• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just selected, got questions

NavyLonghorn

Right now, im just curious about hearing over and over again that their just arent any planes. What is the community doing to adapt to the ageing airframe?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The short version:

Less pilots per squadron, more sim training (i.e. pilot and tactical trainers), talk of not every pilot making Patrol Plane Commander. Don't count on many airshows or non-essential trips (the days of "airways navigation training...to Vegas" are probably over).

Don't count on anyone reducing the operational requirements. The community will continue to do everything to meet whatever demands the Fleet makes. Whether this is a good thing or not is better discussed at happy hour. Beyond our level anyway.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NavyVance said:
seems like at the same time their is kinda a P-3 draft... oh well.. im excited... corpus here i come.

just like any community...feast or famine...there's always a draft going on somewhere

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
zab1001 said:
The community will continue to do everything to meet whatever demands the Fleet makes.
Actually, P3 community is still always there to provide services, but gone are the days of no return on that time. HONA/TLI hours are protected, and if there isn't any training value to the crew, then sorry, MPA aren't coming to the exercise. It is amusing to watch the brokered deals from the sub and swo types to get an MPRA asset onstation.

Operational commitments are another story....

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
yeah, I should have clarified, I meant real world stuff.

Webmaster is smart, I am dumb.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Webmaster is smart, I am dumb.
OR, this could be read as "webmaster is spending waaaay too much time with NUKES and is becoming as ANAL as they are...." YOU decide.. :D

TransvestFO

Seven years of college, down the drain.
Congrats on P-3's. My advice is to be careful. The aircraft are getting older and being flown in ways that don't optimize their design characteristics. I predict more and more engine failures as engines are run high and hot and more and more airframe corrosion issues. Just be patient and thorough.

I love that bit about training value to our crews and "sorry, we're not coming to your exercise". Maybe I'm just getting old but that sounds so silly. Every time wheels go in the well, there is potential for training value. And, oh by the way, I think the Navy will somehow manage to endeavor to persevere without the almighty P-3 showing up ONSTA. That kind of statement is what makes our community seem like a bunch of unrealistic, egotistical chuckleheads.

I must also say that there is some legitimacy to what that angry Coastie said above. Why a P-3 pilot wouldn't be in a 24-7 good mood while flying twin-engine in Corpus on his second tour is beyond me. I have never seen so many "shoe like", eat your young, you are new so shut up officers in any other aviation community. I wish it weren't that way, and of course,that's just my opinion. Maybe some of you new guys can change it. Please try. Remember, flying is fun!

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
yeah the Navy IP's in advanced are pretty tough. Completely different once you get to the FRS... they still expect a lot from you but won't rip off your head and puke down your neck in the process.

TransvestFO said:
Congrats on P-3's. My advice is to be careful. The aircraft are getting older and being flown in ways that don't optimize their design characteristics. I predict more and more engine failures as engines are run high and hot and more and more airframe corrosion issues. Just be patient and thorough.

I love that bit about training value to our crews and "sorry, we're not coming to your exercise". Maybe I'm just getting old but that sounds so silly. Every time wheels go in the well, there is potential for training value. And, oh by the way, I think the Navy will somehow manage to endeavor to persevere without the almighty P-3 showing up ONSTA. That kind of statement is what makes our community seem like a bunch of unrealistic, egotistical chuckleheads.

I must also say that there is some legitimacy to what that angry Coastie said above. Why a P-3 pilot wouldn't be in a 24-7 good mood while flying twin-engine in Corpus on his second tour is beyond me. I have never seen so many "shoe like", eat your young, you are new so shut up officers in any other aviation community. I wish it weren't that way, and of course,that's just my opinion. Maybe some of you new guys can change it. Please try. Remember, flying is fun!

Albrizzle

BAMF
pilot
Ok, well I just selected last week and will enjoying Corpus for about 6 more months with VT-31. I'd been hearing good things about the switch to advanced from primary, but I must say the coastie is getting me a little "concernicus" about what to expect from my soon to be instructors...

I never want to fly with another Navy guy for as long as I live..

99% of the Air Force IP's in VT-31 were way cool.. while only about 10% of the Navy pukes were..

Pretty sure both squadrons have Air Force IP's..

*shrug*

:D

GRANTED, he may just be doing a little hating, but is anybody currently in Advanced interested in chiming in on the climates of either/both -31 and -35? My buddies who went through are a little far removed to give an accurate assessment of the current state of things. Thanks to everyone else for the info on all the different selection possibilities, this website was a lot of help to me about a week ago when I was losing sleep over making my final decision for selection.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Last I heard, 35 was still the place to be... with 31 getting better since august.

If your going to be in 31 then theres nothing you can do about it. Stay under the radar, don't suck, play the stupid games and you'll be fine. Hopefully you'll luck out and get an AF or Marine on-wing. That being said, the uber anal retentiveness of many of the Navy guys will help you be very well prepared for post fam flights (especially review stage). There were only a couple of IPs that I didn't like flying with. Of the two, one was Air Force and the other was Navy. Depending on the flight, even the K's can be cool.

Like primary- show up to the brief prepared, don't suck at ground ops don't be dangerous in the air, and the grade sheets should stay white.

Snacks

Everyone leave, I have to poop. NOW!!!
Zippy is right, 35 is still the place to be. Better plane, better sims, LESS studs. The rest of his info is good too. If you get the chance to get into 35, go for it.

Orion

pilot
As a current VT-31 stud, I have to say that the instructors are not nearly as tough as described above. There are 3 out of the 30-something that you have to look out for, but the rest are really laid back and want to actually teach you something. Additionally, I haven't found any real difference between branches. I thought I would hate AF instructors, but everyone seems to be pretty cool.

DirtyShirt

I thought I would hate AF instructors, but everyone seems to be pretty cool.
That's because they're all Herk drivers. Overall the "place to be" squadron changes about once a year. When I was there is was VT-31, but that has changed several times since. Corpus is awesome either way. Don't get wrapped up in the whole "which squadron" mindset.

Regarding the planes, don't worry to much either. They are both so close it barely registers. The 12s have longer legs and a little more power, but analog instruments. 44s are a little more nimble and have the NCS-31 and the God Box.

Either way, enjoy training and max your time at the Executive Surf Club and Farrah's.