• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just selected, got questions

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
I just finished up from -31 a few weeks ago so if anyone's got questions fire away. When I checked in -35 was the gouge better place to be. I think somewhat due to the -31 CO at the time being less than stellar. That's changed and the current skipper is excellent. I would have no reservations telling anyone to go -31. The air force IPs are all Herc guys and all I encountered were chill. I think the Navy guys are getting a bad rap. Yeah, they're P-3 guys and they expect you to know some systems but I gather that's not going to change when you hit the P-3. Obviously, know your shit and you'll have no problem, none are unreasonably harsh.

The TC-12 may have longer legs but they still have to stop on the way to Vegas so who really cares. Some people make a big deal out of getting a type rating from -35. Which is great if in 8 years you plan to go fly that model King Air. Otherwise its pretty insignificant since you get the same commercial/multi-engine/instrument ratings. Plus the I think the first class to fly T-44C's is next month. Same old airframes but with snazzy new glass cockpits.

And as far as less studs? Perhaps, but less instructors and planes too. All the Navy guys in my class were finished before any of the Navy guys that winged with us from -35.