• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Keeping pilots in cockpits

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
:icon_roll
Ditto. I figured that I'd bite and flush him out with some probing questions, then take him out Dick Chenney style. :D

Brett

Birdman

hamod said:
hello everybody please anybody can find a job for me ???
i am a jet pilot from iraq and its too risky to stay here and i had a lot of threats from the terrorists and some unknown people to kill me because i was a pilot !!!! i dont know why tey are hate us ??? with best regards
:banghead_ Well, if you really are from the Iraqi Air Force no one is going to want to hire you. You guys did an awful job

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
hamod said:
i am a jet pilot from iraq and its too risky to stay here and i had a lot of threats from the terrorists and some unknown people to kill me because i was a pilot !!!! i dont know why tey are hate us ??? with best regards

Hmmm...methinks Netherlands...not Baghdad.

150px-DoNotFeedTroll.svg.png

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I want to know when they're going to quit trying to take away our cool flying jobs and start automating things like cleaning heads and desk jobs.

pdx

HSM Pilot
UAVs are great for certain roles. They can fit in a backpack and ride along with infantry and scout platoons. Sometimes they can do patrol and recon more effectively than manned craft. Maybe someday in the near future they can even launch weapons for ground strikes, but air-to-air combat? It seems like we are a ways off from that. Intercepting an F-14 or even an older MiG with a UAV seems quite a ways off.

One area that will remain UAV free (imho) is putting troops in zone. I couldn't image asking a bunch of marines or sailors to hop in the back of an unmanned helo and go into a dangerous LZ.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Wow, people are still posting.... the thread must... not.... die!!!

Anyway to follow up on previous posts... I agree that the Iranian Air Force would definitely put up more of a fight than any adversary we've faced since Vietnam... However... I in no way think that going UCAV is a way to fight a large country such as China or NK... between us and the air force we have thousands of aircraft, and more importantly (as you all can attest to) ... thousands of highly skilled aviators........as long as we're keeping the technological edge sharp (JSF etc.) we should be good.

Mostly this is just wishful thinking... I toured VMFA-134 out at Miramar on Wednesday and found myself disheartened talking to a couple pilots there... they basically told me and my fellow motivator (you two are probably going to be some of the last fighter pilots if you make it that far) ... I don't want to see the greatest job in the world go away .. especially after they gave us some sim time in the F/A-18 simulator...

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
pdx said:
UAVs are great for certain roles. They can fit in a backpack and ride along with infantry and scout platoons. Sometimes they can do patrol and recon more effectively than manned craft. Maybe someday in the near future they can even launch weapons for ground strikes, but air-to-air combat? It seems like we are a ways off from that. Intercepting an F-14 or even an older MiG with a UAV seems quite a ways off.

One area that will remain UAV free (imho) is putting troops in zone. I couldn't image asking a bunch of marines or sailors to hop in the back of an unmanned helo and go into a dangerous LZ.

Hah, so helo drivers will have the last laugh. After the last fighter pilot has been replaced by a pimply faced teenager trained on hours playing Ace Combat in front of the PS2, helo drivers will still be bringing Marines into "the ****".

Poetic, in a sense.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
invertedflyer said:
Mostly this is just wishful thinking... I toured VMFA-134 out at Miramar on Wednesday and found myself disheartened talking to a couple pilots there... they basically told me and my fellow motivator (you two are probably going to be some of the last fighter pilots if you make it that far) ... I don't want to see the greatest job in the world go away .. especially after they gave us some sim time in the F/A-18 simulator...
Not to contribute to the resurection, but that is patently ridiculous. I guess they're going to get these JSFs up and running for 2-3 years, then sh!tcan the whole lot to make ramp space for the Global Hawk. Look at how long some of the airframes in use today have been in service (EA-6B, F-15C, B-52!) Manned combat aviation will last at least as long as the next generation of aircraft.

Brett

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
hamod said:

WTF?:eek: