• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

K-ville Sim Status

kappu411

Naval Aviator
Hey punk What kind of nav set up is in the prowlers that the navy is flying, doe sit have a VCR what kind of tapes... so far the pics ive seen online of the ea6b looks like alot of steam inst's ... they still like that?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
kappu411 said:
Hey punk What kind of nav set up is in the prowlers that the navy is flying, doe sit have a VCR what kind of tapes... so far the pics ive seen online of the ea6b looks like alot of steam inst's ... they still like that?
I haven't seen Punk around in months, but I'd be glad to field your questions. Prowlers have a dual ring laser gyro INS system with integrated GPS. It's a pretty sh!t hot system that doesn't drift and is, for all intents and purposes, problem-free. Other than that, we've got TACAN/VOR/ILS/ICLS/ACLS. There are two color displays in the front seat for attitude and HSI. The HSI has a map mode that will display your programed flight plan/NAVAIDs/Etc and you can plug in points to define MOAs and what not. There's no HUD or tape system in the conventional sense. All the mission data is loaded from a proprietary tape system or PCM card in the backseat. Other than that, the front seat is pretty much all steam gages. There's an FMS style interface that integrates the Nav, HARM, radar cursor, and radios, as well as a digital fuel totalizer. Hope that gives you an idea. Fire away with any other questions.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
kappu411 said:
Hey punk What kind of nav set up is in the prowlers that the navy is flying...
I think Punk is momentarily preoccupied. Check back in a few months.

SingleSeat

Hey dudes, newbie to the forum, but I just had to jump in here.

A single steam gauge builds a whole picture once you have the experience to really see it, and that's probably why they're so beloved by diehards and old-timers. One gauge can show you a value, a rate, and a pure needle-position snapshot that you can consider later when your scan has moved to another instrument. But admittedly, they're all over the cockpit...so goes your scan, and each one is going to require it's own calibration.

Digital instruments provide precision, but seeing your altitude in a box just clicking away does you almost no good. It's just a number that barely relates to anything. That's why we end up with HUD gouge on where to place the VV to anticipate VSI mgmt. A VV connects all the useless numbers clicking by and makes them into a picture we can use. That's why I see some examples of difficulty with transition into the Hornet with analong-flyers since [some] guys would just stare at the useless number and try to guess when it's going to hit the value they're looking for -- kind of a tough game.

Fly 'em both and you'll be a better man for it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
SingleSeat said:
Hey dudes, newbie to the forum, but I just had to jump in here.

A single steam gauge builds a whole picture once you have the experience to really see it, and that's probably why they're so beloved by diehards and old-timers. One gauge can show you a value, a rate, and a pure needle-position snapshot that you can consider later when your scan has moved to another instrument. But admittedly, they're all over the cockpit...so goes your scan, and each one is going to require it's own calibration.

Digital instruments provide precision, but seeing your altitude in a box just clicking away does you almost no good. It's just a number that barely relates to anything. That's why we end up with HUD gouge on where to place the VV to anticipate VSI mgmt. A VV connects all the useless numbers clicking by and makes them into a picture we can use. That's why I see some examples of difficulty with transition into the Hornet with analong-flyers since [some] guys would just stare at the useless number and try to guess when it's going to hit the value they're looking for -- kind of a tough game.

Fly 'em both and you'll be a better man for it.

What a great description... and welcome to the forum.

I can gauge altitude and airspeed pretty effectively with jsut a number... but VSI is useless to me. I'm a VV guy for sure. You just figure out where to put it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FlyingBeagle said:
What is a steam gauge? Is this a jet thing?

Steam gauge = any instrument that's not digital... i.e. your standard altimeter is a "steam gauge". In other words, outdated ;)

FlyingBeagle

pilot
Haha, thanks. We call ours pitot-static or electric, so I was taking you guys literally and thinking you were talking about steam powered gauges. Somehow that didn't seem right, but what the hell do I know about jets.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FlyingBeagle said:
Haha, thanks. We call ours pitot-static or electric, so I was taking you guys literally and thinking you were talking about steam powered gauges. Somehow that didn't seem right, but what the hell do I know about jets.

Those are the real names. "Steam guage" is kind of a nickname, whatnot.

SingleSeat

...Don't know why I didn't mention this before, but...
Anyone notice how most sportbikes (motorcycles) off the showroom floor these days have digital speedometers yet they all have conventional tachometers?

Same deal. Conventional tach gives a pretty useful picture.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SingleSeat said:
Anyone notice how most sportbikes (motorcycles) off the showroom floor these days have digital speedometers yet they all have conventional tachometers?

Dunno, but my car has the same setup and I actually prefer it. Takes me a second to get re-used to an analog speedometer when I drive something else.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
SingleSeat said:

My bike has the digital tach. SUCKS HARD. I definetly prefer analog (on both really).

[jack]
The spedo used to be mechanical and counted front wheel rotations, now it measures final drive rotations... so if I change ANY sprockets, the spedo is off. Not so with the old way of doing business.
[/jack]

sniksnak

Flew Hornets when the Navy still did that
pilot
What's up at Kingsville?

Are new check-ins at NAS Kingsville flying the A or C model? Anyone with current knowledge, please share ... thanks!

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
They have classed up charlie students....but it will be split between alpha and charlie classes for a while. They still have a sh!t ton of alphas on the flight line and they are not going to sit there idle just because they have partial facilities for charlie training.