• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Karma?.....am i doomed?

P3toP8

Did you say VP-16 aircrews i.e. AW's doing BS collateral duties??? Never....

Those were the days....VP-16 vet 03-05.

McBuff

Sees the light
From a platform standpoint, It's a pretty good time to get into this flying thing. With the P-8, JSF (maybe), possibly new super hornets in the meantime, 60S/R etc, 53K (god willing), chances are you'll be flying something different than what anyone's worked on in the past. What you want to fly seems like one of those things you just figure out. I know you're excited and you should be (Newport in winter is just swell) so focus on that.

...is API going to be non-stop mindless banter about every asshole's ambition to fly this or that? So far all I hear from similar threads is " I wanted to fly jets ever since I got my first Kelly McGillis chub" and it is driving me nuts!

FWIW this hasn't been my experience. Most people are pretty subtle about what they want. AW does a good job of convincing the 'bags that the Navy isn't for them.

P3 F0

None
The P-3/EP-3/P-8-to-be community is safe, karma-wise, because it does very little tactically dangerous, airframe-stressing flying. There's no tanking, not much form flying or NVG's, no low flying over powerlines, no 1 v 1, OCF, etc. The P-3 is an extremely rugged airframe (but I can't tell you how many times I've looked out the window in turbulence and wondered when the wing was going to snap off). The only thing I can think of that is probably more safe to fly is the E-6-I say this because I can't recall any accidents with one of those.

Now that I think about it, I don't recall any accidents with CODs and E-2's, so maybe they're good bets, too.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Now that I think about it, I don't recall any accidents with CODs and E-2's, so maybe they're good bets, too.

E-2 landing mishap not too long ago in Norfolk along with the one that went into the water off a cat shot off the coast of Virginia (I believe with 3 lost?) about 2 years ago off the top of my head.

Lawman

None
Just look at it from this aspect, everything you fly after Primary has at least two engines so once you get through that your gravy. (Till they finally get the JSF)

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Just look at it from this aspect, everything you fly after Primary has at least two engines so once you get through that your gravy. (Till they finally get the JSF)

Not the T-45... Just ask the birds down in Kingsville.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
wait.... the Ass Kickin War Chickens never had more than a Class A on my watch!

Ummm did we all miss this or am I losing knowledge on this Disassoc tour quicker then I can imagine...did he mean Class C?

" I wanted to fly jets ever since I got my first Kelly McGillis chub" and it is driving me nuts!

Haha...she's gay. Debating on what to say next: "Makes your chub about as worthless as tits on a bull..." or "She finally smartened up and realized she likes it low and slow..."

Oh well. You choose :D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

There plenty relatively speaking. The last fatal mishap with the E-2 was just what, two years ago? All lost onboard after a night catshot. A few in the 90's, all lost onboard the E-2. Last COD fatal mishap was early 70's. But to worry about which aircraft has the best or worst mishap rate is silly. If it's your time, it's your time.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I think he was being funny.

Oh. I hate when humor is lost on me. Oh well.

lawman said:
Oh thats right forgot you guys do that weird school them up in the fixed wing and send them to Helos thing.

I think this is done for a good reason. 2 actually...

1) Navy, CBP, USCG, etc...station plenty of fixed wing a/c with helos...why train more pilots when you have those capible of doing both? To fly is human, to hover, divine...

2) As an IP it was nice to skip over "push forward and the houses get bigger and airspeed increases until your retreating blade stalls and/or you fly to the scene of the crash..." and "pull back and the houses get smaller until you start flying backwards and the houses start getting bigger again until you fly to the scene of the crash" BS. Well, I guess there were a few new concepts, but you get the point. :D

Lawman

None
I think its more that logic would seem to say its a bit overkill to school somebody that is arguably more likely to fly helicopters in something as expensive to operate per hour as a T-34/T-6 when they could get many of those basic airmanship advantages doing some sort of IFS training.

But then again the Army is the pot calling the kettle black since up until very recently we sent guys all the way through an advanced helicopter course and then instead of follow on PCS orders to a unit they put them in the fixed wing transition course.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I think its more that logic would seem to say its a bit overkill to school somebody that is arguably more likely to fly helicopters in something as expensive to operate per hour as a T-34/T-6 when they could get many of those basic airmanship advantages doing some sort of IFS training.

Yeah, but we can't have rockstars who can land on the centerline, TD zone markers EVERY TIME flying helos (not that we DON'T have them)! But, when we need those people to move on to the 3-wire and landing the hook in the same place so many times that there's a hole in the carrier flight deck, we need them to fly jets...Also, until the T-34 (late 70s), ALL flight school students were carrier qualified.

The difference in training methoids probaly stems from the historical significance and difference in the army's field-based vs. the navy's sea-based offensive capabilities.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
FWIW, a T-34 probably costs less/hour than a -57/67. I don't know the numbers for the Jet Ranger, but the Weiner is only a couple hundred an hour. I had the number before but lost it. I'll have find that again. I was amazed at how cheap they are.