• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Junk in NATOPS

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Has anyone ever found something in their platforms NATOPS manual and wondered, "Why is this in here"?
Short answer? Yes. Slightly longer answer . . . now it's not even good as cocktail party trivia, because who the hell cares when the CSD decouples on a J52-P-408A turbojet? The private sector, admittedly, also has its own flavors of stupid. Different ones, but still stupid.

Edit: I will admit that during my time as NATOPS officer, I scrubbed the squadron's closed book exams of all bullshit NATOPS trivia. If you couldn't see/manipulate the number in the cockpit, or if knowing the exact number made no difference to your ability to handle an EP situation or otherwise operate the jet, it was yanked the hell out of my tests.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The pointy-nosed communities are much more reasonable when it comes to random NATOPS knowledges than some other communities.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Has anyone ever found something in their platforms NATOPS manual and wondered, "Why is this in here"?
Chapter 1, most of chapter 2, most of chapter 3, at least half of chapter 4, chapter 5, most of chapter 6, chapter 8 (there’s another pub for that), chapter 11 is absurd, half of chapter 12, and then the rest (MH-60R goes to 25[?]).

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will say in P-8 we've gotten a lot better about not asking minutiae type questions for the most part.

thump

pilot
The whole book...the important stuff is in the NATIP
The only memory item in the H-60 is EMIF, everything else is “do pilot shit” and/or in the checklist. Chapter 4 is irrelevant if you have color vision.

Also, we (HSM) would have fewer ALFS mishaps if people understood that system (NATIP) better instead of memorizing bullshit limits and the 19 functions of the DECU.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
The only memory item in the H-60 is EMIF, everything else is “do pilot shit” and/or in the checklist. Chapter 4 is irrelevant if you have color vision.

Also, we (HSM) would have fewer ALFS mishaps if people understood that system (NATIP) better instead of memorizing bullshit limits and the 19 functions of the DECU.
Here, here! MFAMIA (Make Freestream a Memory Item Again)!

I've saved two domes freestreaming without the checklist, and both Skippers were happy I did it.

Dontcallmegump

pilot
Here, here! MFAMIA (Make Freestream a Memory Item Again)!

I've saved two domes freestreaming without the checklist, and both Skippers were happy I did it.

What is this freestreaming you speak of?

I feel that if I googled it (or worse yet, used the search bar), I may miss out on not only one, but two entertaining stories on how "domes" were spared.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
First, you'd need to Google why we even call the TA a dome, because I have no idea.

OscarMyers

None
Whats even worse is when you ask why something is in the E-2D NATOPS and the answer is "its probably a hold over from the E-2C." While there are a lot of similarities, they are practically two entire different aircraft...

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Whats even worse is when you ask why something is in the E-2D NATOPS and the answer is "its probably a hold over from the E-2C." While there are a lot of similarities, they are practically two entire different aircraft...
The H-60B, F, H, and R are all the same airframe, but the airspeed limit for opening/closing the cabin door is different (10 KIAS less for B & R). Rumor has it they just copied and pasted the H-2 limit into the B NATOPS and the H-3 limit into the F/H NATOPS.