• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Junk in NATOPS

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I'm not sure if PMA-290 sources its EFBs through -2whatever that sources them for -299, but if so, I'm sure they're a poor substitute for what everyone else in the industry uses. But we've been down this rant-hole before.
PMA-281?
I got to see some "imminent" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 models before leaving Pax, but still haven't seen them in the fleet.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
PMA-281?
I got to see some "imminent" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 models before leaving Pax, but still haven't seen them in the fleet.

It's whichever office does cruise missiles, as well. Google wasn't giving me a solid answer yesterday, so I just gave up.

My last interaction with them was probably some time in 2017 and after an email exchange that made me want to smash my computer screen, the overall message (besides it being clear they had no actual knowledge of how EFBs work) was that HSM/HSC was last on the list to get them. The iPads that were in some squadrons already were CVW purchases and issue.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
What kind of batt life are you getting in terms of hours? Along those lines, how are they being used?
It probably depends hugely on how bright you have the screen.

On my company iPad (not Navy), the quick-off virtual button on my screen, combined with the fingerprint sensor on the real button, save all kinds of battery life. The fingerprint sensor makes it a cinch to turn the thing on without looking at the screen to put in my PIN. That makes me more likely to turn the thing off more frequently, even if it's for only a couple minutes that I don't need it on. The virtual button saves fumbling with the real off button too.

Dunno what the Samsung tablets do that's equivalent to those two functions, but I do want to emphasize just how much battery those help to save.

OT- the fingerprint button on my android phone is also extremely useful when I want to mark a cop on Waze. ?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
On my company iPad (not Navy), the quick-off virtual button on my screen, combined with the fingerprint sensor on the real button, save all kinds of battery life. The fingerprint sensor makes it a cinch to turn the thing on without looking at the screen to put in my PIN. That makes me more likely to turn the thing off more frequently, even if it's for only a couple minutes that I don't need it on. The virtual button saves fumbling with the real off button too.

A fingerprint button? Are you from the future?

We just have ours unlocked all the time, so all you have to do is push the Home button. If I'm shooting an approach, I'll just leave it on the whole time for quick reference. We also have an inverter and a 110V plug up front if we need to charge one up, along with a second spare that's Wifi only. Not that the LTE is ever turned on while flying.

Do you guys have a charging option in COMAIR? We're not required to have a plug, but are required to have the second unit onboard in order to meet OPSPECs.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Do you guys have a charging option in COMAIR? We're not required to have a plug, but are required to have the second unit onboard in order to meet OPSPECs.

The 737 has a plug behind the copilot's head. Each pilot carried their own issued iPad as well as a 3rd, as a contingency. Somehow in the VR world we managed to keep them charged, sometimes even hot seating them several times when the jet stayed moving for days on end.

I don't know what the problem is in the P-8.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
We have plugs under the pilot’s side windows where the EFBs are mounted. We added them went we started no paper.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
No plugs built in to the cockpit/modified but company-issued charging bricks... pretty decent ones actually.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
The new CRJs we are getting from the factory have plugs in them. But that is a small portion of the fleet. Managing battery power is something think about on the long 5 leg days, but on two or 3 leg days it's no worries.

Captains are issued external battery packs for charging, but I rarely use it. I use my personal one occasionally though.

We are getting new iPad in a month or so. The fresh batteries should help out.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The new CRJs we are getting from the factory have plugs in them. But that is a small portion of the fleet. Managing battery power is something think about on the long 5 leg days, but on two or 3 leg days it's no worries.

Captains are issued external battery packs for charging, but I rarely use it. I use my personal one occasionally though.

We are getting new iPad in a month or so. The fresh batteries should help out.

I assume you guys use Foreflight for FAA pubs? What about flight manuals, TOs, etc? For non-FAA (AFMAN/AFI/etc) we use Goodreader.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I assume you guys use Foreflight for FAA pubs? What about flight manuals, TOs, etc? For non-FAA (AFMAN/AFI/etc) we use Goodreader.

We use DropBox and everything is synced through the company sharepoint. Obviously we're smaller than an airline, but the overall process works okay. I think Goodreader can sync as well, correct?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Jeppesen is pretty much the standard for Part 121 carriers. Company stuff is in secure locker. Will be interesting to see how things change with Jepps buying Foreflight.

Edit: A300/310 have multiple plugs. EFB plugged in and then a couple others which you can charge phone or iPad. Also they changed the EFB mounts, so when you remove EFB, it becomes an antenna for the iPad GPS which does a very good job of showing “ships” position on charts.