• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just selected, got questions

DiceC2

I just selected P-3's today, and I'm wondering what to do with my family. I guess training in Corpus is about 6 months, but how long is the FRS? Are there any wait times? When do we actually select our fleet squadron? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
DiceC2 said:
I just selected P-3's today, and I'm wondering what to do with my family. I guess training in Corpus is about 6 months, but how long is the FRS? Are there any wait times? When do we actually select our fleet squadron? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I recommend bringing the fam to Corpus. Training may only be 6 months but that does not account for any time waiting to class up while you're at TRAWING 4. You're probably looking at being in Corpus 8-9 months total. Advanced is less stressful than primary so you'll probably have more quality time to spend with the family. The FRS is also slated for about 6 months but you may not class up right away there either. I got here in Jax in mid-May and class up July 18.

As far as selecting fleet squadrons, from what I've been told, you'll submit another dream sheet as soon as you class up and request what fleet squadron you want and find out a couple weeks later.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
I selected E2/C2 in Feb of this year and classed up 2 months later. Guy I selected with got P-3's and classed up two weeks ahead of me. If you wind up in VT-31 the squadron is pretty stud heavy right now...so I wouldnt plan on 'flying' through the sylabus. I would also rec bringing the Fam......decent bit of down time in your future IMHO.

bluesmobile

P-3 copilot
pilot
Advanced P-3 is one of the few navy training programs that actually sets a rigid time frame for your training. They give you your wing date the day you class up...mine was six months almost to the day, and I'm sure that's pretty standard. Add the time in the wing before and after, and you're looking at anywhere between 7 and 9 months. The time in the wing is mostly "muster at 7:45, then go home" time with occasional duty, so tons of free time. The program itself is mostly front-loaded - most of your studying will be during your first two months (with the exception of review stage, about a week or so later in the program). With that said, you'll have more free time than you did in API and primary, so I'll echo the other two guys and recommend you bring the family.

As far as the FRS goes, I waited 2 months once I got to Jax, and that's probably one of the longest waits of the people in my class. Classes are big and not very often, so it's all timing. The FRS is about 6-7 months for P-3C, and about half that for EP-3E (you'll choose airframe right before you get winged). If you're P-3, you'll put in a second dream sheet on the day you class up, and find out your final squadron about a month later. If you're EP-3, then you know when you get winged, and by the time you get there it'll probably be only Whidbey for the EP folks. Hope that answers your questions.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
Congrats on selecting P-3's! The beast is a blast to fly. The advanced syllabus is definitely instrument intensive. Try to enjoy your time in Corpus, even though people like to bash it. I highly recommend visiting mustang stables on the island.. you can ride horseback on the beach for $30. There is a taqueria jalisco on every corner.. great authentic mexican food. Avoid bay point apartments on ennis joslin rd... i heard they'll try to screw ya. You can rent a nice apartment/house on the island for relatively cheap... I lived at Beach Club apartments on whitecap blvd.. short walk to the beach and the management rocks. there is one "main" road that goes through Corpus called the S.P.I.D..lots of restaurants and shops along this road.. the drivers in corpus are insane... they think yield means stop, so watch out for them. For your cross country try and get a flight of birds to Vegas. Flying over the grand canyon and seeing the vegas strip is just awesome... "Head direct stratosphere.. cleared for the visual" T-44 is pretty fun to fly.. you won't really appreciate that until your form flight though... Good idea to secure the toilet.

DiceC2

Thanks for the info, you guys rock. One more question, though: What's the deal with the TC-12? I never heard of that possibility until yesterday. Do I have a choice of 12's or 44's? Which is better? Thanks again.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Go to VT-31 you fly the T-44, go to VT-35 you fly the TC-12. -12 is a little bigger....but all things considered no real difference. Depends on when you check in and what squadron is taking studs.

bluesmobile

P-3 copilot
pilot
The program is exactly the same whether you go T-44's or C-12's. An advantage to TC-12's is that you are eligible to get a type rating once you get winged and apply for civilian ratings. I flew T-44's and didn't get any type rating, but I don't see the type rating as a big deal (i don't plan on renting anything larger than a C-172 in the near future). TC-12's are a little bigger, faster, and newer, but you're gonna get stuck with the same single-engine emergencies no matter what squadron you're in. An advantage to T-44's is that VT-31 is a bigger squadron with more aircraft, and in most cases their students finish the syllabus faster as a result. VT-35 sometimes flies on Saturdays to catch up, while I never had a weekend flight in VT-31. Not sure how it is now with more students in the squadron, but that's how it was 6 months ago. Hard to say which is better...each has it's pros and cons, so I guess it depends on what matters to you.

