primary and never got filled in, but has the "brown boots for winged aviators only" been a long upheld tradition or is there a reg out there dictating it? Because it seems like whenever the subject comes up around folks higher ranking than myself, they don't know or care and are actually glad that students get the brown boots in API and its one less thing they have to deal with when new guys and gals check into their squadron.

Just my own experience, I only ended up wearing one of the pairs of black boots which leaves me with a pair of never worn size11 black boots.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you were an Air Warriors regular (or lived on AW like Otto), you'd know you head it first on AW:

Afternoon,

I searched for this and couldn't find anything. This last week my API class was issued brown boots. Obviously none of us have earned them and we're wondering what to do about it. Some people have said they are thinking about buying black boots, but that's a good bit of money. From what I understand, this started only a few weeks ago. My buddy's class was the first to get them issued.

Anyone know why this is happening and what we should do about it (if anything)? I'm kind of miffed that we keep killing off traditions.

Thanks.

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
Good grief! The "must have wings to wear brown boots" thing again?? First, it's what they're issuing in API now. Second, there are no regulations stating that you must be a winged aviator to wear them. Third, try telling all the aviation rated chiefs and non-flight crew Officers out there that they can't wear them because they don't have shinny gold wings. Finally, this site is the only place that I've heard people complain about studs getting them. I haven't seen a single IP say anything about it, don't recall seeing anyone in the fleet get huffy puffy with a Chief or AMDO about it either. I can't believe some people were actually considering BUYING those crappy black boots after they got issued the much more comfortable brown Bellvilles. It isn't that big of a deal people!

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now since the blue cammies are an unfortunate reality, what would make sense is for API to issue one pair brown boots for flight suit wear and one pair black for aquaflage use since that NAVADMIN came out saying you can wear flight boots with them. That, of course, is too logical, and now I will go enter the cone of shame for having dared to think such a thing.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

I think wings are the only thing that's sacred. Am I a shitty Ensign? Should I wear black shoes too?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tradition...

Maybe its because I missed out on Navy primary and never got filled in, but has the "brown boots for winged aviators only" been a long upheld tradition or is there a reg out there dictating it? Because it seems like whenever the subject comes up around folks higher ranking than myself, they don't know or care and are actually glad that students get the brown boots in API and its one less thing they have to deal with when new guys and gals check into their squadron.

So much ado about nothing! No matter what anyone says, how can anyone fault you for wearing what you're issued? Brown shoes/boots do not designate you a Naval Aviator, only a letter & "gold shinny wings" do. If "brown boots for winged aviators only" is a tradition, it's a fairly new one. Wasn't a requirement during my 22-year adventure.:sleep_125
BzB

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Good grief! The "must have wings to wear brown boots" thing again?? First, it's what they're issuing in API now. Second, there are no regulations stating that you must be a winged aviator to wear them. Third, try telling all the aviation rated chiefs and non-flight crew Officers out there that they can't wear them because they don't have shinny gold wings. Finally, this site is the only place that I've heard people complain about studs getting them. I haven't seen a single IP say anything about it, don't recall seeing anyone in the fleet get huffy puffy with a Chief or AMDO about it either. I can't believe some people were actually considering BUYING those crappy black boots after they got issued the much more comfortable brown Bellvilles. It isn't that big of a deal people!

Fleet and Training Command are different. You won't find anyone who has issues with Chiefs or Non aircrew officers wearing brown boots. In flight school, most of the people who have issues with Students wearing brown boots are other students. I don't give a shit if you wear brown boots as a student (especially since thats what you were issued). If your good enough to die in a mishap you are good enough to wear brown shoes and brown boots.