• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Karma?.....am i doomed?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
FWIW, a T-34 probably costs less/hour than a -57/67. I don't know the numbers for the Jet Ranger, but the Weiner is only a couple hundred an hour. I had the number before but lost it. I'll have find that again. I was amazed at how cheap they are.

Considering maintenance, agree. Gas, however, was cheap :) 30 gal/hr in the -57. -67 is a "206L" model though with different engine I believe...probably a little pricer...

You can rent a 206B for about $300-$350 sans instructor.

Lawman

None
FWIW, a T-34 probably costs less/hour than a -57/67. I don't know the numbers for the Jet Ranger, but the Weiner is only a couple hundred an hour. I had the number before but lost it. I'll have find that again. I was amazed at how cheap they are.

True but I was getting more at the idea of why teach a guy to left turn, left turn, left turn, land in a turboprop fixed wing when he could learn the same thing in a Retrac Piston Prop.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
True but I was getting more at the idea of why teach a guy to left turn, left turn, left turn, land in a turboprop fixed wing when he could learn the same thing in a Retrac Piston Prop.

What's this square pattern bullshit?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor

They did. It was called the T-34. B.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I'd say because a piston and a turbine are very different animals. Since everything in the fleet is a turbine, why not teach what you'll fight? And yeah, there's actually only two left turns.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Considering maintenance, agree. Gas, however, was cheap :) 30 gal/hr in the -57. -67 is a "206L" model though with different engine I believe...probably a little pricer...

You can rent a 206B for about $300-$350 sans instructor.

I think the number is pushing four figures these days, at least what the Nav' thinks they spend. The last numbers I heard three or four years ago were around $800-900/flight hour.* Not really sure exactly how the bean counters come up with that anyway (they probably leave out a lot of overhead like the costs of running the training bases and never mind the simulator events that are part of the training syllabus...), but it's probably how much more it costs to fly 10,001 hours than 10,000.

* while that seems expensive compared to going out and renting one, hour for hour we fly the things pretty hard... good luck getting an FBO to agree to you using their rental helo for autos, practice emergencies, tactical approaches, shipboard landings ("they bay isn't true saltwater, it's just brackish...") :D

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Which platform selection gives me the best chance of survival, given that from a karma point of view I'm kinda f**ked?

If you are looking for Karma, then there's only one platform where you can honestly say you are saving lives.... helos!

As for what the say when you're in flight school, when asked what you want to fly; the correct answer is, "I don't know Sir (or Ma'am) what do you fly?"
Always know you audience!!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As for what the say when you're in flight school, when asked what you want to fly; the correct answer is, "I don't know Sir (or Ma'am) what do you fly?"
Always know you audience!!

Boooo! Bad advice. Say what you want and work towards it. Honestly, IPs don't care.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Boooo! Bad advice. Say what you want and work towards it. Honestly, IPs don't care.

Seconded. Seriously- you're wasting your time beating around the bush trying to second guess yourself what you think the instructor wants to hear from you that will make him/her happy and then somehow getting the situation to work out in your favor to help you get what you really wanted in the first place...?!? Get my drift?

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Sorry to continue the threadjack, but speaking of operating costs per hour, anyone know what a T-45 costs per hour to operate?

I know the older Alpha models are around $18 million, but I heard from an IP that the newer charlies are worth closer to $25 million... I'm assuming since in the 45 you burn about 2500 pounds per hour (ish) per flight (of course this varies with what type of flying you are doing), at about 6.7 lbs per gallon is around 370 gallons of gas. I'm not sure how much uncle sam pays for it, but I know jet A is about $6.00/gallon.... 370X(maybe)$5ish/gallon = $1900ish for the gas per hour?.. I have no idea what maintainance costs are in addition to this, but i'd be curious to know if anyone has an idea.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Government JP-8 is about $2.70/gal right now. Contract gas is about $3.20/gal. I've never been clear on how they compute cost/hour for contract maintenance.