• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Keeping a Security Clearance?????

Ailen

So, are you saying a CT2 with 4 years of service and a Top Secret clearance is more employable than a LT with 8 years of service and a Secret clearance?

Absolutely, especially if that CT2 is a CTI in Arabic or Urdu or something like that. More likely that person will have TS/SCI than straight TS though.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think that's what you're saying.

Brett
No, actually it's not. For someone whose mom teaches English, you have a hard time understanding that little symbol at the end....you know, the "?" symbol. I really hate having to explain myself.

An enlisted guy with 4 years and a TS more employable than an officer with 8 years and Secret. Hmmm, I think someone has been smoking the peyote a bit too much.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Absolutely, especially if that CT2 is a CTI in Arabic or Urdu or something like that. More likely that person will have TS/SCI than straight TS though.
And what does any of that have to do with anything?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, actually it's not. For someone whose mom teaches English, you have a hard time understanding that little symbol at the end....you know, the "?" symbol. I really hate having to explain myself.

An enlisted guy with 4 years and a TS more employable than an officer with 8 years and Secret. Hmmm, I think someone has been smoking the peyote a bit too much.

My point, which apparently sailed right over your head, was that is not what TB was implying. What's wrong, buddy? Clearance envy - so unbecoming. ;)

Brett

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My point, which apparently sailed right over your head, was that is not what TB was implying. What's wrong, buddy? Clearance envy - so unbecoming. ;)

Brett
I have a TS, so no worries there. I just think you guys are putting a bit too much emphasis on the clearance and no nearly enough on the skill of the person. A TS/SCI is NOT the end all be all to finding a job.

Ailen

You've already said that. Explain.

For a lot of three-letter agencies, the leadership skills that be more prevalent with an officer are less important than the technical skills and the work required to update any clearances. A Secret clearance is just running your identifying information through some big computers somewhere. TS requires a background investigation. TS/SCI agencies may require greater scope to investigations.

So, for a contractor company like Lockheed or Northrop to hire someone for a contract, they have two main options. Hire someone right off the street or hire someone who has the clearance qualifications. If it's a TS/SCI required position and your candidate only has Secret, basically, it's starting over from scratch including the requisite 6 to 12 months to get that done. If they already have TS/SCI and it's active, they may only need an updated BI which takes less time. In some cases, a person with active TS/SCI may just need a polygraph if that's what the agency needs. So the contractor saves money from having someone be productive right away on a contract and they pay accordingly.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a TS, so no worries there. I just think you guys are putting a bit too much emphasis on the clearance and no nearly enough on the skill of the person. A TS/SCI is NOT the end all be all to finding a job.

I'm not putting any emphasis on it at all. I'm just lobbing grenades, per my usual MO. :D

Brett

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
You've already said that. Explain.

Oh, oops I thought you were asking something else.

The Federal govt currently has a freeze granting/investigating (I'm not sure which) clearances for contractors. In a very intel/homeland security concentrated area like DC, there are tons of contracts up for bid doing TS work. Because of the freeze and the overall shortage of TS cleared personnel the demand is very high. The S clearance shortage is much less severe.

Companies would just a soon get you (and your clearance) in the door and train you for any job they need you to do.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For a lot of three-letter agencies, the leadership skills that be more prevalent with an officer are less important than the technical skills and the work required to update any clearances. A Secret clearance is just running your identifying information through some big computers somewhere. TS requires a background investigation. TS/SCI agencies may require greater scope to investigations.

So, for a contractor company like Lockheed or Northrop to hire someone for a contract, they have two main options. Hire someone right off the street or hire someone who has the clearance qualifications. If it's a TS/SCI required position and your candidate only has Secret, basically, it's starting over from scratch including the requisite 6 to 12 months to get that done. If they already have TS/SCI and it's active, they may only need an updated BI which takes less time. In some cases, a person with active TS/SCI may just need a polygraph if that's what the agency needs. So the contractor saves money from having someone be productive right away on a contract and they pay accordingly.
I used to be a Security Manager who coordinated all this for various service members. I have a good feel for why a TS is preferable over a Secret. But having the TS doesn't necessarily make someone more employable.

Ailen

I used to be a Security Manager who coordinated all this for various service members. I have a good feel for why a TS is preferable over a Secret. But having the TS doesn't necessarily make someone more employable.

You're right; it's no golden ticket. And the government doesn't differentiate as much and, luckily, would look more at skill set and fit to the job.

On the other hand, contractors are in a whole other world. Money and time tend to be overemphasized with some detriment to the workforce.