• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Keeping a Security Clearance?????

AFCCT

I have recently been selected by the board for a pilot slot under the BDCP. I am awaiting my physical to make it official. Anyway I am currently in the Air National Guard and have a TS/SCI security clearance. It was just completed last spring. I am trying to take this clearance with me but I cannot get a definitive answer if it is possible. Has anyone had any success keeping a clearence from another service?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The investigation may remain current so that if you find yourself in a position that you need that clearance it can be reactivated. There are two components to this the investigation (are you trustworthy) and the need to have access to that information (do you need it to do your job)

You will not need access to TS material as a BDCP guy so it will probably not remain active

AFCCT

That makes sense. I know I would not need it as a college student BDCP guy. So I guess if I needed it there wouldnt be much work to activate it again? Do Navy pilots generally have TS clearances?

Chubby

That makes sense. I know I would not need it as a college student BDCP guy. So I guess if I needed it there wouldnt be much work to activate it again? Do Navy pilots generally have TS clearances?
TS is manditory now in jet advanced.

MasterBates

Helos, no TS in ADV, and in HSL, usually only the det OIC has TS. Some do not have TS, so I do not think it is mando..

Pugs

Back from the range
None

Prowler does but the work is nothing on your part. Just keep your form so when you have to fill it out again you have all those addresses and when you get to the RAG or soon after you get to the fleet they'll read you in again

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
E-2's need TS/SCI so just keep your form so you can make it easier on yourself later on. Also, if you can put it on a disk, you will be well ahead of the power curve.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you need a clearance, they'll make it happen. Don't worry.

AFCCT

Even if I keep all the info to do another clearance doesnt it still cost the govy alot of time, money, and manpower to reaccomplish the TS. I know the security agencies are severely backlogged. It took 2 years for my clearance to get finished. It just seems that its a matter of paperwork to just keep it and avoid the work later on.

Ailen

Sure, it costs the government a lot of work, but TS/SCI requires an update every five years anyway. You'll need the paperwork anyway so it's definitely a good idea to hold onto it and then just update it.

If you obtain TS/SCI and then it goes inactive because you are not using it, there is less work if you need it again in six months and then say, two years. After that, you might as well be starting from scratch again, but that's just how it works.

Bottom line: It's nice that you have it, but you're not going to hold onto it. If you need it again, the government will provide.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
E-2's need TS/SCI so just keep your form so you can make it easier on yourself later on. Also, if you can put it on a disk, you will be well ahead of the power curve.

Same/same...

You'll get it if you need it.

If you're a government employee, I don't know why you're worried? The govt will get you a clearance if they determine you need it.

Where it matters is if you want to be an outside contractor... you're more employable if you already have a clearance.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
... you're more employable if you already have a clearance.
So, are you saying a CT2 with 4 years of service and a Top Secret clearance is more employable than a LT with 8 years of service and a Secret clearance?