• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Keeping a Security Clearance?????

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For those of you in the clearance "know" - I've got a question... I currently have a TS/SCI, but I never had an interview (I was on deployment at the time). Well, I went on deployment again and thought I had one of my bills on automatic draft from my checking account (it wasn't) and sure enough hit the magical 180 days overdue... I plan on explaining it on my SF-86, but am I toast? I paid it in full as soon as I got home, if that helps. Also, will I have a chance to explain in my investigation interview when I move to the civilian world? If it was revoked, would it be just the TS/SCI, or the Secret as well?

Don't worry, you'll be fine. The whole idea of debt/credit issues is to determine if you're vulnerable to monetary incentives to commit espionage. If you're not in debt, explain the issue and it won't be a problem.

Brett

phrogpilot73

Don't worry, you'll be fine. The whole idea of debt/credit issues is to determine if you're vulnerable to monetary incentives to commit espionage. If you're not in debt, explain the issue and it won't be a problem.

Brett

So now all I have to worry about is the lifestyle poly when I answer "Yes, I was turned on by the pregnant midget stripper in Tobies"

And for the Marines that have been stationed in Jacksonville, NC and DIDN'T laugh at that, SHAME ON YOU!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So now all I have to worry about is the lifestyle poly when I answer "Yes, I was turned on by the pregnant midget stripper in Tobies"

And for the Marines that have been stationed in Jacksonville, NC and DIDN'T laugh at that, SHAME ON YOU!

I don't know what kind of positions you're looking at, but the lifestyle poly is generally reserved for stuff that's way beyond TS/SCI. If you're concerned/interested, there's a good amount of info about it on the web. I've only done the standard counter-espionage poly, but they're generally not looking to expose all your personal issues, just see if you have any skeletons that might be exploitable by a foreign intelligence service in terms of blackmail.

Brett

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Lifestyle poly is for civs/contractors only. Mil folks will get the CSP (counter-intel scope poly).

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I plan on explaining it on my SF-86, but am I toast?
Just to add to the discussion, you might want to do an EPSQ update. Its a short 2 page form that gives you an opportunity to fill in info since your last security check. I recently was given one by my security manager, took me 15 minutes to update. That way you have it on record, with your remarks. And before anyone hits me on EPSQ, yes, yes, it has been replaced (or being replaced) by Equip. Same process, different mechanism.

As for the security clearnances, in VP, all officers go through the process and get an SSBI on them. But as mentioned, that ultimate clearance level never gets activated, and most of the officers are just plain S or TS during their first and second tours. They do not have the need to know, nor is it required for their duties. I am sure that SWO, SUB and Helo and TACAIR are all different in how they handle it.

Speaking to "employability" on the outside, I was hit up by a couple contracting organizations at my last job. And each of them ONLY cared about two things: 1) Your clearance level and 2) When it expired. The fact that I was a LT and could put coherent sentences together (or maybe not) was a distant third.

John

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Speaking to "employability" on the outside, I was hit up by a couple contracting organizations at my last job. And each of them ONLY cared about two things: 1) Your clearance level and 2) When it expired.
Yup, I couldn't get hired by EG&G to fly 737s to Area 51 because my SSBI had expired and it was a 2 year backlog on new investigations. I lost the job to a guy with half my time and no 737 type. This was also despite the fact I had 3 personal recommendations from friends (former co-workers) already flying there while the guy that got hired was an unknown. It all came down to the fact he had a current SSBI. (BTW, they do have many flights to other places not requiring the clearance so I would have been gainfully employed while waiting for the new background check to be completed).

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Speaking to "employability" on the outside, I was hit up by a couple contracting organizations at my last job. And each of them ONLY cared about two things: 1) Your clearance level and 2) When it expired. The fact that I was a LT and could put coherent sentences together (or maybe not) was a distant third.

Probably because of the high cost to them to get a clearance done for you. I heard a figure of around $65k as what they save on you by hiring you with an existing TS/SCI instead of paying for new one themselves. I know of several individuals who based their government retirement plans/date around when their 5yr clearance update was completed so they could go make big dollars doing the contractor work around DC.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Quick question .... since it has been tangentially referred to before ... is it true that during security screening Marines are polygraphed about stealing bicycles ...??? :confused::sleep_125

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Quick question .... since it has been tangentially referred to before ... is it true that during security screening Marines are polygraphed about stealing bicycles ...??? :confused::sleep_125
Only those that did duty in Japan... :D

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

They didn't ask me about it, but in the interest of full disclosure I admitted that I led a crack squad of bicycle thieves that specialized in the bikes of Prowler ECMOS in and around the Iwakuni area.

They gave me extra points for style and innovation.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Ohh, just wait until I'm in charge of something! :D

Brett

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Probably because of the high cost to them to get a clearance done for you. I heard a figure of around $65k as what they save on you by hiring you with an existing TS/SCI instead of paying for new one themselves. I know of several individuals who based their government retirement plans/date around when their 5yr clearance update was completed so they could go make big dollars doing the contractor work around DC.

It's less about the cost but the time. Starting from scratch it's a couple years before you're good to go to bill a customer task. Smaller firms that are beholden to one or two classified contracts can't keep you on overhead that long. Most of the big ones can find something for you to do. Being an officer means you're likely a known trainable quantity so it's a bit less of crapshoot than man off the street.