With that said, the only way you get any say is if there are slots open for each squadron when you check in. Most times, you just take whatever squadron they give you.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
when i was in advanced several months ago VT-35 was doing their "sims" in the plane.. which kinda sux i think. The T-44 has this antequated avionics suite that's a whore to learn during CPT's. VT-31 is a larger squadron which means you'll probably fly with more instructors... if you want more variety of instruction that's a good thing.. but if you deal better with consistency of instruction then VT-35 is probably better for you. From what I hear it's a lot harder to get 5's in VT-31 than in 35. So if your ego doesn't deal well with a bunch of 2's at the beginning of the syllabus.. something to think about... grades all equal out when it comes to NSS in the end. Rumors of advanced being more laid back than primary are greatly exaggerated. I still had to call all my instructors "sir" and the briefs/flights were just as intense. Half your winging class will be air force c-130 pilots and there might be a couple marine and coasties in there too. Former P-3 pilots are the hardest instructors from my experience... they'll grill you on anything. Once you get to the RAG/FRS the atmosphere is 180 degrees different. They treat you like aviators and officers and you won't ever call an O-3 "sir" again. Hundreds of enlisted here too. So you gotta remember that you have to set an example... sometimes hard to do when you just crashed the plane in the sim with your enlisted FE watching. ;-)

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Welcome to the club! I just finished the RAG in Jax, most of what's said above is good stuff... The syllabus in JAX is about 7 months, EP-3 about 6 weeks less. They start classes here about every 6 weeks. I thought VT-31 was much more laid back than Primary, where the RAG has been more intense than VT-31. Just my .02. PM if you have any further questions. Good Luck!

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
smittyrunr said:
They start classes here about every 6 months. I thought VT-31 was much more laid back than Primary, where the RAG has been more intense than VT-31.

every 6 weeks you mean. hmm, I think studying-wise the RAG is more intense.. but the attitude is definitely more laid back. Stand by for the 5 hour CPT briefs and the 4AM preflights.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Woohoo! Another one!

Prepare yourself for a dynamic, exciting, and challenging future....well, it is challenging. Seriously though, it's a pretty good community to be in. Enjoy advanced. I had a great time there and as stated above, it's all front loaded. Once you get into RI's (which is the majority) you'll do the same thing over and over...and over...and over... you get the idea. You'll be so damn good at shooting a BC Loc to an ILS that you can handle all the comms, eat your lunch, and complete your checklists while doing it. Not that you'll ever be that good again.... :)

Enjoy the time in Corpus, it's not a bad town, especially with a family. Living on base with a family is a pretty good deal, actually, close to work and all the free AC you can use. The RAG was really laid back when i was there, but i hear that's changed. Nevertheless, take advantage of the time you have off, especially after winging. once you're winged, your clock starts and there is no reason to be in a hurry!

Congrats again!

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
I never want to fly with another Navy guy for as long as I live..

99% of the Air Force IP's in VT-31 were way cool.. while only about 10% of the Navy pukes were..

Pretty sure both squadrons have Air Force IP's..

*shrug*

:D

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dice, congrats. Think everyone covered it, but I will add my two cents, bring the family! We weren't enamored with south texas (and before I get too many flames, I am a Texan, so I can say that :)). But you will have plenty of time to spend with them. Syllabus definitely has its rough points, but by this point in the game you know what and how to study, so that should not pose a problem for you. Now, I am frankly AMAZED to hear that you are calling everyone "sir". I think I did that out of respect, but I recall it being more laid back (not as laid back as the FRS though).

Anyways, best of luck, got any questions shoot me a PM. While I am not up to date on the pipeline, either Zab or I can help answer any of the community or first tour questions. Also, if you haven't already, join the private P3 forum, there are some good posts there for down the road.

John