• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

K-ville Sim Status

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
Hey Folks-

Anyone have an update on the OFT status in K-ville? Are they going to be starting a "C" class anytime soon out there?

midhusker

Discovering my inner nerd-ness
FA-18 Mousse said:
Hey Folks-

Anyone have an update on the OFT status in K-ville? Are they going to be starting a "C" class anytime soon out there?

Doubt it. They only have one, or maybe two, C sims up and sort of running. They still have to train a bunch more sim instructors and actual pilots so it probably won't be for a few more months. You wanna be an Alpha guy. Who needs GPS, digital displays and velocity vectors anyway?

Schmuck

midhusker said:
You wanna be an Alpha guy. Who needs GPS, digital displays and velocity vectors anyway?

Who needs them? The Alpha guys who show up to the Hornet rag never flying a glass cockpit.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
midhusker said:
Doubt it. They only have one, or maybe two, C sims up and sort of running. They still have to train a bunch more sim instructors and actual pilots so it probably won't be for a few more months. You wanna be an Alpha guy. Who needs GPS, digital displays and velocity vectors anyway?

I love you Kingsville guys, you think you're so tough without your GINA and gucci HUD, then you get to the Hornet RAG and wonder how you lived without it. Give me a break. ;)

winger

FNG
Check up on the recent track record for Kville guys at the boat... specifically 22.

What is it like in the Hornet RAG, by the way?

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Schmuck said:
Who needs them? The Alpha guys who show up to the Hornet rag never flying a glass cockpit.

And those that Incomplete the first sims in the Harrier Rag because their scan is too slow.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schmuck said:

Thanks for your first hand account...

It's really not that difficult to go from the steam gauges of the -A to a glass cockpit. You Meridian guys who think it's some great leg up... ya... keep telling yourself that.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Dude, I flew the A model and am now in the hornet...pretty glad I flew the A-model in K-rock vice the C...the transition was pretty quick anyhow...no big deal. I think my scan in kingsville was much tougher than in the hornet, so I have a little of an appreciation. And the reference to 22 boat grades...looks like we have been doing alright without our gucci HUDs eh? A testament to k-rock LSOs....

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
The Meridian guys here have a HARD time relearning an instrument scan after becoming dependent on their HUD in the -C. That's right boys and girls, we can fly Prowlers off the boat without a HUD, its crazy.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
beach said:
Check up on the recent track record for Kville guys at the boat... specifically 22.

What is it like in the Hornet RAG, by the way?

Sorry buddy, but Meridian, specifically VT-7 has been doing sh!thot with boat quals lately. Hate to bust your bubble.

Yeah yeah, funny, except I do have FRIENDS there, you know what they are, right? (smiles in effect)

When you finishing up in Krock?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
The Meridian guys here have a HARD time relearning an instrument scan after becoming dependent on their HUD in the -C. That's right boys and girls, we can fly Prowlers off the boat without a HUD, its crazy.

Sigh. I can see it. I hated that thing in BIs and RIs, but hadn't realized what a HUD cripple I have become until FCLPs and a few horribly, horribly gooned up no-HUD passes . . .

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
latest on the sims.....pretty much same, same. One sim accepted, the other sim is conditionaly (sp?) accepted. One of the big problems they are trying to iron out is red lights showing up bright enough to see. it seems that a red ball does not show up...pretty much anything red dosen't show up(PAPI, VASI etc)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pcola04/30 said:
latest on the sims.....pretty much same, same. One sim accepted, the other sim is conditionaly (sp?) accepted. One of the big problems they are trying to iron out is red lights showing up bright enough to see. it seems that a red ball does not show up...pretty much anything red dosen't show up(PAPI, VASI etc)

Sounds like the projector in our ready room...

BrianUSMC

A closed mouth gathers no feet.
pilot
...as I watch olympic curling...

Are there any more differences between the A and C model other than glass? just wondering.