• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Karma?.....am i doomed?

mdkaboom

Well, to tell the truth, I am a bit annoyed by some in my situation. I am waiting to go to the biggest loser campus in Newport and actually started wondering the other day about what kind of a SNA I would become. Now I know every D-bag SNA select asks all you Salty Pretzels all the time about "what platform should I go?", "how do I get jets?", "how do I not get helos?", "how do I get coolest call sign?" bla bla waa waaa.... Just a tad annoying. If they only knew how freakin lucky they were to be trying.

ANY way. My question about platform selection is purely from a "preservation" standpoint. I am a proud (and soon to be formerly) big hammer swingin Framer. Beat the shit out of P-3's all they way up to QAR. Now I know I am a damn good mechanic, but I also know that I told many pickle "GOOD TO GO SIR", "proseal is just as good as a fastener", "That tire's got at least 2 more landings", and my personal favorite "fluid on the deck means she's full!". Now this brings me to my question. Which platform selection gives me the best chance of survival, given that from a karma point of view I'm kinda f**ked?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Now I know every D-bag SNA select asks all you "how do I not get helos?"

Now this brings me to my question. Which platform selection gives me the best chance of survival, given that from a karma point of view I'm kinda f**ked?

You answered your own question. And yes, any SNA who asks how not to get helos IS a D-bag and I don't want them next to me anyway.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Glad I wasn't in VP-16... I keed...

If the warpig can bring a crew back safely after a midair with "wrong way" or a 7+ G pilot induced OCF, then I am not too worried about the survivability aspect with regards to our platform. Proseal is our generation's bailing wire and duct tape, if P3 didn't go into depot covered in that and leaking all over the place I would be worried that you all weren't keeping her put together for us aircrew.

In all honesty, if you had a problem with an unsafe plane, as in one that would CRASH or not bring an aircrew back ALIVE then wouldn't your response been completely opposite of "good to go, sir?"...

Fuckin A, I salute the hard hours and work you maintainers put in keeping our plane flying. Don't beat yourself up about that.

Congrats on the selection, and best of luck in school and the eventual training!

mdkaboom

You answered your own question. And yes, any SNA who asks how not to get helos IS a D-bag and I don't want them next to me anyway.

Thanks for qualifying the top half Mr. Chunks :D. The proper response should be
"SIR A CARGO PLANE FULL OF RUBBER......SIR" Right?

mdkaboom

Glad I wasn't in VP-16... I keed...

In all honesty, if you had a problem with an unsafe plane, as in one that would CRASH or not bring an aircrew back ALIVE then wouldn't your response been completely opposite of "good to go, sir?"...

Fuckin A, I salute the hard hours and work you maintainers put in keeping our plane flying. Don't beat yourself up about that.

Congrats on the selection, and best of luck in school and the eventual training!
Thanks!

wait.... the Ass Kickin War Chickens never had more than a Class A on my watch!

Seriously though, I know my thread is kind of a joke, but is API going to be non-stop mindless banter about every asshole's ambition to fly this or that? So far all I hear from similar threads is " I wanted to fly jets ever since I got my first Kelly McGillis chub" and it is driving me nuts!

Just a little curious about different platforms from a maintenance point of view.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Just don't be the jackass who uses a weird font and size that hurts to read . . . .

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just a little curious about different platforms from a maintenance point of view.
There are communities right now with worse problems than P3s. Each community has its own unique issues with regards to maintenance, flight hours, repair parts, etc. Not really something I would focus on at this stage of the game for you. Enjoy school and find out as much as you can about the community and mission to help you decide when your time comes to select. As anyone on here will tell you, you WILL enjoy the platform and community you go to. It DOES NOT SUCK to be in Naval Aviation :D

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, who does THAT around here?!!?

I weep....

HAHAH, I was actually referring to the original post in this topic. The font/size just seemed to aggravate my eyes, though the flu may also be part to blame.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Thanks!

wait.... the Ass Kickin War Chickens never had more than a Class A on my watch!

Seriously though, I know my thread is kind of a joke, but is API going to be non-stop mindless banter about every asshole's ambition to fly this or that? So far all I hear from similar threads is " I wanted to fly jets ever since I got my first Kelly McGillis chub" and it is driving me nuts!

I've worked on many platforms and the P-3 is the favorite so far. I cut my teeth on the Prowler and then on to trainers. T-37, T-38, and T-34 for a very short spell. Next was rotary wing; CH-47, UH-60, UH-1, AH-1, AH-64, and OH-58s. I've recently worked on C-130s and P-3s and like the P-3s the best. One day I look forward to working on the A-4 and F-4 as a possible restoration project. I guess that is in the distant future. In my opinion, all platforms are as good as those that fly and maintain them. All are susceptible to problems, none greater than age and wear. Good luck with whatever you get!
Yeah, who does THAT around here?!!?

I weep....
I know not who you speak of. :confused: :eek: :D

i can hear you... !!!
What, did you turn up your hearing aid MEAN OL' HA'OLE MAN?

I keed, I keed! :D

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, to tell the truth, I am a bit annoyed by some in my situation. I am waiting to go to the biggest loser campus in Newport and actually started wondering the other day about what kind of a SNA I would become. Now I know every D-bag SNA select asks all you Salty Pretzels all the time about "what platform should I go?", "how do I get jets?", "how do I not get helos?", "how do I get coolest call sign?" bla bla waa waaa.... Just a tad annoying. If they only knew how freakin lucky they were to be trying.

ANY way. My question about platform selection is purely from a "preservation" standpoint. I am a proud (and soon to be formerly) big hammer swingin Framer. Beat the shit out of P-3's all they way up to QAR. Now I know I am a damn good mechanic, but I also know that I told many pickle "GOOD TO GO SIR", "proseal is just as good as a fastener", "That tire's got at least 2 more landings", and my personal favorite "fluid on the deck means she's full!". Now this brings me to my question. Which platform selection gives me the best chance of survival, given that from a karma point of view I'm kinda f**ked?

That post as a whole made my head hurt....and your actual question was what again???

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That post as a whole made my head hurt....and your actual question was what again???

Ditto, sounds like he's asking which platfrom has lowest mishap rate so he has best chance of "surviving". My answer is Mishap Rates are way down from when NATOPS was introduced five decades ago so asking this type question is close to ridiculous...mainly because it's not so much platform per se (material/maint failures are not what they used to be) as how good you are at the controls. You could go to a community that hasn't had a Class A in recent memory, but if you aren't on your game or up to the challenge, then you might well become the causal factor.

mdkaboom

My apologies if this thread caused actual physical harm.

The post was more of a joke/jab at the wonderful relationship between aircrews and maintenance which I was segwaying (poorly) into a question about eventually platform selections. Having spent all my time thus far in the VP community, I know very little of VFA/VQ/HS/HSL communities. When I look at the next few years of my career and choices that will be made by me (and for me), I tend to gear my questions about each platform more from a maintenance point of view. Example; when I first came to Jax, dirty thirty had at least 30+ aircraft and most of the other squadrons were juggling 7-10 each. When I left, I think there were about 1/3 as many for the whole wing. CMO was in full swing and every shop was elbow deep helping some kind of NADEP inspection. Lots of aircrews were doing collateral bullshit instead of flying. I'm sure there have been changes in the last few years, and that the P-8 is slowly rolling out, but do other communities have the same growing pains? (or arthritis). I'm fully aware that this shouldn't dictate any choices for upcoming hopefuls, just trying to get a big picture pulse from the fleet.

If this thread is just running in circles the Webmaster is welcomed to deep six it.:icon_tong